Hot tub recommendations

You are correct. I just think about the things that could go on in a hot tub- MORE BLEACH PLEASE!!

If I can get over that, then I would like to see it hooked up. Most are already disconnected. “Ran when parked” comes to mind...

I’m good with a Sams tub. I just need to investigate parts availability. Maybe they are universal to some degree

18x36 vinyl liner , Hayward Sand Filter, Maxflo VS pump, Hayward VS Omni automation, Rheem 115k Heat pump, Colorlogic LED. Dolphin 400 robot. Build date: Spring 2018.

All hot tubs, new or used, need to be purged with Ahh-some. Tub manufacturers must pressure test them before distribution and they never clear all the water out of them. So you get a tub with stagnant water in the lines as well as greases and lubricants in the pipes. This requires a chemical flush and Ahh-some is what TFP recommends most.

This time of year there are a lot of home shows around the country at the local convention centers. Hot tubs / spas seem to be popular participants. Usually most of the local dealers will participate so you can compare all under one roof. These are also great opportunities to grab a great "show price", especially if it's last year's model.

We bought our last spa (a Sundance) this way and it worked out very well. Saved about 30% from the showroom price.

Just make sure you're dealing with a legit local brick and mortar dealer and not a fly-by-night distributor that you'd never see again after delivery.

I've owned 2 Hot Springs Spas. The first one was a Classic and had it 12-14years. Now we have a Vanguard I think, it replaced the Classic. They are not cheap but very inexpensive to own, well insulated with minimal electrical cost. Dealers will sometimes have trade ins.

Cool- Thanks for the info. I went to a Cal Spa dealer and realized that I don’t want a Sams club spa. The delivery and set up on a 925 lb tub would not go smoothly with me and a couple guys. I don’t have a cart , trailer or whatever. Plus I really have no idea what I’m doing to get it level, started , Ahh-some ran through it, etc. I could wire it up without issue. More to come ! I am trying to time this with our pool build which will happen sometime this spring.

Here is one I found at a really nice dealer.
e410693ea4822208a0e3e02000a7fe0a.jpg

Cool- Thanks for the info. I went to a Cal Spa dealer and realized that I don’t want a Sams club spa. The delivery and set up on a 925 lb tub would not go smoothly with me and a couple guys. I don’t have a cart , trailer or whatever. Plus I really have no idea what I’m doing to get it level, started , Ahh-some ran through it, etc. I could wire it up without issue. More to come ! I am trying to time this with our pool build which will happen sometime this spring.

Here is one I found at a really nice dealer.

Looks like a sweet deal for 6K! I hope I see something like that from dreamaker (they were closed for the weekend) My biggest issue will be the electrical because I'm pretty sure I want the extra heat and power that you can only get with 240.

Here's a neat Spa SWG someone pointed out to me in another thread for much less than the optional one in your pic.

St Louis has a local manufacturer called Aspen Spas. We've had very good luck with them. Bought one in 2002, and it did fine, with occasional service, until we moved last year. Bought a new one from them for the new house.

They're carried by dealers, mostly in the upper Midwest. If you happen to be able to lay hands on one, the company is great.

Thanks for the advice on Aspen spa. Looking around, they all have deals and floor models so I will need to just wait until the concrete and pool are put in this spring /summer. I thought that SWCG was interesting- Does it just hang over the side or plumb in-line under the cabinet?

I'm not positive as I don't have one, but from looking at pics it looks like you simply screw the unit to the outside, plugin it in, and hang the other unit over the side. Not the prettiest option but for $200 is a nice way to make any spa a SWG spa

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ok,

I looked at Mira Hot Tubs. Those look pretty nice. Straightforward controls, made in USA, Balboa components, Waterway jets. My little one liked that the sales person let her climb in/on them. Next stop is our PB. He sells Cal Spa. He doesn’t seem to be super motivated to sell me a spa with the “I’m buying a pool from you” discount so I’m looking around. I’m indifferent if I buy the spa from the PB. More to come:)

This was an 8ft model, had some kind of LED lights, waterfalls, WiFi , etc but no stereo. No talk of ozone or SWCG.
51f597410df25ec503d1040abea5945e.jpg

Alright- we made a decision. We bought the Bullfrog....

c5af79998931a81a4a68f9d77404af68.jpg

18x36 vinyl liner ,19k gallons, Hayward Sand Filter, Maxflo VS pump, Hayward VS Omni automation, Aquarite 900 SWCG, Rheem 115k Heat pump, Colorlogic LED, Dolphin M400 robot, TF-100/K-1766

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.