New Geometric IG Pool in DFW

LeighHop

Bronze Supporter
Feb 26, 2018
The Colony, TX
Hey Guys!

Well, I'm too excited not to get my build thread started even though we are currently awaiting building permits. (Which I'm told are going to take 4-5 weeks to obtain... ugh!)

We're putting in a 40 x 15 IG pool with spa in a new construction community. We closed on the house a couple of weeks ago and will be moving down to Texas from Chicago next weekend. While we've done a lot of home remodels, we've never put in a pool so this is all new to me. Can't tell you how much I've enjoyed digging into the archives here and following along on other builds.

Our lot is not big, but we back up to a neighborhood trail so the yard feels a bit more expansive. I love the openness now, but I may change my mind depending on how chatty the neighbors on the trail turn out to be! Our pool deck will be broom finish concrete scored in 2 x 2 squares. My dream was to have turf ribbons laid between floating concrete squares, but alas that just wasn't in the budget. I like a clean, modern look.

hopkins 2_001.jpghopkins 2_002.jpghopkins 2_004.jpgIMG_0410.jpg

Here are the details as I know them:

Ocean Blue PebbleSheen with limestone coping
Jandy energy efficient variable speed pump
Jandy salt system (I'm a little nervous about this reading reviews online)
Jandy JXI 400,000 BTU heater
iAgualink kit
2 skimmers, 5 returns, 2 drains
Bubblers and deck jets

Thanks for your input and advice as we go through this process!

Hey there LeighHop :) we're really glad you found TFP as you're starting out on your pool build.

I am not aware of any particular problems with Jandy's SWG. It is a good brand and good to have all the equipment in the same product line. In some instances that increases the warranty period which is good. Also best for automation.

Your pool design looks great. Room to swim and lounge. Do you know the depths yet?

Maddie :flower:

Leigh,

Welcome to TFP.. a great place to find the answers to all your New Geometric Pool questions... :shark:

Jandy makes several different models of "Salt Systems".... If they include the word "Soft" or "Fusion" I would not recommend them.. Many of these systems include mineral cartridges that you really do not want. Jandy does make some good salt systems, so you need to nail down the exact name and model number of what your Pool Builder is selling you.

The size of a salt system is also very important. We always recommend that the cell be rated for at least 2 x the volume of your pool. So a 20K pool requires a 40K cell as a minimum.

Your pool design looks great... Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

I have Jandy equipment for 2 years now and have had no problems. Definitely get you salt cell oversized. Mine is and I only have to run it at 15% during the summer.

Oh, and welcome to Texas! Our winters are much nicer than Chicago’s. :)

Will you be able to put a different fence in the back, so people on the trail can’t look into your yard?

How far away is the trail? We have a similar situation with a golf course a few yards away so we constructed a long planter. It provides much more privacy than you might think without obstructing our view or making our yard feel closed in. While we are in the pool, we can't see any people or houses.

Your design looks great, I wish we did a spa like yours! IMG_2572.jpg

Welcome to TFP! I too am building in a new construction community and putting a pool in as soon as we close. We are on target for a May closing. We have a small yard, but we back up to other houses in a cul de sac. I like your fence design. I want to see the pond behind us so I was thinking black aluminum fencing, but don’t want to see my neighbors next door. I think I will play around with your fence idea and see if our HOA will approve.
Looking forward to watching your build. Our permits are in progress now so we can start digging as soon as we close.

Wow everyone, thanks so much for the comments and suggestions. Sorry to be slow on the response, we are moving this Friday and while I’m excited things are a little nutty around here!

@YippeeSkippy: For the depth, we are going with 3.5 - 5.0 - 4.0

@Jimrahbe: Thanks so much for the info on the salt systems. I will go over this with my PB.

@textommyboy: Thanks for the welcome. Just looked through your build, what a beauty! I’m a sucker for clean lines. How are you liking your tanning ledge loungers?

@Marlahoutex: Thanks for the welcome! The Texas winters I’m down for, not so much the summers! We actually like that the back of the yard is open with the metal fence. (HOA won’t allow a change.) We may just need to find the right balance of open and private with some well placed landscaping.

@CaptainCannonball: I LOVE your pool and what you did to give yourselves a bit of privacy. I’m going to keep this one saved for the future. The trail is about 10 feet from the back of our fence.

@ JodieM: Looking forward to following your build!

@Kimkats: Thanks! I look forward to the day when you will bestow me with my very own set of links!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
[FONT=&]Wow everyone, thanks so much for the comments and suggestions. Sorry to be slow on the response, we are moving this Friday and while I’m excited things are a little nutty around here![/FONT]
[FONT=&]@textommyboy: Thanks for the welcome. Just looked through your build, what a beauty! I’m a sucker for clean lines. How are you liking your tanning ledge loungers?
[/FONT]

Our friends and guests enjoy the ledge loungers more than we do. They're just a little too long for us (I'm 5'7" and my gf's about 5'). We got some waterproof pillows that stay on with velcro straps and they help. We actually prefer a set of much cheaper floating loungers we purchased from Walmart.com.

Good luck with the move!

Hey guys!

I’m back, all moved in and as of Thursday we are officially in build mode!

I thought HOA approval was going to be the nightmare, but we had to wait very impatiently for four weeks before getting our permit from the city. Our area is growing fast and the city is having a hard time keeping up. While we were waiting, two neighbors started their builds and we were having some serious pool envy.

Anyway, Thursday the guys came and killed it digging the hole. It was amazing how much they got done in a day.

Friday we had our rough in on the plumbing. Monday we are scheduled for steel.

@YippeeSkiippy - Following your post, I asked our PB about a cooler for the pool. He suggested we see how we use the pool and then we can always add one. Thanks for the suggestion!

I’m going to try attach a photo, but need to brush upon my attachment knowledge.

KrHPduP.jpg

Last edited:
Well, we got steel Monday and today is inspection day. City inspection was green, but I’ve been twiddling my thumbs all day waiting for word on the HOA inspection. We need them to sign off before we can move to gunite. We have a chance of rain Friday, so hoping to get it in before then.

In the meantime... Anyone have any thoughts on tile? I know it’s not sexy, but for our pool I’d prefer if the tile sort of just disappears into the water. We are going with Ocean Blue Pebblesheen, so the water will be on the dark side. We will have white limestone coping and a natural colored concrete deck. I’m thinking a 6x6 without much color variation.

This was one of my inspiration pools:
https://www.houzz.com/photo/1497497-zen-pool-and-garden-modern-pool-atlanta

You would think you would need them to sign off before the hole was dug! Here is hoping it happens fast!

Tile-take your plaster sample down to the tile store and start your search there. Take us along for the ride with pics and we will help you pick the purrfect one!

Kim:kim:

We ended up getting signed off by the city and the HOA last Tuesday. (The HOA approves the plans before you apply for the permit and then does two site visits during the build.) We were hoping to get gunite last week, but scheduling and some windy days didn't allow that to happen.

But yesterday was like Christmas and we now have our very own cement pond! I started watering this morning. I followed our PB's directions and focused first on the beam to let the water really soak in and then used the sprayer on the rest. Curious to know how long it should stay dark gray from the water? Although I felt I was really letting the water soak in, by the time I was done, the first section was already back to a light gray.

T45ADtW.jpg

lazzQzz.jpg

bCTal4x.jpg

A3SKXUs.jpg

sbB4XHh.jpg

I aslo went out and picked my finishes. We are doing PebbleSheen Ocean Blue with lueders limestone coping. For the tile, I wanted something understated so I'm going with NPT's Catania Blue. I think the matte finish is really going to go well with the whole vibe we're after.

dV2cViN.jpg

Welcome to Texas! Love your pool! I love the clean lines and wish we would have done a level spa instead of raised.

If you decide on adding landscaping for privacy along the fence, I suggest Tree Land nursery about 30 minutes north in Gunter. They have the best prices on large really good screening shrubs and trees, and they deliver, plant, and guarantee. I wish I had know about them before we did our landscaping! :)

Hi [emoji1309] I really love your geometric design and waterline tile. We are also going with geometric and understated. As for watering, we were directed to water twice a day for 20 mins at a time for two weeks. I found the first several days I was watering for 20-30 mins to feel like it was getting a good soak. After those initial several days, it seemed less thirsty and 10 mins was enough. Do you feel any heat coming from it?

@sham - Thanks for the compliments and the awesome nursery recommendation. I made a note of it and will definitely go out there.

@riley00dog - Thanks! I have this fear that I'm not doing enough but your words have reassured me about the watering. I haven't noticed any heat coming from the gunite.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.