Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Solar reel with waterfall wall?

1. Back To Top    #1

Solar reel with waterfall wall?

Hi guys,

I'm looking into getting a solar cover for my pool however my design is somewhat akward as I have a water sheer wall up to the waters edge while the end sticks out 2' past. Has anyone come across this situation?

Perhaps a DIY idea or modifying an existing roller?

Or am I better off just removing and folding the cover manually? I want to make it as easy as possible for my wife to remove/add so she can utilize the pool while im away.
    Pool: 10'x20'x4' - 6,000gal - Vinyl Liner IG - Hayward Maxflow VSP SP23520VSP - Hayward H250ED2 250k - Hayward Prologic 8 - Hayward T-Cell-15 SWG - Hayward 24" LED waterfalls (x3) - Hayward GVA-24 3-way - Hayward Aqua Connect - Hayward Wireless Table top Remote - Pentair Posi-Clear RP Cartridge filter 200sq - AquaLamp 12v LED multicolor pool lights (x2) - Inline Zinc anode rod

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Solar reel with waterfall wall?

Here's one possible solution: DIY Solar Cover Roller
    Gene
    ​12,300 gal IG play pool - Pebbletec - built 10/1999 || Hayward S360SX 36" sand filter || Hayward Ecostar SP3400 VSP || A&A In-Floor cleaning system || Quik Water Leveler || Quik Dek-clor (limited use)
    TF-100 testkit / Speedstir - A good test kit is not an expense, it's an investment

3. Back To Top    #3

Maybe I'm looking at this wrong but the roller I have can be sized for the 10' side of your pool and even if it doesn't go all the way side to side 90% coverage would still be pretty good. It doesn't have to go over the edge like the pic.
    -Tim-
    Pool: 86 gunite/plaster screened IG 12K 14' X 29', Hayward 120 sq ft cartridge filter, Pentair Intelliflo 2 VST, Hayward SwimPure 40K SWCG, Hayward Poolvergnuegen autovac,
    Heat: 280 sq ft Ultrasun solar Panels, Pentair Solartouch Ctrl, (solar cover and reel)
    Tests: Taylor K-2006C & K-1766 w/ speedstir

4. Back To Top    #4

When do you guys leave your covers on? overnight or anytime that the pool isnt being used?

Does it impede the cleaning of the skimmer if you are running the pump overnight? Does a cover really save that much in temp loss?
    Pool: 10'x20'x4' - 6,000gal - Vinyl Liner IG - Hayward Maxflow VSP SP23520VSP - Hayward H250ED2 250k - Hayward Prologic 8 - Hayward T-Cell-15 SWG - Hayward 24" LED waterfalls (x3) - Hayward GVA-24 3-way - Hayward Aqua Connect - Hayward Wireless Table top Remote - Pentair Posi-Clear RP Cartridge filter 200sq - AquaLamp 12v LED multicolor pool lights (x2) - Inline Zinc anode rod

5. Back To Top    #5

I'm able to maintain 85-90 without putting the cover on at all from aprilish through summer to octoberish. From october to april in the winter I put the cover on most of the time so the pool can store heat and be ready when I get warm days. I ran the solar to get the pool up to 93 today as the night temps will be dropping into the low 50's and some overnight lows in the 40's over the next 10 days. I'm sure when that spell is over my pool will still be at least in the mid 80's. I'd imagine anyone in this area without solar and a cover wold probably be in the low to mid 70's with solar only low to mid 80's. I don't know if any of that info is relevant in your climate but for sure covering a pool during overnight lows will cut the evaporation and temp loss considerably, that will have a cumulative effect over time especially if you have a way to heat your pool.
    -Tim-
    Pool: 86 gunite/plaster screened IG 12K 14' X 29', Hayward 120 sq ft cartridge filter, Pentair Intelliflo 2 VST, Hayward SwimPure 40K SWCG, Hayward Poolvergnuegen autovac,
    Heat: 280 sq ft Ultrasun solar Panels, Pentair Solartouch Ctrl, (solar cover and reel)
    Tests: Taylor K-2006C & K-1766 w/ speedstir