Test kit confusion - questions

gsrel

Aug 29, 2017
Toronto, Canada
I'm looking at purchasing either a Taylor K-2006c or TF-100 however after reading about both kits over and over I've become more confused than anything else. Since I am located in Canada I would need to either pick these up in the US or have a friend ship it up to me.

I'm also looking at purchasing a SpeedStir however from my understanding I would need to be using the Taylor vial that comes with it as its a different dimension than the TF-100. Is the only test that one would use on the SpeedStir a Chlorine FAS/DPD?

Is the Sample Sizer also worth getting? It seems to only work with the Taylor branded vials?

Considering that these two kits are roughly the same price ($70 vs $90) is it worth going through the hassle of two different brands? I totally understand that the TF kit supports the site owners. Hopefully I can get some non biased feedback and recommendations as im sure that prior newbies have also come across these questions

I have the TF-100. The tube that comes with that fits just fine on the Speed Stir device.

I don't have the sample sizer. I can eyeball the lines on the tube just fine. The lines on the tube of the TF-100 kit are black and easy to see. The other kit's lines aren't as easy to read.

Both brands use the same Taylor reagents.

Maddie :flower:

I also have the TF-100 as the reagent sizes are a great value. However the #1 issue for all members is simply to have one or the other. We don't ever want to seem pushy about ONE brand, but we will provide our recommendation. I think some folks feel better when they hear "Taylor" and don't realize some of the reagents in the TF-100 are indeed Taylor as well, just packaged in a different form with what is believed to be a better overall value. But order whichever one you are able to get. If you do go the K-2006 route, just make sure to get the K-2006(C) which has the larger bottles. The speedstir is extremely valuable for the following tests: FC, CC, TA, and CH.

Hope that helps.

The sample sizer does not work with the TF-100 cylinders. The Tf-100 cylinders will work with the Speedstir, but honestly they are a little more woobly then the Taylor cylinder on the Speedstir. I have to steady the TF-100 cylinder if I use it on the Speedstir. However, the Speedstir comes with a Taylor cylinder.
IMHO I don't think they are "roughly the same price"... $20 is a lot to me!

"wobbly"? I've never had any "wobbly-ness" to speak of using the Speedstir! I guess my tubes are just wobbly-free ;) I wanna wobbly one now LOL

Seriously though, both tubes work just fine. Since I don't need the sample sizer thingamabob, I can't complain about it.

I still think the TF-100 is a better kit *and* cheaper! I like the entire layout and box.

Maddie :flower:

Can one use the Taylor Speedstir cylinder when testing FC, CC, TA, and CH with the TF-100 kit?

I guess I shouldn't say that $20 isn't the same.. especially considering its roughly $26cdn :( However when you compare it to what one spends on a pool overall....

Can one use the Taylor Speedstir cylinder when testing FC, CC, TA, and CH with the TF-100 kit?

Yes. Both of the kits use the same reagents. You can use the cylinders interchangeably. It’s no different than using a two different measuring cups to measure out your cooking ingredients.

The cylinders have slightly different dimensions which is why the sample sizer doesn’t work with the TF100 cylinder. But both have the appropriate graduations (lines) on them to do the tests.

One thing I really like about the taylor 2006c is how everything fits perfectly in the case and the color coded quick instructions pasted on the top are always available in plain sight. I also use the Taylor 1766, and even though they are not included with the 2006c the instructions are on the 2006c top panel as well. The speedstir also fits perfectly in the box. I can't comment on the tf100 box or instructions because I've only used the Taylor. I see you have a SWG so you should consider the 1766 as well no matter which kit you get (get them all at once with your canada restrictions). The speedstir is especially helpful with the salt test as it just doesn't mix very well by swirling IMO.

2006c.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
OK, I'm going to throw a wrench into it! (It's what I do here!!)

I have the Taylor K-2006. Not the "C." It's the smaller version. My first kit, so I can't compare, only give you my impression of what I have. I also have the Tayor K1766 salt test and the SpeedStir. To top off my test kit, I have a Leslie's squeeze bottle, which I find very handy. And a PVC pipe for collecting water 18" below the surface to keep my arm out of 50° water.

I decided to go with the smaller kit because I felt I wanted to keep my reagents fresh. I knew that I'd blow though some of the tests in less than a year, but I'll know next fall if some of the other tests made it that far. I've already refilled one reagent (FC) so far, after about 4 months. I got the larger size for refilling, that might last the rest of the year.

I'm thinking I'm spending a bit more up front, but, like I said, my reagents will all be fresh. And I won't be throwing any out. Probably a wash.

What I like about the Taylor: all the reagents have expiration dates on them. And I like the small size of the "mini" case. It's easy to handle, and easy to store. And... wait for it... all the tests fit inside! The original set, the salt test, and... the SpeedStir! Even the extra vial. No foolin'! So I'll likely refill my little bottles from the bigger reagent refills, for those tests I do a lot, and then just replace the smaller bottles with smaller bottles as they run out. Compact, tidy, fresh! I think over time my overall cost will be even with those using the bigger kits, as don't you all end up buying replacement reagents anyway?

kit.jpg

TIP: You might just be able to make it out in the photo: I mark each reagent cap with the required drops. And put a X on the top of the reagents that I have to count drops. Speeds up my testing as I don't have to refer to the instructions as much. The Leslie's squeeze bottle is just the right amount of water to do all the tests, including rinsing the vials. A 2' length of 3/4" PVC just about fills the Leslie's bottle!

A note that may or may not be of use. My wife's a nurse and carries around IV flushers, which are just plastic syringes filled with saline solution. She always brings them home because she forgets to empty her pockets, so I took one. It's graduated from 1-10 mL on the side, so I pull a water sample with it, flip it tip up and push to get the air bubbles out and line up the 10 mL mark, and then shoot it into the sample tube. I verified at the start that it filled the sample tube to the 10 mL mark, and ever since it's made it faster because I don't have to dip the tube, pour off a bit at a time, and then overshoot the mark and have to repeat. :D

Also unlike the Taylor sample sizer a syringe isn't locked to any particular sample tube size.

A note that may or may not be of use. My wife's a nurse and carries around IV flushers, which are just plastic syringes filled with saline solution. She always brings them home because she forgets to empty her pockets, so I took one. It's graduated from 1-10 mL on the side, so I pull a water sample with it, flip it tip up and push to get the air bubbles out and line up the 10 mL mark, and then shoot it into the sample tube. I verified at the start that it filled the sample tube to the 10 mL mark, and ever since it's made it faster because I don't have to dip the tube, pour off a bit at a time, and then overshoot the mark and have to repeat. :D

Also unlike the Taylor sample sizer a syringe isn't locked to any particular sample tube size.

Good tip, but I'll raise ya my Leslie's bottle! The bottle's squeeze tip is essentially doing what you're doing, but in one less step (though not pre-measured, I'll admit). I fill the Leslie's bottle at the pool, then just squeeze it into the vial. For both the vial and the pH test thingie, I place them on the lighted SpeedStir, which lights up the graduations and the water. The squeeze bottle is very fast, but also accurate, because I can squeeze in a big shot to get close to the line, then drop, drop, drop to get right at the graduation. Just another way to do it.

But I'm with you, filling the vials and then trying to do the "pool boy jiggle" to get to the line doesn't work well at all. (Part of the reason why you can't trust pool guy test results any more than pool store test results!)

BTW, I don't test at the pool, or even outside. I fill the Leslie's bottle then bring it inside, and test at a counter, under a very good LED light. Much more comfortable, and the light makes for a consistent testing environment. I certainly don't bend down and try to fill a test vial 18" under water for every test.

Hey, how 'bout this! The Annual TFP Test Trials and Award Show (coming soon to your town!): various events... accuracy... speed... presentation... free style... swim suit... oops, went a bit too far there...

I also have the K2006. I have my pool so perfectly balanced (thanks to tfp!) that other than ph I don't have to constantly test. I find some of the small bottles can last me 2-3 years (even though they should be replaced annually). I do however buy 2oz R-0871 and R0003 as I tend to go through more when SLAMing and checking CYA frequently. I just refill the smaller bottles. Like Dirk, I can fit all the bottles and the speedstir in the box. I love my speedstir btw! i find results are faster and more consistent than swirling.

I choose taylor over tf-100 because i can always get reagents here if I'm desperate (although prepared to be gouged). tftestkits sells a replacement taylor reagent kit (or individual ones) or they are easy to get on amazon if you don't mind making a trip to buffalo.

I'm just starting with the TF-100. Could you explain the PVC pipe tool? I'm not immune to the 50 degree water yet.

It’s just a few feet of 1/2” or 3/4” PVC pipe to collect water from the pool. The pipe goes in the cold water, not your hand.

It’s like playing with your drink and holding your thumb on a straw. Picking the straw up out and having the liquid stay up in the straw until you remove your thumb.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.