Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: My water is more on the greener side

1. Back To Top    #1

My water is more on the greener side

Hi all, I maintain my pool myself and was wondering why my water is more on the green side rather than blue.. It's always been like that since I've owned it and my chemicals are are always balanced.

I'm thinking its from the beach like finish of my pool vs. a white finish. But I ,m not sure so I figured I'd ask the experts.

Again all chemicals are balanced. No algae
    Thanks Todd.
    15,000 gal. In ground, sand textured with beach area, spa located in beach area with spillover equal to pool level.Rock waterfall with 4 foot drop.Hayward goldline aquaplus automation all wireless remote.T 15 cell,Propane heater,Super 2 for pool/spa,Super 2 for waterfall.Cartridge filter and solar panels.

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: My water is more on the greener side

Welcome!

Can you post some test results and what test kit you use?
    Casey
    Intex 24' x 52" closed for winter 2018, 2 Main Drains, 1 Skimmer, 1 Return, PVC
    1/2 HP Intex Pump 633T w/ Taeglus TA-40 175 lb 19.5" Sand Filter, Auqabot Extreme Robot
    TF-50 and Taylor 2006 Test Kits, Quality Well Water, Fleck 5800SXT Water Softener

3. Back To Top    #3

Hi like cfherrman says, please post test results and kit that you are using to get results. We can't help you unless we see some of your water tests
    6,000 gal, IG free form,Beach Series Antigua by Marbletite Pebble finish,Sheer Descent, IG Fountain, Dolphin / Mermaid Statues,Dura- Glas 1.5hp pump,Hayward Pro-grid DE4820, Aqua Rite SWG with T-Cell 15,Heat Siphon Heat Pump DX 5.0 109,000 btu, Pool Cage, 1800sq ft Tremron Estate Pavers,Aquatherm Ecosun Solar Panels 192 sq ft with GL-235 Controller,Pentair IntelliBrite, Apollo Magnetic Stirrer Our New Poolbuild, Jacksonville, FL yr 2009 Solar install Outdoor kitchen upgrade

4. Back To Top    #4

I use the tfp test kit 100 or 150 ..something like that.. I'm sure it's not the ballance I have been doing it a long time per tfp guidelines . But next go round I will post some results. Last results were CH 3.5, PH 7.2, calcium hardness 320, cya 75, salt 2800
    Thanks Todd.
    15,000 gal. In ground, sand textured with beach area, spa located in beach area with spillover equal to pool level.Rock waterfall with 4 foot drop.Hayward goldline aquaplus automation all wireless remote.T 15 cell,Propane heater,Super 2 for pool/spa,Super 2 for waterfall.Cartridge filter and solar panels.

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Themacdadt View Post
    I use the tfp test kit 100 or 150 ..something like that.. I'm sure it's not the ballance I have been doing it a long time per tfp guidelines . But next go round I will post some results. Last results were CH 3.5, PH 7.2, calcium hardness 320, cya 75, salt 2800
    Hi Todd are you sure CH is 3.5 Then that's a problem.
    6,000 gal, IG free form,Beach Series Antigua by Marbletite Pebble finish,Sheer Descent, IG Fountain, Dolphin / Mermaid Statues,Dura- Glas 1.5hp pump,Hayward Pro-grid DE4820, Aqua Rite SWG with T-Cell 15,Heat Siphon Heat Pump DX 5.0 109,000 btu, Pool Cage, 1800sq ft Tremron Estate Pavers,Aquatherm Ecosun Solar Panels 192 sq ft with GL-235 Controller,Pentair IntelliBrite, Apollo Magnetic Stirrer Our New Poolbuild, Jacksonville, FL yr 2009 Solar install Outdoor kitchen upgrade

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

I bet fc is 3.5, for a cya of 80, min fc is 6, recommend is 9-11
    Casey
    1/2 HP Intex Pump 633T w/ Taeglus TA-40 175 lb 19.5" Sand Filter, Auqabot Extreme Robot
    TF-50 and Taylor 2006 Test Kits, Quality Well Water, Fleck 5800SXT Water Softener

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by Brentr View Post
    Hi Todd are you sure CH is 3.5 Then that's a problem.
    CH meaning chlorine. Yes 3.5
    Sorry for the typo fc is 3.5
    Thanks Todd.

8. Back To Top    #8

CH meaning chlorine. Yes 3.5
    Your FC is too low. I like to keep mine on the high side like 10. What is your CC? If it is greater than 0.25 I would SLAM as you are starting to get algae. I am not an expert but hopefully others will chime in. Also it would make it easier if you can post your results like this.
    FC -
    CC -
    TC -
    pH -
    T/A -
    CH -
    CYA -
    Temp -
    SWG -
    Hope this helps

9. Back To Top    #9

Guys,

The OP has a saltwater pool... Per this chart FC/CYA Chart his minimum FC is 3...

Todd,

The color of the plaster has a great effect on what the water color 'appears' to be... That said... now is the time to double check and make sure there is nothing in the water...

If this were my pool, I would run an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test, just to make sure... See this...Overnight Chlorine Loss Test

Thanks,

Jim R.
    Finished in 2015 - 17K Gal, IG, 20' x 25' Almost Rectangular Pool, Pebble finish, three rockport water falls. Pentair Equipment: EasyTouch 4, IC40 SWG, 3 HP VS Pump, CCP520 Cartridge Filter.
    TF100 with SpeedStir and SampleSizer, ColorQ Pro 7, Dolphin Premier Robot Cleaner, added Screen Logic 2, added small 3 person Caldera Spa.

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by Jimrahbe View Post
    Guys,

The OP has a saltwater pool... Per this chart FC/CYA Chart his minimum FC is 3...

Todd,

The color of the plaster has a great effect on what the water color 'appears' to be... That said... now is the time to double check and make sure there is nothing in the water...

If this were my pool, I would run an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test, just to make sure... See this...Overnight Chlorine Loss Test

Thanks,

Jim R.
    Thanks I will try that.. I am 99 percent my ballance is not the issue. Going to get everything exactly where it should be this weekend but my water has always been more greenish than blueish from the begging of time. Is there a additive to make it bluer or is it better to leave it alone like I have been for years and years. I just see some pools with that blue color and was wondering why mine ain't.
    Thanks Todd.

11. Back To Top    #11

Thanks I will try that.. I am 99 percent my ballance is not the issue. Going to get everything exactly where it should be this weekend but my water has always been more greenish than blueish from the begging of time. Is there a additive to make it bluer or is it better to leave it alone like I have been for years and years. I just see some pools with that blue color and was wondering why mine ain't.
    The only "additive" I can think of would be to re-plaster your pool...

Thanks,

Jim R.
    Finished in 2015 - 17K Gal, IG, 20' x 25' Almost Rectangular Pool, Pebble finish, three rockport water falls. Pentair Equipment: EasyTouch 4, IC40 SWG, 3 HP VS Pump, CCP520 Cartridge Filter.
    TF100 with SpeedStir and SampleSizer, ColorQ Pro 7, Dolphin Premier Robot Cleaner, added Screen Logic 2, added small 3 person Caldera Spa.

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by Jimrahbe View Post
    The only "additive" I can think of would be to re-plaster your pool...

Thanks,

Jim R.
    10-4
    Thanks Todd.

13. Back To Top    #13

TFP Guide

I've seen bottles of pond color additive but that sounds like a bad idea.

It's probably not iron but it on can give a green tint.
    Casey

14. Back To Top    #14

Do you have a picture?

Maybe try a bottle of sequestrant to see if that helps.
    Support the site

Trouble Free Pool is a free resource. The people who answer questions are volunteers. If you find the site to be a good resource, please consider making a donation to help support the site. Thanks.

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by cfherrman View Post
    I bet fc is 3.5, for a cya of 80, min fc is 6, recommend is 9-11
    . Recommended 9-11? Is that for slammin or should I maintain 9-11 daily.
    Thanks Todd.

16. Back To Top    #16

TFP Guide

If your cya is 80 for a bleach pool, yes mantain fc in that range. If your numbers or you have a swg it is different, check the fc/cya chart from this page.
    Casey

17. Back To Top    #17

May wanna take a look-see at the CC
    * 18.5 K Gallon, 8ft deep, IG, Pebble Radiance * Pentair VS 3050 Pump w/420 Cartridge Filter
    * Blue Square Q-360 In-floor Cleaning System * UltraPure UPP25 Ozone Generator
    * Pool startup: 09-04-2012 * TF-100 Test Kit