Is my ladder causing algae?

Mar 4, 2018
Toledo/ ohio
Since we had our above ground pool installed 3 years ago, we’ve had a big problem with algae. We have steps similar to these View attachment 73283. They seem to collect algae and everything else underneath. You can vacuum behind unless you move them. That’s a chore because they are attached to the deck. So, I would need to unscrew them and move the 100lbs of sand that holds them down. Could this be the reason I’m having algae problems? Would it be smarter to get a regular ladder type?

Welcome to the forum! :wave:
Could this be the reason I’m having algae problems?
It could be. Steps of just about all type tend to provide little nooks & cranny's for water to get stagnant. Regardless of the ladder, if it has hollow poles, steps, etc, it can be an issue. Ensuring that your water is maintained correctly with the proper amount of chlorine (based on your current CYA level) also helps.

What I would suggest is posting a full set of numbers for us to help you evaluate. That's assuming you have either a TF-100 or Taylor K-2006C test kit. If not, that would be recommendation #1. It's a must. Also let us know how you chlorinate your pool, and finally, don't forget to update your signature with all of your pool info. It will help a lot later as we go back & forth.

No, it would be impossible for a ladder to "cause algae" Ladders are steel and plastic.

There may be algae on the ladder, but that can be corrected with brushing and chlorine.

No, it would be impossible for a ladder to "cause algae" Ladders are steel and plastic.
In its simplest terms, that is correct. The steel and plastic in of themselves do not create algae. In ladders, steps, and wedding cake-type stairs with gaps, poles, and hollow reinforced openings, the lack of water circulation contributes to algae since fresh chlorinated water cannot access those points. We've had people disassemble ladder steps and brush pole frames only to find a mess inside. Do a quick search for "algae in ladder/step" and you'll be amazed. Some folks will even use a syringe to inject chlorine directly into those trouble spots.

In its simplest terms, that is correct. The steel and plastic in of themselves do not create algae. In ladders, steps, and wedding cake-type stairs with gaps, poles, and hollow reinforced openings, the lack of water circulation contributes to algae since fresh chlorinated water cannot access those points. We've had people disassemble ladder steps and brush pole frames only to find a mess inside. Do a quick search for "algae in ladder/step" and you'll be amazed. Some folks will even use a syringe to inject chlorine directly into those trouble spots.

Nailed It with your reply Texas Splash! We have the wedding cake type steps in our pool and have had several battles with algae due to lack of circulation, around/behind them. As you can imagine these battles have always been a nightmare! We since have added another water flow directional return inlet near the steps to help the water circulation around and behind them and I also will use a syringe to inject chlorine down into the tubes.

MissDiana- can you tell us these test levels?-
FC
CC
pH
TA
CH
CYA

Your algae problems are a chemistry problem with a high risk of poor circulation behind and around and possibly inside the stairs. If the chlorine can't get to the nooks and crevices, it can't kill anything living there.

Do you brush often? Can you get all around the steps with a brush as well as having your FC high enough based on your CYA level?
[FC/CYA][/FC/CYA]

Maddie :flower:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.