jandy valve control

Mar 2, 2018
Chandler, AZ
20180302_183223.jpg

Picture shows the plumbing out of my filter. ignore the two small 3/4" for aerators, not finished yet.

Pipe 1 i believe is the return.

Pipe 2 and 3 are for the bubbler and water sheer.

Given how the jandy valve is installed between pipe 2 and pipe 3, my understanding is:
a. i can turn off both pipe 2 and 3
b. i can turn on both pipe 2 and 3 (as shown in picture, current jandy valve position)
c. i can turn on pipe 2 and turn off pipe 3.

But given the current installation, can I have pipe 2 off and pipe 3 on ? It seems like it won't do this? But i think i would want that capability, for full independent control of bubbler and water sheer.

Thoughts?

View attachment 73279

Picture shows the plumbing out of my filter. ignore the two small 3/4" for aerators, not finished yet.

Pipe 1 i believe is the return.

Pipe 2 and 3 are for the bubbler and water sheer.

Given how the jandy valve is installed between pipe 2 and pipe 3, my understanding is:
a. i can turn off both pipe 2 and 3
b. i can turn on both pipe 2 and 3 (as shown in picture, current jandy valve position)
c. i can turn on pipe 2 and turn off pipe 3.

But given the current installation, can I have pipe 2 off and pipe 3 on ? It seems like it won't do this? But i think i would want that capability, for full independent control of bubbler and water sheer.

Thoughts?

Hi welcome to TFP. Turn the handle on pipe 2 180 degrees, or the OFF writing facing down :cheers:

eyo,

Well, my initial "thought" is your pool builder is an idiot.. :p

It appears that your valves have stops built in to the valve body that prevent the number two valve from being turned to point down. You can cut the stops off which will allow the valve to turn.

I think a better set up would have been to install a two way valve on both pipes 2 and 3, instead of the three way.. this would have allowed independent operation of both the bubbler and the waterfall and also allowed you to control the amount of water flowing through each water feature.

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

yes, that's exactly the issue i saw. That the stop on the valve body is preventing the handle to be turned 180 degree from the picture. Thanks both your help in confirming my understanding.

Any others ever have to cut the stop on their jandy valve before ?

For the valve above pipe #2 - with the pump off, remove the 8 screws and rotate the lid 90 degrees clockwise. Reinstall the 8 screws. This should give you the ability to control 2 and 3 individually.

You may also wish to consider painting all the white PVC to protect it from out harsh AZ sun.

For the valve above pipe #2 - with the pump off, remove the 8 screws and rotate the lid 90 degrees clockwise. Reinstall the 8 screws. This should give you the ability to control 2 and 3 individually.

Gene,

Sure.. do it the easy way!!! :p

Good catch... I did not even think of doing that... I have a different style of valves with different stops..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Gene,

Sure.. do it the easy way!!! :p

Good catch... I did not even think of doing that... I have a different style of valves with different stops..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Sometimes I just get lucky. :p

Always best not to cut off the tab. If you cut off the tab, there is always the chance of deadheading the valve - preventing any water flow - and causing damage to the plumbing.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Sometimes I just get lucky. :p

Always best not to cut off the tab. If you cut off the tab, there is always the chance of deadheading the valve - preventing any water flow - and causing damage to the plumbing.

Gene,

In general you are absolutely correct, but I did take that into account based upon the valve's location. In this case it can't be worse than what the valve can already do... As is, it can already shut off all the flow to 2 and 3...

Thanks again for you help on this one,

Jim R.

Are you sure that it's a Jandy brand valve?

It looks like a different brand.

I would avoid pulling screws and taking the valve apart.

I would modify the stops if that's easy to do.

I'm guessing they might be Waterway Tru-Seal valves - based on the handle design.
Waterway Truseal Valve Parts - INYOPools.com

In looking at the parts diagram at the above link, it appears to work similar to the Jandy brand valves. Difficult to tell if the lid is marked with any wording to indicate the inlet side (like the Jandy brand is).

On the Jandy brand valves: For return side use, 'inlet' is usually on the side water is coming from (pump/filter side). For suction side use, 'inlet' is usually on the side water is going to (pump side). Based on plumbing layout, any of the 3 ports can be used as the 'inlet' by adjusting the lid accordingly.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.