Baxley, GA
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-45
Pulled back my winter cover this week and noticed some stuff spread out along the floor of my pool. Hard to tell if its dark green or brown. My first assumption was that it was algae that formed over the winter, however when I did my first test prior to adding anything to the pool this year, my FC was 11.5 and CC was 0.5 (a faintest hint of pink). My next thought was either dirt or iron from my high iron well. Figured probably not dirt since when brushed it all seems to dissolve into the water and then precipitates again a few hours later. Next I figured iron from refilling the pool right after pulling back the cover, however with FC at 11.5, I imagine I'd see some greenish tint to the water from oxidized iron that's in the water. (Can't remember if that's ferrous or ferric iron)

Anyone have any ideas what this could be?

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited:
I would imagine that the debris you're seeing is probably micro solids that we're floating in your pool last season having settled over the winter. If your chlorine level is that high then it's nothing to worry about, just vac it up and you should be good to go! As long as you lower that FC..

DateFCCCPHTACHCYATempSaltCSI
03/07/18 1:59 PM8.5.57.6--------2800-1.72[FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
03/07/18 5:36 AM9.5.57.860------2560-1.52[FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
03/06/18 12:10 PM10.507.450------2200-1.98[FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
03/05/18 2:24 PM11.50.57.5502040651200-1.72[FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
Was surprised to find there was still chlorine in the pool when I took off the cover, last time I added any was when I closed the pool back in December. Chlorine is slowly falling to normal range now, and adding salt to turn on the new SWG. Still waiting on the last addition of salt to fully dissolve.

Very good test results! Your CH is low (but not too low) but that certainly has nothing to do with the visible "dirt"......and that would be my idea as to what that residue is......just dirt and will vacuum up and not return.

Looks like you are managing your pool water very nicely......good work!

My well has a CH of 30, and the pool's CH tends to drift down towards 0 as I drain little amounts when it starts pouring outside. From my understanding, vinyl needs no CH at all, so no harm in having it super low and reducing the chances of scaling, right?

Gotta get a new vac soon, so i'll know then if its just dirt. Bought an Aqua Critter or something from Hayward towards the end of last fall and it didn't work worth a d*mn, so I returned it. Getting a Dolphin E10 soon instead.

There is some thinking that SOME CH is beneficial.....even in a vinyl pool. I seem to remember around 100 as a target but I am not sure that the consequences of NOT having it have ever been truly documented.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.