Crumbling Faux Rock

Styree

Mar 4, 2018
Encinitas, CA
Hello,

We recently purchased a home in Encinitas, CA that has a large pool with a significant amount of faux rock and it is crumbling into the pool and rust is showing through in parts, which makes me concerned about the underlying rebar. The amount of faux rock is not my preference so I am concerned about spending a lot of money to repair damaged faux rock but was not sure whether (1) repair to faux rock is a large/expensive undertaking or whether there is a simple solution like having it resealed, or (2) whether it is feasible to get rid of some of the faux rock and just put in some white stucco retaining walls and tile features without demoing the entire pool. Also, with this type of condition of the faux rock, could this cause the pool to fail? The faux rock goes below the water line and what appears to be the shell. In case this matters, the base of the pool is pebble tech.

Thank you for your help! A few pictures are below of the pool and then more focused on the condition of the faux rock.

Kind Regards,
Stacey

IMG_0401.jpgIMG_0402.jpg

Hi! That is quite a formation you have there. I like it but can see where some would not. Hummmm so it is showing it's age and you do not like it. BUT some of it goes below the water line. All of that=a big job for sure.

Here are my ideas. Clean it up REAL good. Bleach and scrubbing to see what you are really working with. Call around to the different pool builders (PB) in your area asking about who does their faux rock stuff. After a while a couple of names should start being said. If they will not give out the name then drive around and see if you can find some pools that are being built. Stop in and talk to the workers. Asking THEM who they know that does good faux rock stuff. Take some tens with you to sweeten the pot.

Once you get a name or two invite them to your pool and ask them what can be done. If they can put it up they should know how to take it down is my thinking. Tell them it will be a cash job to get their interest.

Let us know what you find out. If you want I can fly out your way with a sledge hammer LOL You buy I fly!!!

Kim:kim:

Thank you, Kim! I will call around and let you know what they end up saying. Best, Stacey

Hi! That is quite a formation you have there. I like it but can see where some would not. Hummmm so it is showing it's age and you do not like it. BUT some of it goes below the water line. All of that=a big job for sure.

Here are my ideas. Clean it up REAL good. Bleach and scrubbing to see what you are really working with. Call around to the different pool builders (PB) in your area asking about who does their faux rock stuff. After a while a couple of names should start being said. If they will not give out the name then drive around and see if you can find some pools that are being built. Stop in and talk to the workers. Asking THEM who they know that does good faux rock stuff. Take some tens with you to sweeten the pot.

Once you get a name or two invite them to your pool and ask them what can be done. If they can put it up they should know how to take it down is my thinking. Tell them it will be a cash job to get their interest.

Let us know what you find out. If you want I can fly out your way with a sledge hammer LOL You buy I fly!!!

- “cash job” is not good bait, it insulates the buyer or seller is leaving an opportunity to skirt particular laws. When I hear “’cash job’” my first thought is this guy/gal is going to be a slippery one.

- don’t walk on to job sites without both general contractor & property owners consent, there are insurance job site issues.

To me "cash job" means you do not have to wait for the check to clear (risk of it bouncing) or have to pay extra for a credit card. You do good work, you get paid cash!

I do agree to not walk onto anyone's property. Wait until one of them comes out to the truck or call one of them over to talk to you.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.