removing sand in pool

Jun 5, 2007
Massachusetts
I had a huge disaster that involved broken sand bags and a clogged pump this week...I still have a little bit of sand in the pool I need to get out but now I'm afraid to vacuum ANY amount of sand and kill another pump. how else do you get sand out, maybe I'm just not thinking right today but nothing is jumping out as a solution. I have a cartridge filter, evidently it allows some sand to pass right through and into pump motor

If you try connecting your vacuum to a vacuum plate, put a skimmer sock on the skimmer basket, then connect the vacuum plate to the skimmer, the skimmer sock should keep the sand from making it to the filter.

After further thought, you said the sand was making it through the filter, so it would seem that it would also make it through the skimmer sock. Oh well, I tried.

amie, are you sure the sand is passing through the filter into the pump? Typically the pump/motor is before the filter. I'd try the skimmer sock approach Dave typed out. maybe double up on the socks/knee highs to increase the fine filtration ability?

You might consider the pool buster. It's like a little battery powered hand vac that you can use manually either on a pole or by hand. Kind of pricey though just for this use.

I understand your reluctance based on your recent experience, but if it's small amounts of sand, I'd be inclined to just vacuum it up.

Amieelynne, it's me again :) You can use a skimmer sock if you vac through the skimmer with the basket in. You can also use a knee high to do the same thing (line the basket with the knee high before vacuuming) If you put the vac hose directly into the skimmer suction port, you can line the pump basket with the knee high to prevent the sand from causing a 3rd motor replacement 8) After what happened the other day, I'd use the sock or knee high to protect the impeller :wink:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.