Hot tub recommendations

todd.brock

Silver Supporter
Jan 18, 2018
Cincinnati/OH
Hello-

I am looking for suggestions on a freestanding hot tub. Are there any brands to look for or to stay away from ? I know next to nothing about brands, what makes a good spa, etc. I assume a dealer is best b/c of parts availability. Our intended use is recreational . Drinks, friends, relaxing , etc. don’t need therapeutic , 9000 jets, changing lights, waterfall, etc. Speakers might be ok. Wireless control would be cool.

Anticipated budget is 5K. I have a little room to wiggle for quality, etc. but I’m not interested in a Cadillac sized hot tub and price tag. Size would be 5-6 people.

We would appreciate any suggestions of brands, etc.

Thank you.

It’s ironic you mentioned that one. We got the sams club flyer in the mail. My wife loves that thing. Sams is usually decent stuff, I just worry about parts and service. Our PB has a limited selection and doesn’t seem to interested whether he sells us one or not, so I’m just looking at all our options. Thanks for the reply!

You won’t get a new tub from a dealer for $5k. Maybe an old refurb, but not a brand new one that’s for sure.

Also, does your $5k include site prep and electrical? You’re going to need/want a 220V/30-50A circuit with GFCI protection. When all the pumps, jets and heater are going on a tub, the power draw can be pretty hefty. The ground you physically place it on needs to be able to support the load - your standard 350 gallon tub literally weighs well over ton when full.

Things to consider - steps to get in and out, nearby placement/access to home, easy close/open cover, method of sanitation.

Thanks for the feedback! Our dealer does have a basic 4-5 person for about $5100. It is new, not refurb. I am hoping since we will be spending a pile o’cash on the pool , maybe there will be some room to move on the hot tub. That said- my budget does not include electric, Placement will be on the pool deck area we are having poured

Wow, $5100 for a new spa...that’s a deal. Do you have the pool already or is that being built too?

It was pretty basic , but it held water:)

We are under contract to build the pool this spring.

Well, honestly speaking, there are way too many useless gizmos on tubs these days. Simple is better.

If it’s all part of the pool build then electrical is no big deal. They can just leave you a stubbed out circuit to power the tub (maybe a small sub panel in case you want extra stuff around the tub) even if you want to wait to get one later.

Good luck with the build.

I've considered "plug n play" hot tubs so I could avoid the electrical cost and this 5 person one or this 6 person one are only $2599 at home depot. One of the "bells and whistles" that you don't get with this sub 3K spa is the heater, and the pump is much less powerful then those high end everlast spas. Still 350 lbs empty so getting it to my back yard will be fun. The heating is done by "thermal friction heating system" which to me means it's not going to be as hot as I want it to be, but most reviews seem pretty happy with it.

EDIT: If the electrical is not a problem they have this nice one on sale for $3499 with 3 HP pump and 4KW heater, quite a few bells and whistles for that price range.

Reactions: crepemaster3000

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have had a HotSprings Vista for nearly 10 years. Only one issue (heater), which was covered under no-fault warranty. The units costs about $25 per month to run and solid as a rock. We paid $6k, but today they are probably in the $10k range.

My PB said if I buy the hot tub from him, he'll throw in the electric run and that portion of the deck, or slab if it isn't located on the deck. Not bad, but he only carries one brand which I haven't heard of or am particularly enamored with. Hot tubs and retail supplies are obviously not a big part of his business. I have a Sundance (Cameo) at another property that I've been pretty happy with for about 5 years so I may go that route again. Hopefully I'll still be able to talk the PB into at least the electric.

We didn’t get that lucky. Our PB is a nice guy, but discounts are hard to come by.

I went to Leslie’s because their sign said 20% off the spas. I was surprised they had Hayward, Pentair, zodiac etc. they also used Taylor chemicals for pool testing. I had never been in a pool store before. Either way, their spa – one spa – was not very nice and it was really old.

I think I’m going to try to see if parts are available for the Everlast spa from Sam’s club and figure out who actually makes it for Sam’s Club. My wife is fascinated with the towel warmer.

18x36 vinyl liner , Hayward Sand Filter, Maxflo VS pump, Hayward VS Omni automation, Rheem 115k Heat pump, Colorlogic LED. Dolphin 400 robot. Build date: Spring 2018.

Have you ever considered a used spa? I recently saw an advert go up on the local Nextdoor App where someone posted a 7 year old spa (original owner) that was free (if you hauled it away) and the major issue was “a leak at the pump but otherwise works fine...”. They simply did not want the hot tub anymore (lack of use) and wanted to put in a raised planter bed. It was a name brand so parts are plenty available and they were just giving it away. Now a spa is no easy thing to move but even if you had to pay a company a few hundred bucks to move it, wow, that’s a deal.

Maybe you can find something similar :scratch:

Have you ever considered a used spa? I recently saw an advert go up on the local Nextdoor App where someone posted a 7 year old spa (original owner) that was free (if you hauled it away) and the major issue was “a leak at the pump but otherwise works fine...”. They simply did not want the hot tub anymore (lack of use) and wanted to put in a raised planter bed. It was a name brand so parts are plenty available and they were just giving it away. Now a spa is no easy thing to move but even if you had to pay a company a few hundred bucks to move it, wow, that’s a deal.

Maybe you can find something similar :scratch:
There are almost always spas like that in the Craigslist free section. Or there were when I lived in Peoria, IL (pop 120k). Usually a pump bad, or leaked in plumbing, or something. Sometimes nothing wrong. Always you move, it's yours deal.

I have not looked at CL for a hot tub. A quick scan shows everything from free and broken to paid 7k asking $6999. :) Some fall in the 2k to 4K range. For the right price and model, it could be a bargain. At 4k and up, I would just buy new.

18x36 vinyl liner , Hayward Sand Filter, Maxflo VS pump, Hayward VS Omni automation, Rheem 115k Heat pump, Colorlogic LED. Dolphin 400 robot. Build date: Spring 2018.

I have not looked at CL for a hot tub. A quick scan shows everything from free and broken to paid 7k asking $6999. :) Some fall in the 2k to 4K range. For the right price and model, it could be a bargain. At 4k and up, I would just buy new.

That’s kind of what I was thinking. If you could find a hot tub for private sale at a generous discount (like half the price of a new one) it might be a better way to go. The large number of used hot tubs on the private market suggests that people get tired of maintaining them and/or don’t feel their worth it after a while. So it might be a better plan to buy used at first and see if it’s truly something you want to have around.

Your call, of course. I’m sure you’ll eventually get the tub you want.

You are correct. I just think about the things that could go on in a hot tub- MORE BLEACH PLEASE!!

If I can get over that, then I would like to see it hooked up. Most are already disconnected. “Ran when parked” comes to mind...

I’m good with a Sams tub. I just need to investigate parts availability. Maybe they are universal to some degree

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.