What in duct tape and glue-nation do I do with this filter?

USBB

Nov 11, 2017
Greenville, SC
First year owning a pool. Trying to sort out what the previous owner did. I want to do a deep clean like is shown in the tutorial section. Those hoses are very hard. It is 32 outside. I am sure the cold has something to do with them being so stiff. Although, they felt pretty stiff when it was warm.

Can I cut those hoses and splice new hose to it? I am a bit overwhelmed. I am not sure what questions to ask. Should I go ahead and replace the top lever thing since it has some kind of expoxy on it? What is that called, and where can i buy a new one? I have a new gauge that I bought when I ordered my TF100.
What about those hoses going into the concrete?
https://www.flickr.com/photos/163238298@N08/shares/48gJx7

The "top lever thing" is called a multiport. It is specific to that filter. I'd rip off all that soft hose I could and replumb with pvc and unions. No clue why anyone would use flex hose to go into or under concrete. I'd sure wait till it got a lot warmer to do a deep clean...that's gonna be a lot of cold water!

I agree. A little part of my soul died when I saw the flex going under the concrete. I am just trying to figure it out before the pool turns green. I have been using a harbor freight trash pump to suck water from the deep end and returning it to the shallow end with a hose as a temporary measure. It works. Not well, but enough.

Just regular pvc and unions from like Lowes or Home Depot, or is there something pool specific?

If you go to my old thread, there is a pic of that end of the pool. The filter and pump are in a recessed concrete well in the upper left of the pic, thankfully that has a drain. The hoses travel from there to the right, to the areas of the slimmer basket. One goes down 6 feet and other other to the basket, and I guess the return water jets, one on each end. So to fix it properly, I would have to bust up the whole deck and dig down to the lines. My best bet for now is to splice onto what is sticking out and be very nice to it.

https://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/153692-New-pool-owner-fresh-fill-green-water-winterizing-s

Oh man! What were they thinking??? So lets be nice to it for sure.............nice hose, we like you hose, will you last forever please hose? This will be one of those measure 50 times before you even bring a saw near them!

Do you know how to work with PVC and such?

Kim:kim:

Yes. I am
comfortable working with PVC, PEX, and copper. The only part I am worried about is cutting those hoses and the transition piece so I can connect the rest. I am thinking of some kind of insert and a hose clamp—-with some duct tape. LOL A week from Saturday it is going to be warm. I am going to roll the dice and start it up as is. Maybe I can get one season out of it. I just bought the house. As you might imagine from this pic, there are several pressing things I need to fix—including my urinal that leaks when you flush it and my well that turned orange over the winter

I say start her up and see what happens. We can teach you how to back wash it. That may be for the best right now if it will run like it is. Save you some time and money for now. Make sure to have video running when you do start her up so we can see what happens. :gone:

leaky urinal-wax ring?

well turned orange-filter needs cleaned?

I hope it is that easy!

So how does the inside of the house look? Any more duct tape repairs inside?? OH wait.............go looking for bondo fixes on the wood! That is what we found here!

No, my flushometer tube is cracked. How does that even happen? The well is picking up colloidal iron. I have double whole house filters that are new. I will be renting a trencher and connecting to city water. This will also give me a
chance to fix the underground power line to the dog house that is wired. It is on a 10 x10 pad, 6x6 inside with 8’ ceilings and wired. Walls finished inside and out. This is a crazy house. It was built by the homeowner that lost it in a foreclosure. It is quirky, but I love most things about it. Let’s be clear. The flex hose in concrete isn’t one of them. The urinal has grown on me. It is a conversation piece. LOL

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have the dog of the former owner. His parents live next door and he was tied on a short rope to a tree. He has never been loved or socialized. It took me months to get him to not be afraid and bite me out of fear. When cold weather set in I asked if I could house him. He is happy now and has toys. He wouldn’t play with me before. He is also fat.
now. You can’t see his ribs anymore

You are a good person USBB!

So you bought a house/pool that was foreclosed on AND is right next door to the parents of the person it was foreclosed from. That could be awkward. I hope they are being good neighbors (don't sound like good people with the way they treated the dog).

Feel free to post pics of the now happy dog. We all love pet pics. One build had goats as the stars of the show! They even had beds on the porch!

The parents are sweet. They are in their late 80’s. They did the best they could for the dog. They are happy I have him. It is a bit awkward with the son. He has made a lot of choices that have grieved then. He hasn’t bothered me or been unkind though, and I have done my best to show him respect.

I have not responded since a lot of people were helping, but looking at that mess I would order a new multiport valve first, then remove that whole s show, with the Bondo epoxy looking stuff you really don't know what your getting into.

I agree with you. Once I take that apart, there will be no putting it back together. I am pricing out the parts now that I know what it is called. I am also going to replace the sand in there rather than clean it. Anything could be inside. I am going to convert to salt too. Until then, I am going to try to be careful and pray that it runs and holds out until I can deal with the bigger project all at once. I am planning to see if it works a week from Saturday. I will post back and let you know how it goes. The top lever moves, but feels stiff. I also feel like it might be a little brittle. I will be gentle with it.

Is there a place you all recommend buying multi-ports and stuff like that from? I asked a while back about buying the salt water generator was given this link. Welcome to Discount Salt Pool - Saltwater Chlorine Generators - Chlorinators

- - - Updated - - -

This pool is certainly testing me. When the fiberglass resin repair kit says it has a working time of 7-8 minutes, it is serious. I had to repair in about 20 spots before I could fill it. They aren't the prettiest repairs, but they are smooth and holding. All the cracks and holes just had silicon caulk on them before or were just open holes.

Wanted to chime in about the PVC and fittings for your pool. If your planning to do a lot of PVC work, check out pvcfittingsonline.com. I used them both times I did plumbing work on my pool and from what I figure, the local store would have cost me 2-3x as much, even with paying for online shipping. Also, their CS is really good. They changed the part number of a union I needed to reorder, and when I called them about it, they sent me 2 of the unions I had ordered previously at no cost and let me keep the incorrect ones.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.