Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Anyone have an Excel Spreadsheet formula to calculate CSI

1. Back To Top    #1

Question Anyone have an Excel Spreadsheet formula to calculate CSI

Been maintaining my own spreadsheet over the years but now that I have a newly installed granite pool I'm also going to start watching CSI metrics more than I have in the past when I had vinyl pools.

I track the following values each week throughout the season...

2018 Season

Date
    FC (3/5/28/70; 4/6/31/80)
    CC
    TC
    T/A (60-80)
    CH (350-450)
    CYA (70-80)
    pH (7.2-7.8) ideal 7.4-7.6
    Temp
    Salt (3000-3500)
    Borates (30-50)
    CSI [btwn -.60 <-> +.60]
    Pressure Gauge PSI

I've looked for hours ( unsuccessfully ) if someone created a formula that one would use in an excel spreadsheet to calculate CSI. What I do now is enter the values in pool math and enter the value manually in my spreadsheet... although not a major problem, it would be much easier if that formula that's in the pool calculator be converted to a 'formula' for excel to use.

Just asking if someone perhaps is already doing that and if they are willing to share?

Thanks in advance
    ---John
    Location: NJ, Built: August 2017, 27,500 gallon gunite pool(3.5' to 7' deep) and Spa, 100 Amp service on Equipment Pad, 2 HP Jandy Pro pump, Jandy CV460 cartridge filter, AquaCal SQ175 heat pump, Jandy PLC1400 SWG, 1.5 HP Zodiac Polaris QT Spa Blower, (4)Jandy LED lights, Polaris 280 w/ Hayward 3/4 HP booster pump, fully automated using Jandy AquaLink PDA-PS6 - Combo. TF-100 test kit.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Anyone have an Excel Spreadsheet formula to calculate CSI

Get the pay version of the PoolMath app and you can export the logs to a spreadsheet whenever you like.
    18Kgal play pool+spillover spa, Tahoe Blue Quartzscape refurb June 2017, ~40'x15'
    1.5HP VS JeP, CCP420 cartridge filter, Sta-Rite 400HD, 1.0HP VS JeP for sheer descents
    Caretaker 5-port in-floor system, AP1400 SWCG, Aqualink: RS-8 Combo, iQ20, One-Touch
    K-1005, K-1515 FAS-DPD, K-1766, Taylor 9056 comparator, SpeedStir!

3. Back To Top    #3

Here's the formula that's in PoolCalc, pulled from the webpage source. Looks like it wouldn't be very difficult to convert to a spreadsheet formula.

EDIT: A mod edited this post and did not say they did.
    Last edited by jseyfert3; 03-04-2018 at 01:22 PM. Reason: Clarity
    Hot tub: Indoor Intex 28409E "Six Person" inflatable. 290 gallons. Taylor K-2006 test kit with Taylor 9265 Speedstir and TFT CYA test. Using dichlor/bleach/borax/muriatic acid.

4. Back To Top    #4

I think the PoolMath app is great but not quite there yet....Iíve been maintaining a spreadsheet for the last 7 pool seasons. Every Saturday morning is my ritual of testing water and sitting in my ďgarage officeĒ with my laptop maintaining/recording my pool water chemistry. I log everything from issues to remedial action taken and chemical usage that I rely/depend/look back on constantly. Iím not ready to give that up just yet....just looking for perhaps someone who is also logging like I am that figured a way to calculate CSI in a spreadsheet cell.

Location: NJ, Built: August 2017, 27,500 gallon gunite pool(3.5' to 7' deep) and Spa, 100 Amp service on Equipment Pad, 2 HP Jandy Pro pump, Jandy CV460 cartridge filter, AquaCal SQ175 heat pump, Jandy PLC1400 SWG, 1.5 HP Zodiac Polaris QT Spa Blower, (4)Jandy LED lights, Polaris 280 w/ Hayward 3/4 HP booster pump, fully automated using Jandy AquaLink PDA-PS6 - Combo. TF-100 test kit.

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by jseyfert3 View Post
    Here's the formula that's in PoolCalc, pulled from the webpage source. Looks like it wouldn't be very difficult to convert to a spreadsheet formula.

Thank you jseyfert3....Yeah, saw something like this from ChemGeek as well and it’s a little over my Excel expertise....therein lies the problem!

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

I could convert it to excel, if I could see the formula
    Casey
    Intex 24' x 52" closed for winter 2018, 2 Main Drains, 1 Skimmer, 1 Return, PVC
    1/2 HP Intex Pump 633T w/ Taeglus TA-40 175 lb 19.5" Sand Filter, Auqabot Extreme Robot
    TF-50 and Taylor 2006 Test Kits, Quality Well Water, Fleck 5800SXT Water Softener

7. Back To Top    #7

The webpage code showing the CSI calculation from the PoolCalc page that I posted last night has been deleted. So, did a mod edit my post and delete that? Is there something wrong about showing webpage code, something anyone is capable of viewing?
    Hot tub: Indoor Intex 28409E "Six Person" inflatable. 290 gallons. Taylor K-2006 test kit with Taylor 9265 Speedstir and TFT CYA test. Using dichlor/bleach/borax/muriatic acid.

8. Back To Top    #8

I have an Excel spreadsheet I whipped up but it's giving completely different results. For the inputs I put in, PoolMath was giving -0.53 and the Spreadsheet was giving -2.73.

EDIT: That's because I accidentally used a base 10 log in Excel instead of a natural log. Here you go:

EDIT 2: A mod edited this post and did not say they did.
    Last edited by jseyfert3; 03-04-2018 at 01:23 PM. Reason: Clarity

9. Back To Top    #9

There is also one here:

Hydraulics 101 - Have you lost your head?

There is both an Excel and Google Sheets version.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

10. Back To Top    #10

TFP does not wish to allow the PoolMath code to be shared all over the Internet. We have worked hard behind the scenes developing this free tool and do not wish to paste it all over the place. While we know the code is able to be viewed behind the scenes we ask that you please respect our work and not paste it elsewhere.

11. Back To Top    #11

mas985 - It appears I'm getting a 404 Not Found when I attempt to download the Excel link provided on docs.google.com. Is this still a valid link under Chemistry Calculator shown in your 3rd post to that link you sent me?

https://docs.google.com/uc?export=do...HdOanVnWURwcGc

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by Leebo View Post
    TFP does not wish to allow the PoolMath code to be shared all over the Internet. We have worked hard behind the scenes developing this free tool and do not wish to paste it all over the place. While we know the code is able to be viewed behind the scenes we ask that you please respect our work and not paste it elsewhere.
    Leebo -> It would of be nice when you removed the original one from jseyfert3 that you mentioned something to this effect... we asked the question and received no response either so I went ahead thinking perhaps when I replied I might of messed something up and reposted the webcode again thinking nothing was wrong with that. I would of complied with your request if you stated this in the first place.

There's no doubt you worked hard behind the scenes developing this code to make available for all of us TFP users ( and very much appreciated ) but you certainly didn't work hard about protecting it... just saying. The code itself is opened and freely visible to see to anyone who visits the pool math site.

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by johnxxx View Post
    mas985 - It appears I'm getting a 404 Not Found when I attempt to download the Excel link provided on docs.google.com. Is this still a valid link under Chemistry Calculator shown in your 3rd post to that link you sent me?

https://docs.google.com/uc?export=do...HdOanVnWURwcGc

Sorry, the link broke for some reason. Try this: https://docs.google.com/uc?export=do...UpwUWU0OXJMVlE
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

14. Back To Top    #14

Leebo -> It would of be nice when you removed the original one from jseyfert3 that you mentioned something to this effect... we asked the question and received no response either so I went ahead thinking perhaps when I replied I might of messed something up and reposted the webcode again thinking nothing was wrong with that. I would of complied with your request if you stated this in the first place.
    Agreed. Every other forum I've been a member of will tag a post that a mod has edited with something to the effect of "Mod x edited this post <timestamp>. Reason: <fill the blank>". Having a post edited without a message saying it was edited is confusing to both the person who posted and any future readers.

There's no doubt you worked hard behind the scenes developing this code to make available for all of us TFP users ( and very much appreciated ) but you certainly didn't work hard about protecting it... just saying. The code itself is opened and freely visible to see to anyone who visits the pool math site.
    This isn't really possible. If it's a website, the source has to be viewable, otherwise your web browser can't make the page.

To your original question, you can check out Hhem Geek's post here: my awful trip to the pool store - Page 2
    Chemgeek also posted his own spreadsheet in this post: Chem geek chemical calculation spreadsheet?

Neither of those is doing the same calculation that PoolMath does, but that said, it does appear to be what PoolMath used to do, based on the commented (not used) code lines having the exact same formula as Chem Geek's. If I can say that sentence without getting in trouble.

15. Back To Top    #15

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by Leebo View Post
    Was very confusing how you handled this, simple explanation would have been great.
    Casey
    Intex 24' x 52" closed for winter 2018, 2 Main Drains, 1 Skimmer, 1 Return, PVC
    1/2 HP Intex Pump 633T w/ Taeglus TA-40 175 lb 19.5" Sand Filter, Auqabot Extreme Robot
    TF-50 and Taylor 2006 Test Kits, Quality Well Water, Fleck 5800SXT Water Softener

16. Back To Top    #16

I am poking my nose in here to let you know why Lee was not able to do the "post edited by Lee reason:" comment............He was out to lunch with his girls and just bouncing to and out. He ask the MODS if we were able to do it but.......I am guessing we were all also busy. Most of the time we do add the edit reason but sometimes it just does not happen. Thank you for understanding that we volunteers do this to help people enjoy their pools as much as we do and sometimes things happen.

Kim TFP MOD
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

17. Back To Top    #17

There is a very easy way to hide that code...and if we did it, it would knock out Pool Mathís visibility to about 80% of the people that visit that page.

At the end of the day TFPís mission is to make DIY pool care as accessible and freely available to every pool owner we can reach. So the PoolMath webpage is a free resource that TFP hosts without burdensome logins in order to further that mission. As such, we rely on the good faith of all users and subscribers to TFP to be respectful and follow the rules as well as exercise common sense regarding intellectual property and source code. If this forum has been of any value to you and if it has saved you money, then perhaps you can treat it with the respect and care that it deserves.

Iím sorry I did not see the original post so that I could have directed you to the actual source paper where the CSI is discussed (itís HERE in case youíre interested). However, you did post to The Deep End sub-forum (not heavily monitored) at 830pm on a Saturday night so a little patience would have been appreciated and would have avoided a lot of unnecessary posts.
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

18. Back To Top    #18

As Kim mentioned I was out to lunch with my family when I temporally hid this thread. My oldest two had competed in a "Destination Imagination" contest yesterday and the oldest won first while the middle won second. We're off to another contest in a few weeks for State. They're both just a tad excited and we wanted to celebrate some.

There are a few ways I "could" hide the source code for PoolMath however some of the most effective ways blocks users depending on their setup. I would prefer users respect our work and allow us to trust all to do the right thing. If tracking CSI is really important we've got the PoolMath App that can track for you no problem. Now I fully admit it's not where we want it but it's a work in progress. If you've got any assistance we would LOVE to hear your feedback.

Lee

19. Back To Top    #19

Search for Jesse's Graphical Pool Testing Log.
    13700 gal, 32'x16'x54" AG oval, vinyl, Echo Canyon II, 8500 series, Narrow Yard, Safety Fence & Stair, Sta-Rite Crystal Flow T-210WF, 44 GPM, Hayward SP1580TL 1HP Pump, Aqua Luminator, Festiva wedding cake steps, March 2006, TFT-100, Speed-Stir, Sample Sizer. Avatar Credit: TJ Townsend