Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Should I shock since I won't have my SWG going for another few days?

1. Back To Top    #1

Should I shock since I won't have my SWG going for another few days?

The PB did their first water sample a couple weeks ago and starting adding some Alkalinity increaser, calcium, etc. to start getting things leveled out based on the initial results. I took a sample down to the PB's lab this morning and got the following numbers:

Chlorine - 0
    PH - 7.9
    Calcium - 149
    Alkalinity - 181
    Stabilizer - 27
    Copper - 0
    Iron - 0
    Phosphates - 0

It seems the Alkalinity is way high compared to what is recommended for a SWG pool. I'm assuming I should get that down before I start running the SWG? There is, or course, no chlorine present because I haven't started adding salt for the SWG yet. I am going to start adding salt tonight and hopefully start generating chlorine with the SWG in the new few days. The PH is a little high because they overshot the Alkalinity but will be putting some PH decreaser in tonight.

I wanted to get some thoughts on the numbers and also ask whether you guys think I should throw either some shock or bleach in there tonight just to at least have some chlorine in there before the SWG gets up and running.

Thanks!

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Should I shock since I won't have my SWG going for another few days?

How old is the pool and what type, seeing lots of red flags.

Check out Read before posting and pool school
    Casey
    Intex 24' x 52" closed for winter 2018, 2 Main Drains, 1 Skimmer, 1 Return, PVC
    1/2 HP Intex Pump 633T w/ Taeglus TA-40 175 lb 19.5" Sand Filter, Auqabot Extreme Robot
    TF-50 and Taylor 2006 Test Kits, Quality Well Water, Fleck 5800SXT Water Softener

3. Back To Top    #3

Sorry...it's a new pool just going through the initial balance with the PB. I would think my first order of business would be to lower the PH and Alkalinity and getting some chlorine in it...maybe some shock now until SWG gets going?
    Built in Feb 2018, 19K Matrix Vinyl Pool 16x37 (8ft deep end), 1,890 sq ft concrete decking
    Pentair IntelliFlo, Pentair IntelliChlor IC-40, Pentair Triton II Sand Filter, Pentair IntelliBrite 5G Color LED
    TF100 Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Who is supposed to be maintaining the pool? If pool builder, than follow his instruction for warranty. If it was my pool, I would just add some bleach/chlorine. Have you bought a Pool Test Kit, yet?
    Xavier in Baytown, Texas
    Pool Built: 06May2016. 16ftx34ft, Area: 485 ft2, Depth: 4ft-6ft, Pentair IntelliFlo Variable Speed Pump, Pentair FNS Plus D.E. Filter 48 sq. ft., Easy Touch 8 with wireless remote, IntelliBrite Pool Color LED, 640 Sq Ft of deck, 3 ton waterfall, Guesstimation: 17,000 gallons, Test Kit: Taylor K-2006C.

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by misplacetexan View Post
    Who is supposed to be maintaining the pool? If pool builder, than follow his instruction for warranty. If it was my pool, I would just add some bleach/chlorine. Have you bought a Pool Test Kit, yet?
    Yes...just got the TF-100 kit. I will start getting familiar with that in the next day or so and keep tabs on things with it. Thanks!
    Built in Feb 2018, 19K Matrix Vinyl Pool 16x37 (8ft deep end), 1,890 sq ft concrete decking
    Pentair IntelliFlo, Pentair IntelliChlor IC-40, Pentair Triton II Sand Filter, Pentair IntelliBrite 5G Color LED
    TF100 Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

We do not recommend the use of powder shock. All you need is bleach and CYA, and perhaps muriatic acid at this point.

You also need to use and trust your own tests as those test numbers above are really suspect.

To clarify- this is a vinyl pool, right?

Maddie
    Maddie :) 12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Skippy's Pool Cooler --> Skippy's New Fountain Our Build --> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by YippeeSkippy View Post
    We do not recommend the use of powder shock. All you need is bleach and CYA, and perhaps muriatic acid at this point.

You also need to use and trust your own tests as those test numbers above are really suspect.

To clarify- this is a vinyl pool, right?

Maddie

Yippee,

Yep..it's a vinyl pool. I trust the advice of TFP over my PB any day. I asked him about bleach vs. powder shock yesterday and he said bleach can be hard on the liner. Does that theory hold any weight? I used some powder shock last night just to clear it up, but will use bleach from now on if that's preferable.

After a heavy rain yesterday and some PH minus, my PH is about 7.2 but TA is still 140. I think I still want to be quite a bit lower on TA since I have a SWG but don't want to drive my PH any lower. Actually need it to rise a bit. Any advice on best strategy there?

Thanks!
    TF100 Test Kit

8. Back To Top    #8

TFP Guide

Maybe if you poured bleach on your liner above the water every day....

pH minus is hard on equipment especially your swg, if you have used a lot of it discontinue use right away, just a little, finish off the bottle, or sell on Craigslist. Use muratic acid, has no side effects just have to handle correctly (easy).

Just keep mantaining your pH, keep it in the 7s, your ta will find it's point. Only drop the ta on purpose if you keep hitting 8 with pH.
    Casey
    Intex 24' x 52" closed for winter 2018, 2 Main Drains, 1 Skimmer, 1 Return, PVC
    1/2 HP Intex Pump 633T w/ Taeglus TA-40 175 lb 19.5" Sand Filter, Auqabot Extreme Robot
    TF-50 and Taylor 2006 Test Kits, Quality Well Water, Fleck 5800SXT Water Softener

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by cfherrman View Post
    Maybe if you poured bleach on your liner above the water every day....

pH minus is hard on equipment especially your swg, if you have used a lot of it discontinue use right away, just a little, finish off the bottle, or sell on Craigslist. Use muratic acid, has no side effects just have to handle correctly (easy).

Just keep mantaining your pH, keep it in the 7s, your ta will find it's point. Only drop the ta on purpose if you keep hitting 8 with pH.
    Thanks for the good advice! So I shouldn't worry about starting up my SWG with my TA that high? I was only concerned about it because I think I saw where TFP recommended TA levels 60-80 for SWG pools and knew mine was double that. I knew that ideally you want to get everything balanced out before you start the SWG was wasn't sure if the TA level was a concern or not.
    TF100 Test Kit

10. Back To Top    #10

Keep in mind your SWG won’t convert salt to chlorine until your water temp is 60-65 degrees.

Pool Built June 2018,
    16x32, 20K, IG vinyl,
    2 speed Jandy Pro Plus Pump, Jandy JS Sand Filter, Jandy Tru-Clear SWG,
    JANDY JXI POOL HEATER/260K BTU, Polaris 280 + Booster, TF 100 Test Kit

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by JodieM View Post
    Keep in mind your SWG won’t convert salt to chlorine until your water temp is 60-65 degrees.
    Not always true. The Hayward Aquarite system will produce chlorine at 50 degrees and higher.
    20000 Gallon, Sand Filter, IG Plaster, Hayward Aqua Rite 40k SWG, TF-100 Test Kit, Taylor SpeedStir

12. Back To Top    #12

Jodie...thanks for the reminder. Yes, I was aware of that about the water temps. I have a Pentair IntelliChlor and my water temp was 57 this morning so it maybe be a bit before I start being able to depend on it for my chlorine
    TF100 Test Kit