Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Too early to fight?

1. Back To Top    #1

Too early to fight?

Welcome back from the winter hibernation, y’all

I left my pool mostly unattended all winter. Occasionally would add a few gallons of bleach, and had the robot cleaner going every few days for the most part. Sometime over the winter I think I developed a small hole in one of the DE filter grids, so I’ve got a mild layer of DE along the steps where the robot can’t reach. I have new grids waiting in the shed to be installed.

Tonight I I went outside to check on things, and noticed a ton of debris and pollen in the pool. I guess I forgot to reset the robot last week, so stuff has been accumulating. The power cord is slimey - maybe algae? Maybe pollen? Probably both.

My question is this - it’s only March, Texas hasn’t started warming up to swim weather yet, and probably won’t for another 2 months. Is it worth SLAMing and dealing with the junk now, or wait till it’s closer to swim season and bring everything into line then?
    My gear: ~23k gallon in ground plaster pool, built in 1974 and resurfaced probably 5-7 years ago. Hayward Pro-Grid 48 sq ft DE filter, Single speed Pentair 1.5HP pump. Taylor K-2006 test kit. Doheny Dolphin Discovery robot pool cleaner. Climate: Houston (aka, 14 months of summer), full sun. City water (pool filler) is probably high in chlorine.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Too early to fight?

Certainly I'd do it now if possible. The warmer the water gets the more chance algae present can reproduce. Of course you'll also want to maintain it afterwards too....

Maddie
    Maddie :) 12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Skippy's Pool Cooler --> Skippy's New Fountain Our Build --> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard

3. Back To Top    #3

MUCH easier to bring it in line now before you have to fight warmer sun and pool temps. Less FC burn off.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

Less algae now to kill
    Casey
    Intex 24' x 52" closed for winter 2018, 2 Main Drains, 1 Skimmer, 1 Return, PVC
    1/2 HP Intex Pump 633T w/ Taeglus TA-40 175 lb 19.5" Sand Filter, Auqabot Extreme Robot
    TF-50 and Taylor 2006 Test Kits, Quality Well Water, Fleck 5800SXT Water Softener

5. Back To Top    #5

I just started mine a few days ago. We got a ton of rain the past three weeks so I felt it was time with clear forecast ahead. Also to take advantage of the cool weather keeping pool water cold to keep chlorine in the pool longer.
    BBB
    40x20 IG gunite pool
    35000 gallons
    2.5 HP pool pump and 3/4 HP booster pump for pool cleaner.
    Cartridge filters
    Huntsville Texas

6. Back To Top    #6

I'm in Pa and wish I could clean mine right now. If you have nice weather in Texas, take advantage of it and SLAM the pool.