Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Propane heater question

1. Back To Top    #1

Propane heater question

My basic question is how expensive will it be to heat my pool. Considering purchasing a new heater to replace to currently broken one unit. I open in mid May but usually don't get in until mid June. Close in mid October but rarely get in after school starts early September. The wife wants to get in early May and heat it up for the occasional pool party. It averages about 82 degrees mid summer months. I would like to heat it up to about 85-88 on cooler days. The plan is to get a raypak 406,000 propane heater. I'm confused about calculating how much propane it would use and would the existing propane tank which is 100 gallons be big enough or will I be refilling often. If any out there has the raypak, I would love some feedback on it or any other recommendation would be appreciated. Propane price in my area right now is 2.99/gallon.

Diamond Pool 20'x40' Lazy L, approx 33,000 gal vinyl liner, Hayward s244T filter, Pentair Intellichlor Ic 40( new May 2016) replaced computer pool cpsc35, inter mastic T40404R, A.O.Smith UST1152 super pump 1.5 hp, Hayward heater, not working or by-passed, Polaris 360

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Propane heater question

It will cost you $10 per degree of heat you want to add to your pool.

(this is for on-demand heating to bump up the temp. To keep it there for any length of time is a different thing)

CALCULATIONS:
    To heat your pool 1 degree F:

33,000 gal = 264,000 pounds of water

To heat that 1 degree takes 264,000 BTUs

There's 100,000 BTU in 1.1 gallons of propane.

It will take 2.64 gallons of propane. That's about $8. Factoring in inefficiencies of transferring that heat to your pool, call it $10.
    16 x 32 18,000 gal IG vinyl pool. 1.5HP SuperFlo VS pump. Hayward C4030 425 sq ft cartridge filter. Hotspot FPH heat reclamation pool heater.

3. Back To Top    #3

A 400k heater like yours will burn 4.4 gallons of propane per hour, every hour the heater is on. Based on your cost for propane that is about 13.50 an hour, every hour the heater is on.

Drawing that much gas off of a single 100 gallon tank would likely freeze the tank up in an hour or two depending the outdoor temp. So yes you could run a heater off that tank but it wouldn't work well and I wouldn't recommend it. You should have at least a 240gallon storage tank for that heater but the preferred setup would be dual 240's or a single 500gallon tank.

Propane is considerably more expensive on a monthly basis, when compared to natural gas or electric heat pumps. Personally I would never use propane to heat my pool, and I use propane for heat, hot water, cooking and my clothes dryer. My price per gallon of propane is around $1.80.
    Chuck-
    15x30 AG, Pentair Superflo VS, 19" sand filter, TF-100 test kit
    Aqua Comfort ACT750 heat pump / 6x20 ground mount solar panel / DIY automation

Photos of 2016 Build, Inside Your Breaker Panel, Free Copy of 2017 NEC code
    TFP is AD Free and is funded solely by member support click here to help

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by CJadamec View Post
    A 400k heater like yours will burn 4.4 gallons of propane per hour, every hour the heater is on. Based on your cost for propane that is about 13.50 an hour, every hour the heater is on.

Drawing that much gas off of a single 100 gallon tank would likely freeze the tank up in an hour or two depending the outdoor temp. So yes you could run a heater off that tank but it wouldn't work well and I wouldn't recommend it. You should have at least a 240gallon storage tank for that heater but the preferred setup would be dual 240's or a single 500gallon tank.

Propane is considerably more expensive on a monthly basis, when compared to natural gas or electric heat pumps. Personally I would never use propane to heat my pool, and I use propane for heat, hot water, cooking and my clothes dryer. My price per gallon of propane is around $1.80.
    Thanks so much for the reply. It's going to tough to justify spending that much money on propane. May consider electric heat pump or solar.

Diamond Pool 20'x40' Lazy L, approx 33,000 gal vinyl liner, Hayward s244T filter, Pentair Intellichlor Ic 40( new May 2016) replaced computer pool cpsc35, inter mastic T40404R, A.O.Smith UST1152 super pump 1.5 hp, Hayward heater, not working or by-passed, Polaris 360

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks. Wondering now if it's even worth it or do I just buy a 400 dollar solar cover and call it a day

6. Back To Top    #6

No matter what way you decide to go it's always recommended to get a solar cover if you heat your pool. You don't need an expensive one any ole cover that fits your pool will work.
    Chuck-

7. Back To Top    #7

You should be able to find a solar cover on amazon for just over a hundred dollars at that pool size.
    16x32 IG Vinyl, 13,000 Gals. Hayward S-244T sand filter, SP2810X15 pump
    (1.5 HP motor) Raypak PR266AEN (266k btu) gas heater. TF-100 Test Kit.
    Dolphin E10 Cleaning Robot.

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by borjis View Post
    You should be able to find a solar cover on amazon for just over a hundred dollars at that pool size.
    It's a lazy l shape which I haven't been able to find. But I'll check amazon

9. Back To Top    #9

Buy an oversized cheap cover and cut it to fit. Also a lot of people find it easier to cover lazy l shaped pools with a cover cut into two large pieces that overlap.
    Chuck-

10. Back To Top    #10

Buy an oversized cheap cover and cut it to fit. Also a lot of people find it easier to cover lazy l shaped pools with a cover cut into two large pieces that overlap.
    Thanks for the suggestions. I'll look into that.