Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Solution for swimming dogs and vinyl liners.

1. Back To Top    #1

Solution for swimming dogs and vinyl liners.

I suppose this is probably somewhere on this site but I searched and didnít find anything. Maybe the wrong key word?? I have a 10 month old German Shepherd pup that loves to swim. My concern is the vinyl liner and her nails. I tried different dog socks, and Paws (rubber sock like thing) there is no way I will be able to get those on her. I have been looking at ramps for dogs to help her get in without using the vinyl steps. Has anyone had issues with dog nails tearing the liner? . What solutions, any solutions, or ramps have people tried? There is no way I will be able to keep her out of the pool. I already have skimmer socks to keep the fur from getting into the pump. Last season she was small enough I could lift her in and out, not happening anymore!
    21x40 Legacy Mountain Lake about 17,000 gallons, Slate Gray Liner. Hayward S 200 Series Sand filter, Hayward Goldline Aquarite SWG T-Cell 15) , and Hayward Super Pump. Automated on a timer system! Dolphin M400 cleaner. Taylor K 2005 test kit and K-1766. Stamped concrete and pool house.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Solution for swimming dogs and vinyl liners.

I think at this point a good dog ramp and training to go back to that ramp each and every time may be your best bet. But that's exactly why we got a fiberglass pool for our big Jerry Lee Sheppard - just in case. He loves to swim, and his feet look like a polar bear in the water. Even with our pool, he now knows where to go to get out of the water each and every time. Knowing that, there should be no need for a dog to go to the side and scrape the vinyl out of panic.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Solution for swimming dogs and vinyl liners.

Drimal tool with the sand paper barrel. It really works good to shorten the nail AND smooth and round them.

There is also this kind of ramp:

DIY Dog Ramp for Swimming Pool - YouTube

I love how the dog has learned he can just sit there! Might have to add some more noodles for a bigger dog.

Blues custom made small pool pet ramp - YouTube

DIY Dock Halifax Dogventures

Does any of this look like something you could do?

If you want to use the drimal took I can walk you through training your dog how to accept them. It took about a week for my Bullet did not care about it any more. OH and LOTS of peanut butter

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit