Low pump flow?

Unckle Brewski

Bronze Supporter
Feb 20, 2017
Naples, FL
My pump just doesn't seem to be pumping much water. The pump basket does not fill completely. I don't have any air bubbles in either the pump basket or the returns. I can isolate the suction side to: spa, skimmer or main drain individually, and have the same problem with all 3. The 3 way valve for suction selection is about 1 foot from the pump inlet, the line is clear, as is the valve. I have had the wet end of the pump apart and checked for debris in the impeller etc. All looks good. Pressure on the filter gauge is normal and filter is clean. Have checked and cleaned the Nano screen and also bypassed the heater.....still very low flow. I need to run the pump at 2500 to get much flo at all and even at 3450 still not enough to run the infloor.
I previously was able to circulate at 1200 with good results.
:confused::confused::confused:

That IS a puzzle. Lets play detective:

You say the filter is clean--------how do you know it is clean? If you cleaned it how did you clean it?

Does you pressure gauge drop to 0 when you turn the pump off? Does it go right up the correct number as soon as the pump gets going good?

Is there ANY chance one or more of the valves are in need of being cleaned?

This should keep you busy for a few. Let me know what you find out after you think about all of this.

Kim:kim:

Hey UB! :wave: Sorry you didn't get a reply earlier from the forum. Let's see if you still need help. No indications of air, lines appear clear from what you can tell, same results from various valve settings ..... any chance you have a partial blockage before that 3-way that goes to the pump? Just enough to slow things down but in a location you can't feel or see? Have you tried pushing water backwards with a hose to see if there is any change? This is assuming you still have that problem.

Kim... I just cleaned the filter using a pressure nozzle on a hose. If the filter was dirty wouldn't it show on the gauge?
Gauge behaves normally on start up and shut down
I have disassembled and cleaned the suction 3 way.
Pat.....the 3 ports on the suction 3 way are: 1:spa/2:skimmer, main drain/3:pump. The skimmer and main drain each the have ball valves to just b4 the 3way, so I can isolate all the sources.
I am waiting on my drain king to arrive to backflush the suction lines, but I find it strange that all 3 would plug simultaneously....hmmmm
Thanks for your thoughts, I will update after the drain king procedure

just to update....after clearing all suction lines with drain king and rechecking everything again, I removed the filter cartridge. Pump started, primed right away and filled the basket with normal flow again. Cleaned the filter (again) reinstalled and same low flow problem. Replaced filter cartridge and all is good!. The only mystery left is why didn't the clogged filter causing the problem show up on the pressure gauge.......hmmmmm

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.