Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: New Geometric IG Pool in DFW

1. Back To Top    #1

New Geometric IG Pool in DFW

Hey Guys!

Well, I'm too excited not to get my build thread started even though we are currently awaiting building permits. (Which I'm told are going to take 4-5 weeks to obtain... ugh!)

We're putting in a 40 x 15 IG pool with spa in a new construction community. We closed on the house a couple of weeks ago and will be moving down to Texas from Chicago next weekend. While we've done a lot of home remodels, we've never put in a pool so this is all new to me. Can't tell you how much I've enjoyed digging into the archives here and following along on other builds.

Our lot is not big, but we back up to a neighborhood trail so the yard feels a bit more expansive. I love the openness now, but I may change my mind depending on how chatty the neighbors on the trail turn out to be! Our pool deck will be broom finish concrete scored in 2 x 2 squares. My dream was to have turf ribbons laid between floating concrete squares, but alas that just wasn't in the budget. I like a clean, modern look.

hopkins 2_001.jpghopkins 2_002.jpghopkins 2_004.jpgIMG_0410.jpg

Here are the details as I know them:

Ocean Blue PebbleSheen with limestone coping
    Jandy energy efficient variable speed pump
    Jandy salt system (I'm a little nervous about this reading reviews online)
    Jandy JXI 400,000 BTU heater
    iAgualink kit
    2 skimmers, 5 returns, 2 drains
    Bubblers and deck jets

Thanks for your input and advice as we go through this process!
    40x15 IG 15,000 gallons /TF100 Test Kit / Ocean Blue PebbleSheen / Jandy CV460 Filter/ Jandy PLC1400 Salt System / Jandy VSSHP270AUT VSP / Jandy JXI400N heater / Jandy PSB215 Pool and Spa Blower / iAqualink / Polaris 280 / New Geometric IG Pool in DFW

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New Geometric IG Pool in DFW

Hey there LeighHop we're really glad you found TFP as you're starting out on your pool build.

I am not aware of any particular problems with Jandy's SWG. It is a good brand and good to have all the equipment in the same product line. In some instances that increases the warranty period which is good. Also best for automation.

Your pool design looks great. Room to swim and lounge. Do you know the depths yet?

Maddie
    Maddie :) 12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Skippy's Pool Cooler --> Skippy's New Fountain Our Build --> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard

3. Back To Top    #3

Leigh,

Welcome to TFP.. a great place to find the answers to all your New Geometric Pool questions...

Jandy makes several different models of "Salt Systems".... If they include the word "Soft" or "Fusion" I would not recommend them.. Many of these systems include mineral cartridges that you really do not want. Jandy does make some good salt systems, so you need to nail down the exact name and model number of what your Pool Builder is selling you.

The size of a salt system is also very important. We always recommend that the cell be rated for at least 2 x the volume of your pool. So a 20K pool requires a 40K cell as a minimum.

Your pool design looks great... Thanks for posting,

Jim R.
    Finished in 2015 - 17K Gal, IG, 20' x 25' Almost Rectangular Pool, Pebble finish, three rockport water falls. Pentair Equipment: EasyTouch 4, IC40 SWG, 3 HP VS Pump, CCP520 Cartridge Filter.
    TF100 with SpeedStir and SampleSizer, ColorQ Pro 7, Dolphin Premier Robot Cleaner, added Screen Logic 2, added small 3 person Caldera Spa.

4. Back To Top    #4

Congrats on your new pool build! I can't provide any feedback regarding the Jandy but your pool design is very similar to ours. The main difference is we don't have a spa and we added corner steps/benches at the far end. Good luck with your build!
    1st Pool Build - Freeport, TX 15'x35' rectangular gunite pool 3.5'-5'-4', WetEdge Prism Matrix "Deep Sea Blue", cement cantilever coping, 560sf concrete deck w/Tweed Gray Sundek, Jandy VS-2hp pump, Jandy 460 cartridge filter, Rainbow Chlorinator, Polaris 9350 robotic cleaner.

5. Back To Top    #5

I have Jandy equipment for 2 years now and have had no problems. Definitely get you salt cell oversized. Mine is and I only have to run it at 15% during the summer.

Oh, and welcome to Texas! Our winters are much nicer than Chicagoís.

Will you be able to put a different fence in the back, so people on the trail canít look into your yard?
    Marla
    No longer living vicariously through other people's pool builds. Pool build is complete on my IG SWCG pool, approx 10,000 gallons. All Jandy equipment - VS 1.5 hp pump, 580 cartridge filter, AquaPure 1400 salt cell, AquaLink PDA system. Dolphin m500. PebbleSheen Blue Surf with shells and beads added. TF-100 w/ SpeedStir. A Houston Pool Build Inside the Loop

6. Back To Top    #6

How far away is the trail? We have a similar situation with a golf course a few yards away so we constructed a long planter. It provides much more privacy than you might think without obstructing our view or making our yard feel closed in. While we are in the pool, we can't see any people or houses.

Your design looks great, I wish we did a spa like yours! IMG_2572.jpg
    Build Video 2016 -- Solar Pad 20.5K gunite (37'x15') rectangle (3.5'-7') deep-- MicroFusion Laguna finish -- Jandy VS pump, cartridge and iAqualink RS -- Polaris 360 Black -- 2 Laminar jets -- 2 nichless 30w color led -- 550sq/ft Heliocol solar -- Soft water auto fill -- Stenner 17gpd

7. Back To Top    #7

Welcome to TFP! I too am building in a new construction community and putting a pool in as soon as we close. We are on target for a May closing. We have a small yard, but we back up to other houses in a cul de sac. I like your fence design. I want to see the pond behind us so I was thinking black aluminum fencing, but donít want to see my neighbors next door. I think I will play around with your fence idea and see if our HOA will approve.
    Looking forward to watching your build. Our permits are in progress now so we can start digging as soon as we close.

Pool Built June 2018,
    16x32, 20K, IG vinyl,
    2 speed Jandy Pro Plus Pump, Jandy JS Sand Filter, Jandy Tru-Clear SWG,
    JANDY JXI POOL HEATER/260K BTU, Polaris 280 + Booster, TF 100 Test Kit

8. Back To Top    #8

HI!! You will be SO glad you found us now! We will make sure you get what you need and help you get what you want!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

9. Back To Top    #9

Wow everyone, thanks so much for the comments and suggestions. Sorry to be slow on the response, we are moving this Friday and while Iím excited things are a little nutty around here!

@YippeeSkippy: For the depth, we are going with 3.5 - 5.0 - 4.0

@Jimrahbe: Thanks so much for the info on the salt systems. I will go over this with my PB.

@textommyboy: Thanks for the welcome. Just looked through your build, what a beauty! Iím a sucker for clean lines. How are you liking your tanning ledge loungers?

@Marlahoutex: Thanks for the welcome! The Texas winters Iím down for, not so much the summers! We actually like that the back of the yard is open with the metal fence. (HOA wonít allow a change.) We may just need to find the right balance of open and private with some well placed landscaping.

@CaptainCannonball: I LOVE your pool and what you did to give yourselves a bit of privacy. Iím going to keep this one saved for the future. The trail is about 10 feet from the back of our fence.

@ JodieM: Looking forward to following your build!

@Kimkats: Thanks! I look forward to the day when you will bestow me with my very own set of links!
    40x15 IG 15,000 gallons /TF100 Test Kit / Ocean Blue PebbleSheen / Jandy CV460 Filter/ Jandy PLC1400 Salt System / Jandy VSSHP270AUT VSP / Jandy JXI400N heater / Jandy PSB215 Pool and Spa Blower / iAqualink / Polaris 280 / New Geometric IG Pool in DFW

10. Back To Top    #10

Ahhhhh you have been reading!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by LeighHop View Post
    Wow everyone, thanks so much for the comments and suggestions. Sorry to be slow on the response, we are moving this Friday and while I’m excited things are a little nutty around here!
    @textommyboy: Thanks for the welcome. Just looked through your build, what a beauty! I’m a sucker for clean lines. How are you liking your tanning ledge loungers?
    Our friends and guests enjoy the ledge loungers more than we do. They're just a little too long for us (I'm 5'7" and my gf's about 5'). We got some waterproof pillows that stay on with velcro straps and they help. We actually prefer a set of much cheaper floating loungers we purchased from Walmart.com.

Good luck with the move!
    1st Pool Build - Freeport, TX 15'x35' rectangular gunite pool 3.5'-5'-4', WetEdge Prism Matrix "Deep Sea Blue", cement cantilever coping, 560sf concrete deck w/Tweed Gray Sundek, Jandy VS-2hp pump, Jandy 460 cartridge filter, Rainbow Chlorinator, Polaris 9350 robotic cleaner.

12. Back To Top    #12

@YippeeSkippy: For the depth, we are going with 3.5 - 5.0 - 4.0
    That's a pretty shallow pool... it might feel a bit swampy warm in the hottest part of the summer. Have you planned on a chiller or anything? Some heat pumps work backwards to chill pools too.

Maddie
    Maddie :) 12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Skippy's Pool Cooler --> Skippy's New Fountain Our Build --> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard

13. Back To Top    #13

Hey guys!

I’m back, all moved in and as of Thursday we are officially in build mode!

I thought HOA approval was going to be the nightmare, but we had to wait very impatiently for four weeks before getting our permit from the city. Our area is growing fast and the city is having a hard time keeping up. While we were waiting, two neighbors started their builds and we were having some serious pool envy.

Anyway, Thursday the guys came and killed it digging the hole. It was amazing how much they got done in a day.

Friday we had our rough in on the plumbing. Monday we are scheduled for steel.

@YippeeSkiippy - Following your post, I asked our PB about a cooler for the pool. He suggested we see how we use the pool and then we can always add one. Thanks for the suggestion!

I’m going to try attach a photo, but need to brush upon my attachment knowledge.

Last edited by LeighHop; 04-07-2018 at 01:18 PM. Reason: Attemp at pic upload

14. Back To Top    #14

Well, we got steel Monday and today is inspection day. City inspection was green, but Iíve been twiddling my thumbs all day waiting for word on the HOA inspection. We need them to sign off before we can move to gunite. We have a chance of rain Friday, so hoping to get it in before then.

In the meantime... Anyone have any thoughts on tile? I know itís not sexy, but for our pool Iíd prefer if the tile sort of just disappears into the water. We are going with Ocean Blue Pebblesheen, so the water will be on the dark side. We will have white limestone coping and a natural colored concrete deck. Iím thinking a 6x6 without much color variation.

This was one of my inspiration pools:
    https://www.houzz.com/photo/1497497-...n-pool-atlanta

15. Back To Top    #15

You would think you would need them to sign off before the hole was dug! Here is hoping it happens fast!

Tile-take your plaster sample down to the tile store and start your search there. Take us along for the ride with pics and we will help you pick the purrfect one!

Kim

16. Back To Top    #16

We ended up getting signed off by the city and the HOA last Tuesday. (The HOA approves the plans before you apply for the permit and then does two site visits during the build.) We were hoping to get gunite last week, but scheduling and some windy days didn't allow that to happen.

But yesterday was like Christmas and we now have our very own cement pond! I started watering this morning. I followed our PB's directions and focused first on the beam to let the water really soak in and then used the sprayer on the rest. Curious to know how long it should stay dark gray from the water? Although I felt I was really letting the water soak in, by the time I was done, the first section was already back to a light gray.

I aslo went out and picked my finishes. We are doing PebbleSheen Ocean Blue with lueders limestone coping. For the tile, I wanted something understated so I'm going with NPT's Catania Blue. I think the matte finish is really going to go well with the whole vibe we're after.

17. Back To Top    #17

Welcome to Texas! Love your pool! I love the clean lines and wish we would have done a level spa instead of raised.

If you decide on adding landscaping for privacy along the fence, I suggest Tree Land nursery about 30 minutes north in Gunter. They have the best prices on large really good screening shrubs and trees, and they deliver, plant, and guarantee. I wish I had know about them before we did our landscaping!
    17K gallon, 18x40, 107 perimeter, 550 sq ft gunite inground pool with raised spa. 3.5 ft. - 5.0 ft. - 4.0 ft depth. Pentair equipment. DE filter. English Walnut travertine paver decking, lueders limestone coping. Wet Edge Primera Stone Sapphire Treasure plaster.

18. Back To Top    #18

Hi I really love your geometric design and waterline tile. We are also going with geometric and understated. As for watering, we were directed to water twice a day for 20 mins at a time for two weeks. I found the first several days I was watering for 20-30 mins to feel like it was getting a good soak. After those initial several days, it seemed less thirsty and 10 mins was enough. Do you feel any heat coming from it?

3.2 x 6m | inground concrete | ~27,000 litre | 1.2 - 1.8m | salt and pepper mini pebble | SWCG Atral eq35| Viron xt 1.5 HP VS pump | Astral CA280 sand filter | DB3 robot | 2 x LED lights | travertine coping and paving | ceramic waterline tile |

19. Back To Top    #19

@sham - Thanks for the compliments and the awesome nursery recommendation. I made a note of it and will definitely go out there.

@riley00dog - Thanks! I have this fear that I'm not doing enough but your words have reassured me about the watering. I haven't noticed any heat coming from the gunite.

20. Back To Top    #20

Iím sure what youíre doing is enough. That was a typo above... we were instructed by pb to water for 10 mins twice a day, not 20.

3.2 x 6m | inground concrete | ~27,000 litre | 1.2 - 1.8m | salt and pepper mini pebble | SWCG Atral eq35| Viron xt 1.5 HP VS pump | Astral CA280 sand filter | DB3 robot | 2 x LED lights | travertine coping and paving | ceramic waterline tile |

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast