Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Test a pump start relay

1. Back To Top    #1

Test a pump start relay

In case anyone has experience with this...

Unrelated to the pool -- but, still aquatic related.

Our sprinkler systems -- Hunter XC controller give "P err", which indicates wiring issues or bad pump start relay.

This has been running for years -- so, it's probably the relay. However, I'm not sure how to test the relay. I manually run it -- but, this seems like a "it works or doesn't" part.

Is there any way to test it?
    25K Gallon In-ground Pool with Elevated Spa - Gunite, Hayward 3400VSP, 150 Pentair Cartridge Filter, Hayward In-Line Chlorinator, Zodiac MX8 Pool cleaner - TF 100 test Kit w/ SpeedStir - Space Coast of Florida

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Test a pump start relay

Well it's easy to test any relay with a multi meter and a little searching. Pull the relay out and look up the numbers on it to get an idea on how it works, they are often labeled on then too. That relay is probably NO or normally open so the switch side should be open when off and closed when on. If it's a typical relay you can bang it around a bit to break the buildup on the contacts and get it working again.
    Casey
    Intex 24' x 52" closed for winter 2018, 2 Main Drains, 1 Skimmer, 1 Return, PVC
    1/2 HP Intex Pump 633T w/ Taeglus TA-40 175 lb 19.5" Sand Filter, Auqabot Extreme Robot
    TF-50 and Taylor 2006 Test Kits, Quality Well Water, Fleck 5800SXT Water Softener

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Test a pump start relay

dab,

If you can run the pump manually, then I would have to assume the relay is good, how else would the pump turn on???

Your sprinkler control system most likely measures the relay's coil resistance and if the coil is open or has a very high resistance, then it displays the P error. Applying voltage to the coil of a relay is what turns it on or off. Since the pump works in manual, I would have to say the coil is not open..

I would suspect the problem is with the wiring.. If there are any connections between the pump and your controller, they are probably corroded causing the resistance to increase and causing the error. I also notice that the same error is for "Master Valve" wiring issues, where corrosion can cause the same problem.

Good luck with the hunt..

Jim R.
    Finished in 2015 - 17K Gal, IG, 20' x 25' Almost Rectangular Pool, Pebble finish, three rockport water falls. Pentair Equipment: EasyTouch 4, IC40 SWG, 3 HP VS Pump, CCP520 Cartridge Filter.
    TF100 with SpeedStir and SampleSizer, ColorQ Pro 7, Dolphin Premier Robot Cleaner, added Screen Logic 2, added small 3 person Caldera Spa.