Hayward Low Salt SWG

gsrel

Aug 29, 2017
Toronto, Canada
Not sure if this is an "Only in Canada" thing but has anyone used Hayward's Low Salt system? I think they started it due to local max salt limit when draining into the city sewer system.

My ProLogic 8 has the option of running in Low Salt mode with a T-15 cell only. Since I have a fairly small pool (6,000gal) does it make more sense to run the SWG at a lower % and higher ppm (2,700-3,400) or at a higher % at a lower ppm (1,200-1,800)?

I think traditionally, higher salt pools are likely more efficient at producing more chlorine, and that a lower salt configuration was developed as a response to environmental concerns. Environmentally, there are concerns about the impact of discharged salt water on freshwater watersheds.

Functionally, I'm guessing a cell might last longer generating in a higher salt pool.

If the swg is retrofit and if the pool in question has stainless steel elements, a lower salt environment may theoretically reduce corrosion/prolong lifespan of metal elements proportionately.

These are "best guesses" on my part...might be worth asking Hayward. But the choice if not governed by bylaw would be a personal preference on your part.

Eg. If I had a low salt option available I might consider it even if it meant I spent more on cells every so many years because I live on a hill near a freshwater river with a sand filter that gets backwashed, and as such, I do have a concern about contributing unwanted salinity to my local watershed...but obviously not concerned enough to have forgone the convenience of the swg in the first place ;)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.