Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Opening Pool - Converting to Chlorine

1. Back To Top    #1

Opening Pool - Converting to Chlorine

Hello,

Been a quiet reader on this forum for a few years but and I did some research but remain confused. I have a 24' above ground pool that is currently winterized sitting frozen solid since November. What would I need to do to convert Bacquacil to chlorine when I open the pool in May and where can I find the start up and maintenance procedures for a chlorine pool? Thank you very much for any help you can give me.

Bryan

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Opening Pool - Converting to Chlorine

This should get you started: Pool School - Convert Your Baqua Pool to Chlorine

Good luck!
    20'x48' 40,000 gal. Vinyl, Pentair Intelliflo 2 VST, Sta-Rite PLM300 System 2 Cartridge Filter, and a Pentair Mastertemp 250 heater all controlled by Pentair Easy Touch with Screen Logic. Dolphin Premier pool attendant.
    I've got iron stained well water. TF-100 and Speed Stir, Lamotte 3017-G for Borates

3. Back To Top    #3

That's a good article in Pool School, but if your water costs aren't very high you may be better off completely draining and cleaning and then refilling and starting new with chlorine.

You don't say what type filter you have, but if it's a sand filter, you're going to have to replace the sand either way.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Have you used the CDX product from Baquacil? How much sanitizer did you have in the pool when you closed?
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

5. Back To Top    #5

Yes a lot.

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Lbush1205 View Post
    Yes a lot.
    You might consider draining the pool then. CDX and excess sanitizer makes the conversion process a lot slower. You will spend weeks trying to convert it.

Are you able to drain your pool? Can you please update your signature with your pool details.
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates