Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: First time opening

1. Back To Top    #1

First time opening

This is my first year opening my pool. I just got the water circulating and I plan to start SLAMing soon, but Iím concerned that the sight valve on my filter seems to be empty and my pressure gauge is reading zero.... I donít think this is a good thing and Iím curious for input. Should I continue with the SLAM or could something have gone wrong when I primed the pump?

8,300 gal, IG fiberglass, sand filter, Taylor Technologies 2006, AutoPilot Nanodigital SWG

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: First time opening

Your pump basket should be full of water which indicates full prime. Is that the case? Also, make sure your water level is correct, at least halfway up the skimmer mouth opening and that any winterizing plug (i.e. Gizmo, rubber plugs, etc) were removed.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

Yeah, all that is good.... the sight glass is full now too. I had to do a backwash for that to fill. Pressure gauge is still at 0, but the pump basket is full with water and the return lines are flowing.

8,300 gal, IG fiberglass, sand filter, Taylor Technologies 2006, AutoPilot Nanodigital SWG

4. Back To Top    #4

Might keep an eye on that pressure gauge then. Little love tap or two and see if it does anything. With water flowing through the filter and returns, there should be "some" indication of back-pressure, so zero may mean the gauge quit on you. If so, you can get a nice quality glycerin gauge from TFTeskit.net like THESE.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

5. Back To Top    #5

My sight glass only has water in it when I am backwashing. When itís on normal filter mode, itís empty. As far as your pressure gauge, Iíd replace it. If it has been left out in the elements during the off season, it is probably broken. Good luck!

18'x34' vinyl, roman end, IG. 23K gal. Est. 2007 (best guess, not by us).
    Hayward Pro Series sand filter (S244T), Hayward super pump 1.5hp (C48L2N134B1)
    SWG Aqua Rite, Goldline Controls,Aqua collection turbulent Flo-chamber cell
    Hayward H-Series natural gas heater (H400FDN), Dolphin robotic vacuum, Taylor test kit K-2006-C

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Splash View Post
    If so, you can get a nice quality glycerin gauge from TFTeskit.net like THESE.
    Ooh... that's nice.
    14x28 unheated in-ground vinyl pool, chlorine, 3'/6' about 13k gallons. K-2006 test kit.
    Hayward single speed pump & sand filter. Merlin mesh winter cover. Dolphin Deluxe 4 robot.

7. Back To Top    #7

Yeah, the pressure gauge seems to be busted ó itís still at zero. I had it replaced last year when I bought this home. Is it as simple as unscrewing the one and screwing in another? Or are there other things that could contribute to it being at zero? Could a bad winter have busted the gauge? I live in GA so Iím wondering if the pool guy overcharged me for a cheap one thinking we wouldnít have to worry about it freezing, but we had a few freezes this winter.

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by Beach_Bum_at_Heart View Post
    Yeah, the pressure gauge seems to be busted ó itís still at zero. I had it replaced last year when I bought this home. Is it as simple as unscrewing the one and screwing in another? Or are there other things that could contribute to it being at zero? Could a bad winter have busted the gauge? I live in GA so Iím wondering if the pool guy overcharged me for a cheap one thinking we wouldnít have to worry about it freezing, but we had a few freezes this winter.
    Freezing temps can definitely bust it. I take mine out every closing and store it with my other removed parts. A little Teflon tape and back in it goes at open. Yes, just screw it out and screw it back in! I bought my replacement one at Lowes in the pool section when we moved in when I found the one that had been left in all winter was broken.

18'x34' vinyl, roman end, IG. 23K gal. Est. 2007 (best guess, not by us).
    Hayward Pro Series sand filter (S244T), Hayward super pump 1.5hp (C48L2N134B1)
    SWG Aqua Rite, Goldline Controls,Aqua collection turbulent Flo-chamber cell
    Hayward H-Series natural gas heater (H400FDN), Dolphin robotic vacuum, Taylor test kit K-2006-C

9. Back To Top    #9

When I bought mt house, it had an old sand filter with a broken gauge. I've since resurfaced the pool and replaced all of my pool equipment, replacing the sand filter with a Quad DE cartridge filter. At closing, I bring the pumps, chlorinator and entire filter assembly into the garage to avoid any damage over the winter.
    20x40 33k gal in-ground Bella Blue Pebble Fina pool w/diving board, 1 HP Hayward pump, Raypak RP2100 335k BTU NG mV heater, Pentair Quad DE 60 filter, Pentair 261173 multi-port valve, Stenner 45MPHP10 pump w/15 gal tank, Intermatic ET1125CR dual electronic timer, 1.5" lines, two skimmers w/socks, Poolskim, vacuum line, ColorQ Pro 7 kit, TF-100 kit, speedstir, 2 froglogs, Dolphin Discovery Robot. Wine is the answer, what was the question?