Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Winter/liner damage

1. Back To Top    #1

Winter/liner damage

Need advice...
    Closed pool in September. Turns out there must be a leak in the liner and water level can not be maintained. Pool walls are buckling and one frame post is leaning in about 6 inches.
    More additional winter weather is fast approaching. Is it best to remove the cover to take pressure off the walls for the approaching snow?
    24 round above ground pool
    9 years old

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Winter/liner damage

Yes take the cover off asap as it is already causing trouble. We have been seeing this quite often. To the point of almost saying no covers on above ground pools. I would think about making something like tie out lines to help keep the supports up. When I say tie out lines I am talking about how they use a stack and rope to help keep trees straight. Good luck and I hope the wall is not compromised. Let us know how it turns out.
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Yes agree with Kim, take the cover off.

When there is heavy snow forecasted I either take my cover off the pool, or loosen the cover so much that it is "sitting" in the water. In your case, yes I would take the cover off the pool. I use a micromesh cover so the water just seeps through the cover so I don't have to worry about the weight of rain water pulling in the sides of the pool.
    Gallons: 5000 Gallons
    Pool: 15' Saltwater 5000
    Filter: Pentair 1 HP Optiflow Pump w/ Clean & Clear 75Sq Ft Cartridge Filter
    SWG: Intex CS8110

4. Back To Top    #4

Thank you! We dropped the cover into the pool. I feel a lot better that pressure will not be on walls with the next storm rolling in tonight.
    I truly appreciate the advice from both responders.
    24 round above ground pool
    9 years old

5. Back To Top    #5

No problem, good luck.
    Gallons: 5000 Gallons
    Pool: 15' Saltwater 5000
    Filter: Pentair 1 HP Optiflow Pump w/ Clean & Clear 75Sq Ft Cartridge Filter
    SWG: Intex CS8110