Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: DIY Cement Block IG New project

1. Back To Top    #21

TFP Guide

Re: DIY Cement Block IG New project

Any post-tension slab work being done down there? Would that be appropriate for a pool base? I don't know what's involved, construction-wise, but don't the tensioned slabs resist cracking and movement?
    12300 gallon IG pebble, freeform 19x28, 1 skimmer, 3 returns, no floor drains, auto fill. Pentair: EasyTouch PSL4, ScreenLogic2, Indoor Control Panel, Intelliflo 2 VST, IntelliChlor IC40, IntellipH, CCP320 Cartridge Filter, MasterTemp 250 Heater, Rebel Suction-Side Cleaner, IntelliBrite. Solar and cleaner actuators. Heliocol HC-50 8-panel solar heating. FlowVis Flow Meter. Taylor: K-2006 and K-1766 Test Kits, SpeedStir. City/softened water.

2. Back To Top    #22

In the Industry

I would also opt for a second skimmer......helpful to your circulation pattern and pretty low cost add-on. I would also plumb them separate from one another for more flow control.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #23

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk View Post
    Any post-tension slab work being done down there? Would that be appropriate for a pool base? I don't know what's involved, construction-wise, but don't the tensioned slabs resist cracking and movement?
    I'm afraid that is a bit advanced for this DIY project, but thanks for the suggestion
    20ft x 10ft (with 5ft x 7ft sun shelf) 6,000 Gallon, IG, Cement block / mosaic tile, 3 main returns (1 plumbed so can be used as vacumn port), Hayward SP1070 skimmer, Hayward C751 75 sq ft cartridge filter, UL listed 2-speed 1HP pump 4380/2100 GPH.

4. Back To Top    #24

Hi 'pushin g',

I appreciate your in depth reply and I have started to work my way through your 2017 renovation project to see what more I can glean from there too. RE rectangle versus irregular, I have a limited amount of level space and the kidney/irregular shape will both utilize what I do have and blend well with the mountain above and below the pool I think, but as you say, I'm sure a rectangle would be easier The main dig is almost complete and I hope to post photos soon. Please do pitch in with any further suggestions as things progress.
    20ft x 10ft (with 5ft x 7ft sun shelf) 6,000 Gallon, IG, Cement block / mosaic tile, 3 main returns (1 plumbed so can be used as vacumn port), Hayward SP1070 skimmer, Hayward C751 75 sq ft cartridge filter, UL listed 2-speed 1HP pump 4380/2100 GPH.

5. Back To Top    #25

Another thing you might consider is placing french drains at the bottom of your footers all around your pool, or at least on the uphill side. Of course that depends on your soils and how much rain you get in your area. I don't think most gunite pools are done this way, and I'm not sure if my pool has them as I did not build it, but house foundations, particularly those with basements usually have french drains placed around them for a number of reasons that may also benefit an in ground concrete block pool. Just a thought.
    34K gal, 20'x40' IGP (backfilled and reinforced concrete block walls with concrete floor built mid-1970's; renovated 2017), PebbleSheen Arctic White plaster finish, Lotus Prisma Marine 1x2 glass waterline tiles, Indiana limestone coping, 1.5hp Hayward pump, Pentair Triton II TR100 sand filter, Pentair Intellibrite 5g color LED 120v Pool Light, Dolphin Supreme M400 robot, Stenner 45M1 pump, Pentair 320 chlorinator (to raise CYA only)

6. Back To Top    #26

Quote Originally Posted by pushin glass View Post
    Another thing you might consider is placing french drains at the bottom of your footers all around your pool, or at least on the uphill side. Of course that depends on your soils and how much rain you get in your area. I don't think most gunite pools are done this way, and I'm not sure if my pool has them as I did not build it, but house foundations, particularly those with basements usually have french drains placed around them for a number of reasons that may also benefit an in ground concrete block pool. Just a thought.
    Fortunately drainage is not an issue here - there are muliple drainage canals already in place deflecting rain water from the mountain and it shouldn't be a concern in my particular situation, but thank you anyway

7. Back To Top    #27

pool 1.jpg All done
    Slightly smaller than first planned and retangular rather than irregular shape, but otherwise, with a couple of exceptions, kept to the main principles and advice obtained here, so thank you!

8. Back To Top    #28

Looks great! Id love to see pics of the construction.

9. Back To Top    #29

TFP Guide

Came out great. Congrat's! Very inviting color. And thanks for updating your thread with the end result!!
    12300 gallon IG pebble, freeform 19x28, 1 skimmer, 3 returns, no floor drains, auto fill. Pentair: EasyTouch PSL4, ScreenLogic2, Indoor Control Panel, Intelliflo 2 VST, IntelliChlor IC40, IntellipH, CCP320 Cartridge Filter, MasterTemp 250 Heater, Rebel Suction-Side Cleaner, IntelliBrite. Solar and cleaner actuators. Heliocol HC-50 8-panel solar heating. FlowVis Flow Meter. Taylor: K-2006 and K-1766 Test Kits, SpeedStir. City/softened water.

10. Back To Top    #30

Quote Originally Posted by SBall View Post
    Looks great! Id love to see pics of the construction.
    As soon as admin upgrade my membership I will be happy to upload some....it's been a while since I paid.... I have received a receipt from Paypal but I'm still limited to 256kb of attachments

11. Back To Top    #31

TFP Guide

I'm checking on your membership status...

12. Back To Top    #32

Quote Originally Posted by gerryuk View Post
    as soon as admin upgrade my membership i will be happy to upload some....it's been a while since i paid.... I have received a receipt from paypal but i'm still limited to 256kb of attachments
    Quote Originally Posted by dirk View Post
    i'm checking on your membership status...
    done! Thanks!!!
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

13. Back To Top    #33

Quote Originally Posted by GerryUK View Post
    As soon as admin upgrade my membership I will be happy to upload some....it's been a while since I paid.... I have received a receipt from Paypal but I'm still limited to 256kb of attachments

01. Ironwork.jpg02. Floor poured & building walls.jpg03. Sun shelf floor - walls completed.jpg04. Two coats of waterproofing, rendering then tile.jpg05. Border stones and wait 2 weeks to cure.jpg06. Fill and finish cement deck.jpg07. Landscaping and pump housing left to complete.jpg08. Night with light.jpg These were the basic stages of construction. As a DIY project the outside labour costs were minimal and materials here in Colombia are more or less the same as in the US - including pump,filter and all construction materials used, the total cost was apprximately US$8,000. If anyone has any specific questions regarding block pool construction, I am by no means an expert, but I'm happy to share what I have learnt.

14. Back To Top    #34

TFP Guide

Well, now I want to build one!!

15. Back To Top    #35

Your handy work would come in handy to one of our other posters. They bought a piece of property that came with a block wall pool that had a liner at one time. They were trying to figure out if they could plaster over the block, or would they have to do another liner.
    I’m on my phone right now, but when I’m on my laptop I’ll try and find the thread.
    ~Rob
    11,000 gallon in ground plaster pebbletech finish. Hayward Tristar VS, Hayward Swimclear, and Hayward Aquanaut 200 pool vac, K-2006 Kit, Speedstir.
    FC/CYA Chart-Finding a suction side air leak>https://youtu.be/eweIDTnJCUw

16. Back To Top    #36

If they have the block work already, as in photo 2 of my project, the next step was to apply two coats of a waterproof coating to the walls and floor. I used something called Sika-101 Mortar which is "a waterproof coating, made with cement and modified polymers that improve its manageability, strength and power adherence" and it goes on with a large brush, almost like a paint. Photo 3 shows the waterproofing applied. Once that was done, the walls and floor were rendered with cement plus a waterproof additive. I used Sika-1 which is "a white liquid additive improved with synthetic polymers that acts as an integral waterproofing by plugging pores and capillaries in mortars" to get the smooth finish as in photo 4. You are then ready to tile. I used Astral mosaic tile, manufactured in Spain and specifically for pools. For the tile adhesive, I used Corona Pegacor Flex and for the grout, I used Corona Concolor Max, both high quality products specifically for pools. The pool has been up and running for a month now and there is no water loss other than evaporation (confirmed by doing the bucket test).

17. Back To Top    #37

Sorry for the delay, but I didn't forget.

Here's the link to the folks that you may be able to give some insite to thier block pool questions.

https://www.troublefreepool.com/thre...=1#post1487078
    ~Rob
    11,000 gallon in ground plaster pebbletech finish. Hayward Tristar VS, Hayward Swimclear, and Hayward Aquanaut 200 pool vac, K-2006 Kit, Speedstir.

18. Back To Top    #38

TFP Guide

I thought it was determined that building a block wall pool was one thing (and possible), but converting a liner pool, that utilized a block wall structure, into a block wall pool was something else again (and not likely possible). Did I misunderstand?

19. Back To Top    #39

Don’t know, that’s why I linked it. With his knowledge in this area, he may be able to offer up some advice.
    ~Rob

20. Back To Top    #40

Quote Originally Posted by Arizonarob View Post
    Don’t know, that’s why I linked it. With his knowledge in this area, he may be able to offer up some advice.
    With the aforementined caveat, 'I am no expert', in my experience I see no reason why, when you have a pre-constructed cement block pool that has already shown that it can withstand the pressures etc with a liner, a comprehensive waterproofing process as described in my earlier post would not serve to complete the job, as it did for me.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast