Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Walmart Bleach- Concentrated vs Cleaning

1. Back To Top    #1

Walmart Bleach- Concentrated vs Cleaning

I saw Walmart concentrated bleach is now 6% concentration. This is the same as Walmart cleaning bleach. Is there any difference between these now? Neither appeared to be easy pour or anything like that. Concentrated is $2.94 and cleaning is$1.77.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    20000 gallon vinyl liner in ground pool
    16' X 34' rectangular diving pool
    Hayward Pro Grid DE Filter
    Hayward 1 hp Super Pump
    TF-100 Test Kit Stenner 45MPHP10

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Walmart Bleach- Concentrated vs Cleaning

I think that's regular bleach, maybe wait for a few more replies
    Casey
    Intex 24' x 52" closed for winter 2018, 2 Main Drains, 1 Skimmer, 1 Return, PVC
    1/2 HP Intex Pump 633T w/ Taeglus TA-40 175 lb 19.5" Sand Filter, Auqabot Extreme Robot
    TF-50 and Taylor 2006 Test Kits, Quality Well Water, Fleck 5800SXT Water Softener

3. Back To Top    #3

I went to WM yesterday looking for bleach and they only had a few old bottles of the Cleaning (8.25%) on the shelf. Everything else was this new Concentrated bottle ( listed as 6%). The price on each was 2.94 per bottle. Looks like I will have to search out a new source for bleach or go to their pool section which had 10% there last year.
    12600 gallons, 24 foot round above ground
    Hayward Sand filter, Hayward Powerflo 1.5 hp Single Speed pump

4. Back To Top    #4

I noticed that 6% on the new labels for the concentrated also. I wonder if that is a misprint on the new labels. They shouldn't have two different labeled bleaches that are both 6%.
    24,200 gal., IG vinyl, 18' x 36' rectangular, average depth 5'. K-2006C
    Jandy SFTM22 sand filter, 1.65 HP PureLine VS Pump, Doheny's Discovery Robot.
    One skimmer, one main drain, two eyeball jets, and one return from the booster pump.
    One wife of 28 years (schoolteacher, first grade), four kids (ages 16,18,19, and 21).
    I work night shift (Pediatric RN) so most of my posts will be during the night.

5. Back To Top    #5

I visited two Austin Walmarts two days ago and also found only a couple old jugs of 8% concentrated bleach left.

I can't imagine the 6% concentration is a misprint on an entirely new jug label. I expect they have switched suppliers.

Please chime in for other economical places to buy bleach for my pool.

Thanks
    Austin, TX
    18,000 gallon pool that was built in 1986.
    Handy guy and first time pool owner.

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

This is a known issue. Both WalMart and Clorox have lowered their percentages to 6% for the same price. The WalMart "concentrated" and "cleaning" are the exact same thing. It appears the 10% bottles in the pool section are still ok, although in my location they've been a little old. Target and your local grocery store may still have 8.25%. Cleaning supply stores may have higher % in larger bulk as well.
    32K gallon Plaster - CircuPool SJ-55 SWG - 1hp Hayward 2 speed Super Pump - Hayward S200 Sand Filter - TF100XL/K-1766
    Test Kits - Pool Math - Chlorine/CYA/Target/Slam Chart - Support TFP

7. Back To Top    #7

I was surprised tonight to find generic Kroger Bleach 8% for $3 per gallon.
    28,000 Gallon, IG, Vinyl, SWG, Sand Filter
    Goldline Aqua Rite SWG
    Hayward Pro Series Sand Filter
    Flotec Pump
    Hayward Turbulent Flo Chamber

8. Back To Top    #8

So it is safe to use the walmart cleaning bleach in my pool just like the concentrated? Just wanna make sure. The cleaning bleach is a lot cheaper and the same 6%.

9. Back To Top    #9

I'd say yep, it's safe. There's nothing other than Sodium hypochlorite listed on the ingredients. I too just recently saw the reduction in concentration (but not in price )
    10k Intex Ultra Frame 20x52 AG, Intex SF60110-1 3000gph filter, Intex Skimmer, Taylor k1005 test kit

10. Back To Top    #10

TFP Guide

I've been using the cleaning bleach this year, even if concentrated bleach was 8.25 cleaning is still cheaper, just don't grab the lemon cleaning bleach
    Casey
    Intex 24' x 52" closed for winter 2018, 2 Main Drains, 1 Skimmer, 1 Return, PVC
    1/2 HP Intex Pump 633T w/ Taeglus TA-40 175 lb 19.5" Sand Filter, Auqabot Extreme Robot
    TF-50 and Taylor 2006 Test Kits, Quality Well Water, Fleck 5800SXT Water Softener

11. Back To Top    #11

Surely someone can comment on one what is going on in this space at retail.

I haven’t bought much bleach this year until now but we are all wise to what’s up- Walmart and dollar general both are selling regular and “concentrated” bleach @ 6.0%.

Same experience here- at Kroger it is still there at 3 bucks, but I think Walmart’s brand of Pool Essentials is a marginally better deal of 10% at $3.64

Intex 22' x 52" - Intex Krystal Clear Sand Filter Pump - flow rate: 2,150 gal per hour
    TFTest Kits TF-100
    Waiting to stop relocating until I build my dream pool!