Adding Pentair LP-Heater to Pentair Easy Touch system with solar, help installing.

jongig

LifeTime Supporter
Nov 27, 2010
I have a Pentair Easy Touch 4 control system with a Pentair VS pump, Pentair salt cell and a Heliocol solar system. I want to add a Pentair MasterTemp 250K BTU heater to the system because in the last couple years we've not been able to rely on the sun for heat. We like the pool to be 90 and if the sun is out that's not a problem but a couple days without sun and there's no use of the pool on the weekend. I want to hook up this new heater so that it's only used intermittently.

Like the solar system I thought I'd isolate the heater with a Jandy valve but the diagrams provided by Pentair don't show this as a possibility. It seems as though they want water going through the heater all the time. Maybe this is okay but it's a loss of head in the system, seems like a waste since I believe the heater will be used maybe one or two days a week for a few hours.

I also thought that Pentair would have a heater that has a RS485 connection back to the Easy Touch just like the salt cell or pool pump but it looks like the heater gets switched using the firemans switch by way of a relay.

Just to explain the heating a little further. I have a large solar system, pool solar by Heliocol and a Solene house solar system using a exchanger in the pool system. The pool all summer in our cold climate will be worst temperature in the morning about 82. The solar from 82 will heat the 16,000 gallons to 87 by 3PM. So it's Sunday morning and my wife says it's a great day for the pool and the pool's 82, sorry sweetie but it won't hit 90. Her remark, true story, all that we put into the back yard and I can't enjoy it on the one day I have available. I said to myself that next year this will not happen and the heater now sits in the basement waiting to be installed. So the next Sunday this happens I'll go to my phone click a app and I'll now have the pool 90 by noon and a happier wife.

The system works this way. The pump is on all day at a lower RPM, the solar roof temperature probe connected to the Easy Touch system heats up and the jandy valve redirects water to the roof and simultaneously the pump increases RPM to compensate for the increased head. The solar exchanger from the domestic solar system uses a exchanger with a Jandy valve and is operated by a different control system. If there is sufficient pressure in the pool plumbing and the solar glycol is hot then the Jandy valve directs water through the exchanger and then through the salt cell and then out to the pool.

Thanks for the help.

J,

Well, if you had a question buried in your post, I must have missed it... :p

The manual I looked at showed a bypass on page 13.. it is just not required to make the heater work.. I would never recommend installing a heater without a bypass.

Having RS-485 control does not give you any great advantages and I've read several Heat Pump problem threads about using it.

The go-to heater here is the Ray-Pak...

Thanks,

Jim R.

Yea, not very clear.

Like the solar system I thought I'd isolate the heater with a Jandy valve but the diagrams provided by Pentair don't show this as a possibility.

I'm looking for how to connect the heater in my system and as I mentioned I'd like to isolate it with a Jandy valve.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.