Pool Equipment Update and Automation Advice needed

Jul 14, 2010
Paramus, NJ
I'm new to the forum and need advice. I just bought a home with a 35yr old inground pool. 30k gallons. Last summer I redid the coping, tile, plaster.
This year I need to take on updating the equipment. Here's what I need help with:
  • Hayward DE filter (still serviceable so I think I'll leave it alone for now
  • Hayword Heater - very old and needs replacement
  • Hayward Superpump 1HP - underpowered and leaking. must replace
  • Older valves. seem to open and close ok
  • Outdated timers need to be replaced
  • Booster pump, making funny noises. Only need it to power a small fountain
  • No chlorine generator. Thinking about SWG.

I'd also like to add automation so I can control this functionality remotely from my phone. I'd like to stick with Hayward if that makes sense.
Any advice would be helpful. Thanks in advance.

i,

Welcome to TFP.. a great place to find the answers to all your automation upgrade questions..

The number one rule in pool automation is that the Automation system, any Variable Speed pump, and any Salt system all need to be the same brand. All Hayward, or all Pentair, or all Jandy..

These three items need to be able to communicate with each other and the best way to do that is to use the same brand of equipment.

Almost any brand of filters and heaters will work with any brand of automation. Our favorite brand of heater, hands-down, is RayPak..

I am a very biased Saltwater pool owner... I will never have another pool that is not a saltwater pool. Very easy to maintain..

I suggest that you get a VS pump, or at a minimum, a 2-speed pump.. To generate the amount of chlorine you will need in a 30K pool will require a lot of pump run time. Slow speed will save you on the electricity..

Staying with Hayward may be an issue if you go with a SWCG.. We recommend that your salt cell be at least 2 x the volume of your pool... I'm not sure if Hayward has a 60K salt cell?? As you are in NJ, a smaller cell may work as you have somewhat milder summers than down here in the South..

Thanks for posting and good luck with your upgrade..

Jim R.

Thanks for the reply Jim.
Yes in NJ we do have milder summers. I was looking at the Hayward AQR940 which is 40k gallons. Do you have a different recommendation?

I will look into the RayPack heater. Does the heater brand make a difference when it comes to automation?

I am looking to stay on a budget and maximize my automation.

- - - Updated - - -

One more question. How many BTUs do you recommend for the heater.

i,

A 40K cell in your 30K pool will increase your Chlorine level by about .233 ppm per hour. Most pools use 2 to 4 ppm of FC per day, so let's assume your pool will use 2.5 ppm per day.

That means you will have to run your cell (and pump) for 11 hours per day and your cell's output will need to be set at 100%... If your pool uses more than 2.5 per day you will have to increase your pump run time, as the cell is already maxed out..

The 40K cell will work as long as you understand how it works, and how long you need to run it... Unfortunately, this info is often not passed down the to pool owner and then when the pool turns green, they blames the cell for being bad, which of course is not at all the case..

I do not have a heater, so I can't be of much help there. But bigger is always better as it will take less time to heat up the same pool.. The one downside to keep in mind is that some of the bigger heaters require larger than standard gas pressure from the gas provider.. Depending on the provider the upgrade in equipment can be expensive..

Thanks,

Jim R.

- - - Updated - - -

Heater brand makes no difference to the automation system..

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.