Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: big heater small pump.

1. Back To Top    #1

big heater small pump.

So I oversize my heater (266k btu) for quick recovery but use a small pump (1/2hp) that matches the head and volume of my pool.

Now I am thinking of a potential problem.

Output temperature of the heater. Seing as the GPM thru the heater will be low. Will the output be crazy hot and risk damage to my lines? Thanks.
    Blue Hawaiian “Wellington” FG pool 6500 Gal. Raypak 266 NG Nickle plated, 3/4hp Hayward super pump, Heater Reader wifi / app controller. Pentair 420 sq' cartridge filter. Hayward 25k SWG
    Pal LED pool lighting. Jandy K-1100 Electronic Autofiller Build thread here: 2018: Fiberglass install uxbridge ointario

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: big heater small pump.

What exact pump?
    Support the site

Trouble Free Pool is a free resource. The people who answer questions are volunteers. If you find the site to be a good resource, please consider making a donation to help support the site. Thanks.

3. Back To Top    #3

Hayward super pump SP2600X5W
    Blue Hawaiian “Wellington” FG pool 6500 Gal. Raypak 266 NG Nickle plated, 3/4hp Hayward super pump, Heater Reader wifi / app controller. Pentair 420 sq' cartridge filter. Hayward 25k SWG
    Pal LED pool lighting. Jandy K-1100 Electronic Autofiller Build thread here: 2018: Fiberglass install uxbridge ointario

4. Back To Top    #4

The minimum flow rate for the heater is about 25 gpm. The pump can do that as long as the total head loss is less than about 38 feet.

As long as the filter pressure stays below about 10 psi, you should probably have enough flow.
    Support the site

Trouble Free Pool is a free resource. The people who answer questions are volunteers. If you find the site to be a good resource, please consider making a donation to help support the site. Thanks.