What is the best way to tame leaves in the pool?

Lis010

Feb 25, 2018
Houston, TX
Hiyah!!!

What is the best way to tame leaves in the pool? We have an oak tree right where our pool is and it’s a LOT of work removing the leaves daily. Currently I’m using the skimmer to fish out the leaves.
We can’t use our pool vacuum bot yet because the plaster is not 1.5 months yet. Any helpful tips or tricks appreciated.

I wish that was an option, unfortunately they HOA makes it tough to do .

They can't stop you from trimming trees that are in your yard. As long as you prune responsibly, the tree will be fine and you'll be able to cut back some growth. If you let the HOA know what you're doing and why you are doing it (and get any permissions prior to the work being done), then legally you have satisfied your obligation to the community.

(I know a thing or two about how HOA's operate... ;) )

You are absolutely correct about the right to trim/prune your backyard...
where I’d run into problems with my HOA is my desire to remove it completely as you initially suggested with a chainsaw ;). But that’s not an option.

I’m hopeful that someone on this group might have some amazing tricks to overcome the downpour of leaves they could share... I am a very willing advice-taker!!!

Fully screened in pool enclosure?

I hear they’re all the rage in FL and you’ll keep the bugs out too!!

(You said you were a willing advice taker...you didn’t say anything about sticking to a budget :laughblue: )

Maybe a leaf net can help you manage it. But if you swim daily that will get old quick (removal and putting it on). If you only swim on weekends I think that will be your best bet. Even with a robot the basket will fill very quickly and not a lot of leaves will fit inside since, as you know, they are large thick leaves that won't get compacted easily.

Maybe a leaf net can help you manage it. But if you swim daily that will get old quick (removal and putting it on).

What about a shade sail? They look nice, are relatively easy to install (I did my own), provide shade (of course), and if placed strategically might fend off some or most of the leaves. Nothing to take on or off for swimming. You could angle it such that a little shake and the leaves would fall off, away from the pool, then collect them off the ground. This is the brand I bought:

https://shadesails.com

Of if you don't want to block the sun or a view, there are similar products made of netting that could keep leaves out of the pool.

Either would be similar to a leaf net, but above your pool instead of on it. And certainly cheaper than an entire screened in pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Lisa, until autumn, you should e able to control leaves with a PoolSkim (I have one...they help a lot!), good circulation, and a bit of hand skimming with a leaf net...its actually a relaxing thing to do ;)

Come fall, the leaf net helps a great deal. The way I've rigged one up in the past was to secure with bungee clips and guide rope to walk it off single-handedly. I have a Forrest surrounding my pool, which is at the bottom of a terrace. If your leaf traffic s less, you ay find you don't even need that ;)

c1c3b226cd55df02b338047f68e8795d.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.