Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: What is the best way to tame leaves in the pool?

1. Back To Top    #1

What is the best way to tame leaves in the pool?

Hiyah!!!

What is the best way to tame leaves in the pool? We have an oak tree right where our pool is and itís a LOT of work removing the leaves daily. Currently Iím using the skimmer to fish out the leaves.
    We canít use our pool vacuum bot yet because the plaster is not 1.5 months yet. Any helpful tips or tricks appreciated.
    19,000 gallon free-form, IG gunite mini-pebble pool and spa; cartridge filter; Hayward 400F DN, SP 3202VSP, C 7030; brand new pool 2/1/2018, Houston, TX; using Taylor K-2006 FAS-DPD tests.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: What is the best way to tame leaves in the pool?

Chainsaw....works every time.
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

3. Back To Top    #3

I wish that was an option, unfortunately they HOA makes it tough to do .
    19,000 gallon free-form, IG gunite mini-pebble pool and spa; cartridge filter; Hayward 400F DN, SP 3202VSP, C 7030; brand new pool 2/1/2018, Houston, TX; using Taylor K-2006 FAS-DPD tests.

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Lis010 View Post
    I wish that was an option, unfortunately they HOA makes it tough to do .
    They can't stop you from trimming trees that are in your yard. As long as you prune responsibly, the tree will be fine and you'll be able to cut back some growth. If you let the HOA know what you're doing and why you are doing it (and get any permissions prior to the work being done), then legally you have satisfied your obligation to the community.

(I know a thing or two about how HOA's operate... )
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

5. Back To Top    #5

Other than trimming....you may be down to deciding if it's worth fooling with a leaf cover net or not.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

6. Back To Top    #6

You are absolutely correct about the right to trim/prune your backyard...
    where I’d run into problems with my HOA is my desire to remove it completely as you initially suggested with a chainsaw . But that’s not an option.

I’m hopeful that someone on this group might have some amazing tricks to overcome the downpour of leaves they could share... I am a very willing advice-taker!!!

7. Back To Top    #7

Fully screened in pool enclosure?

I hear they’re all the rage in FL and you’ll keep the bugs out too!!

(You said you were a willing advice taker...you didn’t say anything about sticking to a budget )
    Matt

8. Back To Top    #8

Maybe a leaf net can help you manage it. But if you swim daily that will get old quick (removal and putting it on). If you only swim on weekends I think that will be your best bet. Even with a robot the basket will fill very quickly and not a lot of leaves will fit inside since, as you know, they are large thick leaves that won't get compacted easily.
    Inground, vinyl liner, 16 x 32 (approx. 21k gallons), roman end w/ bench, 2 Jandy LED lights
    Pump: Jandy Flopro, 1.5 hp Heater: Raypak, 266k btu (P-R266-A-EN-C; nat gas) Filter: Jandy C340 (cartridge filter) Robot: Doheny's Dolphin Discovery SWCG: Circupool RJ45

9. Back To Top    #9

TFP Guide

Hereís an idea called Pool Skim. I donít have one but remembered seeing others discuss it.
    https://www.amazon.com/PoolSkim-Pool.../dp/B002WKOEGM
    18'x38' Rectangle (3'-8 1/2' deep w/ diving board) - 27K gal. w/ gray plaster
    Hayward equipment (cartridge filter, 2-speed pump, SWCG, automation) View Our Build
    Coverstar automatic pool cover | StoneMakers concrete retaining wall and decking | Merlin SmartMesh winter safety cover
    Spring 2013 Build | Dolphin Active 20 robot cleaner | Support TFP!

10. Back To Top    #10

TFP Guide

Maybe a leaf net can help you manage it. But if you swim daily that will get old quick (removal and putting it on).
    What about a shade sail? They look nice, are relatively easy to install (I did my own), provide shade (of course), and if placed strategically might fend off some or most of the leaves. Nothing to take on or off for swimming. You could angle it such that a little shake and the leaves would fall off, away from the pool, then collect them off the ground. This is the brand I bought:

https://shadesails.com

Of if you don't want to block the sun or a view, there are similar products made of netting that could keep leaves out of the pool.

Either would be similar to a leaf net, but above your pool instead of on it. And certainly cheaper than an entire screened in pool.
    12300 gallon IG pebble, freeform 19x28, 1 skimmer, 3 returns, no floor drains, auto fill. Pentair: EasyTouch PSL4, ScreenLogic2, Indoor Control Panel, Intelliflo 2 VST, IntelliChlor IC40, IntellipH, CCP320 Cartridge Filter, MasterTemp 250 Heater, Rebel Suction-Side Cleaner, IntelliBrite. Solar and cleaner actuators. Heliocol HC-50 8-panel solar heating. FlowVis Flow Meter. Taylor: K-2006 and K-1766 Test Kits, SpeedStir. City/softened water.

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by JoyfulNoise View Post
    Fully screened in pool enclosure?

I hear they’re all the rage in FL and you’ll keep the bugs out too!!

(You said you were a willing advice taker...you didn’t say anything about sticking to a budget )
    Awesome suggestion, but when I was pricing it out, it’s way out of my budget. Thanks though.

12. Back To Top    #12

I read about the leaf nets but worry that I can’t set it up without multiple hands to help me.
    Thanks for sharing.

13. Back To Top    #13

I will definitely check this out!!!
    Thank you!!!

- - - Updated - - -

Great idea!!!
    Thanks for sharing!!!

14. Back To Top    #14

Lisa, until autumn, you should e able to control leaves with a PoolSkim (I have one...they help a lot!), good circulation, and a bit of hand skimming with a leaf net...its actually a relaxing thing to do

Come fall, the leaf net helps a great deal. The way I've rigged one up in the past was to secure with bungee clips and guide rope to walk it off single-handedly. I have a Forrest surrounding my pool, which is at the bottom of a terrace. If your leaf traffic s less, you ay find you don't even need that
    In ground vinyl Grecian, 24k gal, Hayward 220t sand filter, VGreen VSP 165, Hayward SWG, Raypak NG 265k heater, dolphin m4.
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!
    Helpful Links:
    GET A TEST KIT Chlorine/CYA Chart How to SLAM About Metals & Stains

15. Back To Top    #15

In the Industry

Automatic cover
    Over 30 years in the pool business
    We build vinyl, fiberglass, stainless steel pools
    Certified in Hydraulics

16. Back To Top    #16

In the Industry