Worried about my PH Level

Jun 15, 2009
Keller, TX
Ok have an algae problem and I read the post on how to take care of it. I went out and bought a whole bunch of bleach and some dry acid. I lowerd my ph to about 7.4 before adding the bleach to get it to shock level. I put 3 gallons of bleach in which is what it said would get me to a fc level of 15. I checked in 30 min and I screwed up the test. It kept saying I didn't have any chlorine in the pool so I kept adding bleach. After adding 9 gallons of bleach I realized I was forgetting to add the second set of drops for the chlorine test. Now that I am testing it right the chlorine is pretty high. (My reader only goes to an fc of 5 so I diluted it 1 part pool water 3 parts purified water and it is still darker than 5 so I know my fc is above 20) The problem is that my PH level is now above 8.2. Is this because I have put so much bleach in. Do I need to put more ph reducer in before I add any more bleach?

FC - 20+
pH - 8.2
TA - 140
CYA - 40

I'm using Leslie's Total Pool Care DPD test kit. I use 5 drop of R-001 and 5 drops of R-002 but it reads too high because my reader only goes as high as 5 for FC. That is why I diluted it with purified water. The reason I was messing up is because I kept forgetting to put the 5 drops of R-002 in the tester so I kept thinking there was no chlorine. But if you say the ph level reads falsly high when the fc is over 10 ppm then I should be ok. I will keep monitoring the fc every half hour to keep the level at shock level until the pool starts to clear. Hopefully it will start to work. This has been a real pain.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.