Solution for swimming dogs and vinyl liners.

Sep 24, 2016
Indiana
I suppose this is probably somewhere on this site but I searched and didn’t find anything. Maybe the wrong key word?? I have a 10 month old German Shepherd pup that loves to swim. My concern is the vinyl liner and her nails. I tried different dog socks, and Paws (rubber sock like thing) there is no way I will be able to get those on her. I have been looking at ramps for dogs to help her get in without using the vinyl steps. Has anyone had issues with dog nails tearing the liner? . What solutions, any solutions, or ramps have people tried? There is no way I will be able to keep her out of the pool. I already have skimmer socks to keep the fur from getting into the pump. Last season she was small enough I could lift her in and out, not happening anymore!

I think at this point a good dog ramp and training to go back to that ramp each and every time may be your best bet. But that's exactly why we got a fiberglass pool for our big Jerry Lee Sheppard - just in case. He loves to swim, and his feet look like a polar bear in the water. Even with our pool, he now knows where to go to get out of the water each and every time. Knowing that, there should be no need for a dog to go to the side and scrape the vinyl out of panic.

Drimal tool with the sand paper barrel. It really works good to shorten the nail AND smooth and round them.

There is also this kind of ramp:

DIY Dog Ramp for Swimming Pool - YouTube

I love how the dog has learned he can just sit there! Might have to add some more noodles for a bigger dog.

Blues custom made small pool pet ramp - YouTube

DIY Dock Halifax Dogventures

Does any of this look like something you could do?

If you want to use the drimal took I can walk you through training your dog how to accept them. It took about a week for my Bullet did not care about it any more. OH and LOTS of peanut butter :roll:

Kim:kim:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.