Crystal Pure Salt System: Heavy Duty - Thoughts?

Alex_H

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 21, 2015
Hollywood, FL
Planning to do a Salt System. Local Pool store has sales planned for April on Hayward, was also looking at the much more cost effective Crystal Pure Sale System from Inyo Pools (they were great when I bought a replacement motor).

I have an 11,000 gallon pool. If I get a Hayward, they make a 15K or 40K rated one. The 15K would mean running high capacity, 40K would be just right around 30%.

Inyo Offers a 60K rated one as well. That one would run around 15% (give or take) and should last a LONG time. They now sell a "Heavy Duty" -- shipping March 25th -- supposed to offer 10,000 hrs of Salt (instead of 7,000).

On the one hand, price wise, the 60K Heavy Duty at 20% whould last 17 years... which seems like overkill given a 3 year warranty. Even the 40K regular should last 7 years.

Am I overthinking this? Does the Heavy Duty make any sense? Should I fork over the money for the name brand?

Thanks everyone! Been saving up a few months, was about to pull the trigger when local store mentioned April sales (I was picking up Chlorine/Acid), and then saw the Heavy Duty option on Inyo.

Alex

How good are you at taking care if your pool? Do you slack a bit?

If your super up on pool chemistry run the numbers for price per pound of clorine over the life of the cell and get the cheapest one.

Hate math or better than average pool care taker, 40

It's like an extra $100 or $200 for the 60, so 50% more life for not much more was my thought... I figured that the Heavy Duty 60 removed "parts" from the equation entirely. The control system will die before the salt cell.

I just ordered the PL7707 40k Heavy Duty from Inyo, waiting to receive it. When I did the math, the extra $ over the standard 40k was not favorable. But I save the hassle of swapping the cell out down the line for a year or so. To me that’s worth it.

Does anyone know if the Crystal Pure 40k or 40k Heavy Duty can be controlled by automation? A friend just got his and can’t seem to locate where the four wires need to go.

Thanks!

I just ordered the PL7707 40k Heavy Duty from Inyo, waiting to receive it. When I did the math, the extra $ over the standard 40k was not favorable. But I save the hassle of swapping the cell out down the line for a year or so. To me that’s worth it.

Does anyone know if the Crystal Pure 40k or 40k Heavy Duty can be controlled by automation? A friend just got his and can’t seem to locate where the four wires need to go.

Thanks!

OK, per Inyo support the Pureline Crystal Pure units are not able to be controlled by automation, even though they are nearly identical to the Hayward salt cells. This is a drawback if you want to set the Chlorinator not to run in Spa mode, or to remotely monitor or adjust the settings.

Interesting. I keep toying with automation and not pulling the trigger. I'd need to replumb at the pump pad, not majorly, but when I look to do it, it's like $4k for the automation system and the better part of a day messing with PVC. I think I'm going to pull the trigger on a more basic Crystal Pure one, and if I want to automate later, automate later.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.