Three position valve actuator?

ChadJ

Jan 28, 2016
Delray Beach, FL
Is there such thing as a valve actuator that can be set for three different positions with iAquaLink automation? I have a pool with a spa and waterfall into the pool. I want to be able to have three settings. One for isolated spa only. One for partial spa and pool split for the waterfall to flow. And one for isolated pool for when I want to heat the pool efficiently. My current actuators only can be set to two positions.

Thanks in advance!

-Chad

Chad,

Not really.... use the search box in the upper right of your screen and enter "Smart JVA"..

It appears to allow you to use your automation to adjust a valve to various positions with your remote .. Basically like going over to the valve and using the handle, but doing it with your remote instead.

It still does not allow three fixed positions.. such as Left, Right, and half Left and Right..

So far no one here has seen them in operation....

Thanks,

Jim R.

One for partial spa and pool split for the waterfall to flow.

Dodger, the waterfall is a spa spillover. Not independent feature.

Do you have the Spillover option listed in your Aqualink already? This is a Jandy macro that puts the Intake valve open to the Pool-only side, and the Return valve open to the Spa-only side. You don't get partial spa and pool return, but you can switch between spillover, spa only, and pool only through your automation.

Also, from my reading of the specs, the SmartJVA is for auxiliary water feature valves only. I didn't see how it can be wired (or assigned thru the OneTouch) to the standard Return or Intake actuators. If you pursue that and get it to work, please post about it.

Last edited:
Chad,

Your Spa spillover should only work when commanded.. It should not be on all the time. Your Return valve is either not positioned correctly or you have a "Make up" valve that you should close...

Without automation, unless you turned a valve no fresh water would flow to the Spa.. To fix this, either a make up valve was added that would force some water to the Spa even in the Pool mode... When the pool builder was too cheap to install a make up valve, he would just misadjust the return valve, so that some water would always go to the Spa...

Moving in the this century.. pools with Automation are often installed by the old time pool builders... forcing the Spa into continuous spillover..

With Automation in the Pool mode, or the Spa mode, you should have zero spill over. If you want the Spa to spillover, you select the Spillover mode... This way you only have spillover when you want. And to keep the Spa water fresh, you can just schedule the Spillover mode to turn on a couple of times a day for half an hour or so.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Success! Found that dip switch 3 was down. Put it up and spillover option apppeared. Adjusted the cam in the return JVA and had to reverse the plugs because they were backward (intake vs return.) It’s perfect now! Thank you!!!

-Chad

Awesome. Sounds like you inherited the same setup I did. Just fixed it last Fall.

Just make sure you didn't have another item plugged into the Aux3 position on the RS control board, which is now owned by that Spillover macro. I had to move my air blower plug from Aux 3 to an unused Aux position and then assign the new Aux label via the iAqualink.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.