Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Family vacation recommendation - Grand Canyon or Yellowstone?

1. Back To Top    #1

Family vacation recommendation - Grand Canyon or Yellowstone?

Looking to do something different for our family vacation this year. The past several years have been a trip to the Gulf and deep water fishing. This year, I'd like to go West.

Incredibly, I've been to many European countries... but have traveled very little West of the Mississippi.

So - what would everyone recommend? The kids (13 year old son and 11 year old daughter) have narrowed the choices down to Yellowstone or the Grand Canyon. I don't like to do big tourist trap things... prefer being out in nature.

Timing will be in June.

Any suggestions for non-crowded places to stay or things that are a must do? Which of the two spots should we choose?
    30k IG vinyl w steps , Pentair SuperFlo 342001 pump, StaRite Cristal-Flo sand filter T-240-BP1
    Hayward Goldline AQR15 SWG, Dolphin Premium (aka S300i) Robot
    Borates & TF100 test kit
    200 gal hot tub (that I completely rebuilt)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Family vacation recommendation - Grand Canyon or Yellowstone?

B,

Unless you hike down to the bottom of the Grand Canyon, I would go with Yellowstone, much more to see.

I suspect Yellowstone will be much more crowded though.. I'd go during the week and not on the weekends.

I would also suspect that most of the places to stay, that are close by, are already booked for June...

BTW... Hiking down is not the problem..

Thanks,

Jim R.
    Finished in 2015 - 17K Gal, IG, 20' x 25' Almost Rectangular Pool, Pebble finish, three rockport water falls. Pentair Equipment: EasyTouch 4, IC40 SWG, 3 HP VS Pump, CCP520 Cartridge Filter.
    TF100 with SpeedStir and SampleSizer, ColorQ Pro 7, Dolphin Premier Robot Cleaner, added Screen Logic 2, added small 3 person Caldera Spa.

3. Back To Top    #3

Grand Canyon BUT you have to go to the bottom!! Also budget time to walk to the hanging bridge.

Yellowstone next year!!!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

I've been to both once and both are incredible. If I went back, and had to make a choice between one or the other, it would be the Grand Canyon. No contest.
    Just WOW. It's mind boggling.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

5. Back To Top    #5

Iím biased - Grand Canyon. You can stay in Flagstaff for cheap enough and drive to the GC. Tours are available as well. You could hike down to the bottom BUT itís not a day trip. Hiking down can take anywhere from 4-6 hours....hiking back up is a different story. There are 4x4 trails that allow access to the bottom but there are restrictions. Helicopter tours are fun but expensive.

I absolutely LOVE Flagstaff and would love to own a cabin up there. Northern Arizona is beautiful all year round. If you do intend to do some exploring, I suggest you go to the Lowell Observatory as there is some very neat astronomical history there. Sedona isnít too far away and thereís lots of neat things to do there as well.

Come to Arizona and Iíll bet youíll have a great time....
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

With Yellowstone you can visit devil's tower, that big Indian statue, Mt Rushmore, the Confederate carving one, and a few more if you like a driving trip.

I took one like this as a kid, my mom, my three brothers, mom's boyfriend, and his two sons, all in a station wagon. Was a blast
    Casey
    Intex 24' x 52" closed for winter 2018, 2 Main Drains, 1 Skimmer, 1 Return, PVC
    1/2 HP Intex Pump 633T w/ Taeglus TA-40 175 lb 19.5" Sand Filter, Auqabot Extreme Robot
    TF-50 and Taylor 2006 Test Kits, Quality Well Water, Fleck 5800SXT Water Softener

7. Back To Top    #7

Just booked flights to Phoenix... Grand Canyon it is!!

Now - to find lodging (probably a cabin near Flagstaff), car rental (would like to rent a 4-door Jeep), and activities for the family. Thinking about doing a guided tour type thing for a day into the canyon.

Any other recommendations?
    30k IG vinyl w steps , Pentair SuperFlo 342001 pump, StaRite Cristal-Flo sand filter T-240-BP1
    Borates & TF100 test kit

8. Back To Top    #8

Sedona is beautiful...expensive, but beautiful.
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

9. Back To Top    #9

Yellowstone.
    26K gal, in-ground, spa, Wet Edge Satin pebble, Pentair Intelliflo VS-3050, Whisperflo 1.5HP, Clean and Clear Plus 520, MasterTemp 400, EasyTouch PS-4 and ScreenLogic 2, GloBrite LEDs, DeltaUV D-20, Paramount Clear O3 and PV3, completed July 2014, TF-100, full sun, city water

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by MasterTinkerer View Post
    Just booked flights to Phoenix... Grand Canyon it is!!

Now - to find lodging (probably a cabin near Flagstaff), car rental (would like to rent a 4-door Jeep), and activities for the family. Thinking about doing a guided tour type thing for a day into the canyon.

Any other recommendations?
    Yes go on Groupon for the Phoenix area, there are some good deals on day long excursions to Sedona, Grand Canyon, ghost towns, etc. It’s a great way to see a lot of different places in one day. They also have discounts on the trolley in flagstaff.
    ~Rob
    11,000 gallon in ground plaster pebbletech finish. Hayward Tristar VS, Hayward Swimclear, and Hayward Aquanaut 200 pool vac, K-2006 Kit, Speedstir.
    FC/CYA Chart-Finding a suction side air leak>https://youtu.be/eweIDTnJCUw

11. Back To Top    #11

To close this one off... we got back from Arizona last Saturday. We spent time at the Grand Canyon and in Sedona... liked Sedona better - just more to do around the area. All-in-all it was a fun experience!
    Borates & TF100 test kit

12. Back To Top    #12

Pictures...or it didn’t happen!!
    Matt