Purchasing a new filter

If you're going to change over from sand to cartridge, the major brands like Hayward and Pentair are all very popular, reliable, and have good warranty departments if you have a problem. What you might want to look at is your current plumbing size to see if the PVC is a good fit or if there will be any changes required for the new & old stuff to mate.

As for the size, while there are many that say will work, and probably will, we often recommend going with a much larger filter simply to reduce the amount of times required to rinse the cartridges per year. For example, in the Hayward line you'd probably want to look at a multi-cartridge filter, something along the 325 or 425 series sizes. Pentair offers comparable 320 & 420 series models. Each company even has a larger model. Like I said though, smaller ones will work, but require more frequent cleaning. When my pool was installed, it came with a single cartridge Hayward filter. It works fine, but I have to rinse it off about every 3-4 weeks during the swim season. I'll probably upgrade once this one is done.

Hope that helps.

Thank you, I am considering the Haywood 240 or 325. I know the 240 is technically big enough but I was thinking I should get the 325 to be more efficient.

- - - Updated - - -

If your able to pop the top of your sand filter, deep clean it with a garden hose, and top it u with #20 sand it will save you a big nch of money.

Thank you and I did consider this, I even considered putting zero bright in the sand filter but it had a small leak. We popped the top off and found some of the gasket had worn down in places and when we put it back on, it leaked even more.

Heather,

If you have to backwash almost everyday something is wrong.. If you have been fighting algae and have been using Floc or Clarifier, it can cause your filter to plug up..

Algae is a chemical issue, and not a filter issue, so if you have been fighting algae, replacing your filter will not solve the source of the problem.

What color is your water?

Thanks,

Jim R.

Heather,

If you have to backwash almost everyday something is wrong.. If you have been fighting algae and have been using Floc or Clarifier, it can cause your filter to plug up..

Algae is a chemical issue, and not a filter issue, so if you have been fighting algae, replacing your filter will not solve the source of the problem.

What color is your water?

Thanks,

Jim R.

My water now is blueish but it turns green quickly if we don't add chlorine every couple of days. When bought the house a year ago the yard and the pool were not maintained. The sand is mostly gone and needs to be replaced. However, it is an old 2006 filter that leaks. That's the main reason for the change. What should my husband do to clean the pvc pipes before he installs the new filter to help with the algae problem?

Heather,

There is nothing wrong with installing a new filter, what I was pointing out is that if you have algae, the new filter will stop up just as fast as your old one.

When you have a pool that "turns green" quickly that means you have algae.. When it turns "blueish" that means that you have been able to kill the algae you can see, but there is still plenty of algae you can't see... Since you are not killing it all, then it will just keep coming back..

The way to eliminate algae is to perform what we call a SLAM... See this link.. SLAM Process Notice that the SLAM process is not a one-and-done thing.. You have to Maintain the "Shock FC level" until all the algae is dead and you pass the three SLAM requirements.

Not sure how you are currently testing your pool water, but to perform a SLAM you need to be able to measure your own pool water and you need an accurate test kit that can measure the FC (Chlorine) level up to 30 or 40 ppm, which simple kits just cannot do..

I suggest either the TF-100 test kit, or the Taylor K-2006C test kit.. And yes, the "C" is important as it has more reagents...

If you are not familiar with the TFP process of maintaining a pool, I would suggest you read through our Pool School.... See this... Pool School - Pool School

Thanks for posting and good luck with your filter upgrade.

Jim R.

Dead algae gets caught in the filter, seems like you are continuingly fighting algae and making lots of dead algae.

Might be a good idea depending on cost of sand and a gasket, and anything else your filter needs (if it's not too far gone) to take total control of the pool as Jim is talking about, fix the pool chemistry, and then decide on the filter change after that. (If current filter can be limped along without much money)

Slamming the pool should take of the pipes, if not awesome (chemical) can clean out biofilm in the pipes.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hi Jim,

Even after the slam process, I have a hard time keeping my pool blue. I have maintained the 16ppm for several days until it is blue. It always goes back to green if I only put in 2.5 gallons once a week and have 2 tablets floating in the pool. I try to maintain the chlorine at 7ppm and it still goes green. I have the TF-100 test kit and I have read pool school and thank you for it because I am so much more knowledgeable than I was a year ago!

I am hoping that a new filter will require less chlorine to keep it blue. I think the problem is the leaking and replacing water keeps unbalancing the pool. Also the old or missing sand is a problem. Once I install the new filter should I slam it again? Or just maintain the right levels?

Thank you,
Heather
!

Heather,

It will not hurt to replace the filter and then get rid of your algae... You will just have to be prepared to clean the cartridge quite often...

It is your pool and you can do it however you want.. Just keep in mind that a new filter will not fix the problem...

Thanks for posting and glad to see you are using a good test kit.

Once you get the new filter installed, if you need any help getting the SLAM done, just give us a ring...

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.