SWCG return jet plumbing

Jul 31, 2012
The previous owners of my pool had been using Baquacil. Not knowing any better, I continued with that for a couple years before I made the switch to a salt system. Switching to salt was a great idea. Rushing to buy the salt system without completely figuring out how to connect it was not such a great idea...

I got an Aquatrol system. There was an RJ option that was meant to be mounted vertically and connect directly to the return jet. The other option (HP) was meant to be mounted horizontally. The RJ option seemed more convenient and out of the way, so I went with that.

When I went to install it I found out that my return jet (Aqualuminator) doesn't come straight out the side of my pool horizontally. Its output port is already angled downwards. So now my Salt Cell has a fitting on the top end with a 90deg elbow so that it can mount straight to the return jet. But my return jet port is already facing down, so it doesn't need this elbow fitting.

There's a warning sticker on the elbow fitting that says it must be mounted vertically. The salt cell itself is a generic replacement part. So it can be used either vertically or horizontally depending on which system you have. I think that the HP option included a "flow switch." So I think that's what determines whether or not it can be mounted vertically or horizontally. I don't really understand the purpose of the flow switch though or why its not needed if mounted vertically.

So if I want to keep this mounted vertically, I would need a replacement fitting that screws onto the Salt cell and has just a straight male port that could connect to a hose that attaches to the return port, right? Anyone know where to find that? I don't see it available as a replacement part from aquatrol.

Here's a picture of the ridiculous way I have this cobbled together now:

MVIMG_20180304_160823.jpg

Yeah I'm confused, can you get a picture that is zoomed out more?

I could but its telling me I've exceeded my attachment quota. I'll try explaining better:

Most return jets have their connection port oriented horizontally, coming straight out the side of the pool. Mine is an Aqualuminator and it has its port facing downwards:
https://blog-media.thepoolfactory.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/aqualuminator-light-bulb-replacement-1024x423.jpg
In that picture, the bulb goes straight through to make some electrical connections and the hose connection port is facing downwards.

My Salt cell came with a fitting that was meant to screw directly on to a horizontal facing return jet port. The cell is supposed to be vertical, so this fitting is a 90 deg elbow. So to get this connected in my case, I have to add another 90 deg connecter. In the picture above, this extra fitting is actually a 3 way valve with only 2 ports being used (because I had an extra one of those lying around and just wanted to get this connected and working).

So I think what I want to do is replace the elbow fitting that came with the salt cell, with a straight one. Then I would still have that little short piece of hose connecting the cell to the return jet, but would no longer need the zig zag with the extra fitting.

Here's another angle

Qwl2ASh.jpg

That shows the return jet port facing downwards. The white elbow fitting at the bottom of the picture is attached to the salt cell. That white fitting was supposed to screw directly into a horizontal return jet port.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.