Family vacation recommendation - Grand Canyon or Yellowstone?

MasterTinkerer

Gold Supporter
Nov 28, 2016
Helena, AL
Looking to do something different for our family vacation this year. The past several years have been a trip to the Gulf and deep water fishing. This year, I'd like to go West.

Incredibly, I've been to many European countries... but have traveled very little West of the Mississippi.

So - what would everyone recommend? The kids (13 year old son and 11 year old daughter) have narrowed the choices down to Yellowstone or the Grand Canyon. I don't like to do big tourist trap things... prefer being out in nature.

Timing will be in June.

Any suggestions for non-crowded places to stay or things that are a must do? Which of the two spots should we choose?

B,

Unless you hike down to the bottom of the Grand Canyon, I would go with Yellowstone, much more to see.

I suspect Yellowstone will be much more crowded though.. I'd go during the week and not on the weekends.

I would also suspect that most of the places to stay, that are close by, are already booked for June... :(

BTW... Hiking down is not the problem.. :p

Thanks,

Jim R.

I’m biased - Grand Canyon. You can stay in Flagstaff for cheap enough and drive to the GC. Tours are available as well. You could hike down to the bottom BUT it’s not a day trip. Hiking down can take anywhere from 4-6 hours....hiking back up is a different story. There are 4x4 trails that allow access to the bottom but there are restrictions. Helicopter tours are fun but expensive.

I absolutely LOVE Flagstaff and would love to own a cabin up there. Northern Arizona is beautiful all year round. If you do intend to do some exploring, I suggest you go to the Lowell Observatory as there is some very neat astronomical history there. Sedona isn’t too far away and there’s lots of neat things to do there as well.

Come to Arizona and I’ll bet you’ll have a great time....

With Yellowstone you can visit devil's tower, that big Indian statue, Mt Rushmore, the Confederate carving one, and a few more if you like a driving trip.

I took one like this as a kid, my mom, my three brothers, mom's boyfriend, and his two sons, all in a station wagon. Was a blast

Just booked flights to Phoenix... Grand Canyon it is!!

Now - to find lodging (probably a cabin near Flagstaff), car rental (would like to rent a 4-door Jeep), and activities for the family. Thinking about doing a guided tour type thing for a day into the canyon.

Any other recommendations?

Just booked flights to Phoenix... Grand Canyon it is!!

Now - to find lodging (probably a cabin near Flagstaff), car rental (would like to rent a 4-door Jeep), and activities for the family. Thinking about doing a guided tour type thing for a day into the canyon.

Any other recommendations?

Yes go on Groupon for the Phoenix area, there are some good deals on day long excursions to Sedona, Grand Canyon, ghost towns, etc. It’s a great way to see a lot of different places in one day. They also have discounts on the trolley in flagstaff.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.