Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Do you think two returns and one skimmer is sufficient for my pool?

1. Back To Top    #1

Do you think two returns and one skimmer is sufficient for my pool?

We just finished up our pool build (16 X 37 with 8 ft deep end). I didn't really know enough to question it in the beginning but I'm wondering now if it would have been a better setup to have a second skimmer instead of just one wide mouth? Also maybe some jets over on the steps since debris seems to love to hang out there? I'm hoping everyone will say no and that I'm fine because it's a little late in the game now to change but was still curious if what I have is enough to be efficient at skimming and circulating the pool.

Thanks!
    Built in Feb 2018, 19K Matrix Vinyl Pool 16x37 (8ft deep end), 1,890 sq ft concrete decking
    Pentair IntelliFlo, Pentair IntelliChlor IC-40, Pentair Triton II Sand Filter, Pentair IntelliBrite 5G Color LED
    TF100 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Do you think two returns and one skimmer is sufficient for my pool?

R,

The pool at my daughter's house has one skimmer and only two returns and it works fine. Would I like another skimmer and more returns? Yes I would, but as you say... a little too late now.

Not sure how they are set now, but you could try setting your two eyeballs pointing so that they try to force the surface water to rotate, like in a toilet bowl.. You may have to play with your pump speed to get what you want.

That said.. it is never going to be perfect..

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.
    Finished in 2015 - 17K Gal, IG, 20' x 25' Almost Rectangular Pool, Pebble finish, three rockport water falls. Pentair Equipment: EasyTouch 4, IC40 SWG, 3 HP VS Pump, CCP520 Cartridge Filter.
    TF100 with SpeedStir and SampleSizer, ColorQ Pro 7, Dolphin Premier Robot Cleaner, added Screen Logic 2, added small 3 person Caldera Spa.

3. Back To Top    #3

My in laws pool was 16x36 and worked fine with 2 returns and 1 skimmer. We haven't used our pool yet but I think it has 2 skimmers, 3 returns, 2 jets in the swimout/bench and 1 jet on the stairs. Seems like overkill but I'm guessing this is a case where too many is a good thing?
    Pool Build (2017) ~24k Gal IG Vinyl 18x36 Lazy L Pool
    Equipment: Hayward 1.85HP TriStar VS pump, C3030 SwimClear cartridge filter, AquaPlus PL-Plus SWG w/T-CELL-15, ColorLogic LED Light, TF-100 w/Speed Stir, Taylor K-1766

4. Back To Top    #4

Do you also have a main drain? Two skimmers are not necessary but I like to see two separate sources of suction in case one ever fails. So a main drain and one skimmer are fine. Also I have jets in the steps (one each side on one step only) and two on my bench. Don't worry about that, they don't clean anyting to be of value, you'll still need to brush once in a while. The kids like it when the heater is on and it's warm water coming out though
    Inground, vinyl liner, 16 x 32 (approx. 21k gallons), roman end w/ bench, 2 Jandy LED lights
    Pump: Jandy Flopro, 1.5 hp Heater: Raypak, 266k btu (P-R266-A-EN-C; nat gas) Filter: Jandy C340 (cartridge filter) Robot: Doheny's Dolphin Discovery SWCG: Circupool RJ45

5. Back To Top    #5

That's a very common setup to have.

My pool is about the same size and has just one skimmer and 2 returns.
    16x32 IG Vinyl, 13,000 Gals. Hayward S-244T sand filter, SP2810X15 pump
    (1.5 HP motor) Raypak PR266AEN (266k btu) gas heater. TF-100 Test Kit.
    Dolphin E10 Cleaning Robot.

6. Back To Top    #6

I'm glad that it sounds like my setup is sufficient.

Nectar.....yes, I have 2 main drains, 2 returns and and 1 skimmer.
    Built in Feb 2018, 19K Matrix Vinyl Pool 16x37 (8ft deep end), 1,890 sq ft concrete decking
    Pentair IntelliFlo, Pentair IntelliChlor IC-40, Pentair Triton II Sand Filter, Pentair IntelliBrite 5G Color LED
    TF100 Test Kit

7. Back To Top    #7

I have one skimmer, 3 returns and one main drain.

I think the more important thing to know was the skimmer placed in the best place to take advantage of the breezes in the the yard? The skimmer is for the surface, not the bottom. The returns help "push" debris towards the skimmer and the breezes certainly help that!

Maddie
    Maddie :) 12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Skippy's Pool Cooler --> Skippy's New Fountain Our Build --> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard

8. Back To Top    #8

Question, is the return jet on white plastic steps “put in” by the pb or does it come that way when they order the steps?

Pool Built June 2018,
    16x32, 20K, IG vinyl,
    2 speed Jandy Pro Plus Pump, Jandy JS Sand Filter, Jandy Tru-Clear SWG,
    JANDY JXI POOL HEATER/260K BTU, Polaris 280 + Booster, TF 100 Test Kit

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by JodieM View Post
    Question, is the return jet on white plastic steps “put in” by the pb or does it come that way when they order the steps?
    Ours came with the return jet. The PB hooked up the one on the return side and plugged the one on the skimmer side.
    Pool Build (2017) ~24k Gal IG Vinyl 18x36 Lazy L Pool
    Equipment: Hayward 1.85HP TriStar VS pump, C3030 SwimClear cartridge filter, AquaPlus PL-Plus SWG w/T-CELL-15, ColorLogic LED Light, TF-100 w/Speed Stir, Taylor K-1766

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by awstevens View Post
    Ours came with the return jet. The PB hooked up the one on the return side and plugged the one on the skimmer side.
    Thanks! I think step jets are very important. Had them one one pool and not the next and I really missed them.

Pool Built June 2018,
    16x32, 20K, IG vinyl,
    2 speed Jandy Pro Plus Pump, Jandy JS Sand Filter, Jandy Tru-Clear SWG,
    JANDY JXI POOL HEATER/260K BTU, Polaris 280 + Booster, TF 100 Test Kit

11. Back To Top    #11

We have a similar sized pool, 15,000 gal, and have a single skimmer (no main drains) and 2 returns. Looking back, I'd have put in more but it's worked OK for 20 years.
    Keith
    15,000 gallon in-ground gunite/plaster pool, 1.5" PVC plumbing
    1.0HP Sta-Rite DuraGlass P2R pump, Hayward S244T sand filter
    Teledyne-Laars Lite-2 250k heater, Hayward CL200 chlorinator
    Polaris 380/Hayward 6060 booster pump

12. Back To Top    #12

I think it would be fine. We have one skimmer and 4 returns (plus one for the heat pump). Our pool will be about half your size, but think it was overkill on pbs behalf.

3.2 x 6m | inground concrete | ~27,000 litre | 1.2 - 1.8m | salt and pepper mini pebble | SWCG Atral eq35| Viron xt 1.5 HP VS pump | Astral CA280 sand filter | DB3 robot | 2 x LED lights | travertine coping and paving | ceramic waterline tile |

13. Back To Top    #13

I'm assuming trying to add stair jets or additional skimmer/jets would be nearly impossible after the fact without at least taking the liner out and somehow tunneling around or else cutting up the concrete? I think I'm be fine as is, but still makes me wish I had at least more seriously considered it when we started and there were endless possibilities =/
    TF100 Test Kit