Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Jandy SHPF 1.0 - Can I replace motor with variable speed?

1. Back To Top    #1

Jandy SHPF 1.0 - Can I replace motor with variable speed?

I have a Jandy SHPF 1.0 pool pump that is making a loud noise when running.
    This pump was here before we moved it. It did work fine until it recently started making the loud noise.
    I suspect it is the bearings in the motor causing this but that is just a guess.
    I would like to replace the motor with a variable speed motor if possible.

How do I find out what replacement VS motor will fit this pump?
    What is recommended if there is any choice?
    I found the user manual for the pump here:
    https://www.jandy.com/~/media/zodiac...h/h0573800.pdf

Is there any way to confirm replacing the motor will fix this noise without taking it apart?
    Could it be the impeller or something else?

Any other recommended part replacement if I am able to find a motor replacement?
    I think this was manufactured in 2006 based on serial #.

Eventually I would like to do automation but I do not have that setup yet.

I am attaching pics of the pump.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by mnschu; 03-02-2018 at 01:37 AM. Reason: adding pic of motor label
    --Michael--
    25K gallon in ground/spa, Century V 165 VS Pump, Pentair CCP 420 cartridge, Teledyne Laars Mark V 350K BTU Heater, Polaris PB460 pump w/280, blower, Compupool SWG

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Jandy SHPF 1.0 - Can I replace motor with variable speed?

You can use a square flange 56y motor with at least 1.65 total hp.

Based on the cost of a variable speed motor, you would probably be better off with a new variable speed pump.
    Support the site

Trouble Free Pool is a free resource. The people who answer questions are volunteers. If you find the site to be a good resource, please consider making a donation to help support the site. Thanks.

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks, I was hoping to avoid any plumbing work, it is a really tight fit.
    Perhaps alternative options are a 2 speed motor or if I can find an exact physical match for a complete pump, which seems unlikely.
    I was thinking something like this 2 speed: A.O. Smith 1 HP Energy Efficient Dual Spd. Motor - Full Rate (B982, B2982) - INYOPools.com
    --Michael--
    25K gallon in ground/spa, Century V 165 VS Pump, Pentair CCP 420 cartridge, Teledyne Laars Mark V 350K BTU Heater, Polaris PB460 pump w/280, blower, Compupool SWG

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

In the Industry

The Jandy ePump is the same footprint as the Stealth pump you have. It is quite expensive so your choice for the two speed may be better for you for now

5. Back To Top    #5

I also found this variable speed motor that Inyo says is compatible to my model: A.O. Smith 1.65 HP Variable Speed Pool Pump Motor Square Flange - ECM16SQU - INYOPools.com
    That is $400.
    However that looks like a 47Y frame. I guess those can work because they are smaller?
    I looked at some Jandy ePump pictures and it looks like it might even use this motor.
    So now I am leaning toward this $400 motor if I can confirm it will fit.
    Can anyone confirm this 47Y will fit? Do I need to do something with the base?
    Current motor rests on the base, if my understanding is correct, this 47Y will likely have some clearance.
    So it will be supported by the 4 bolts only? Any issues?
    --Michael--

6. Back To Top    #6

48Y frame motors ship with a rubber spacer for use when replacing a larger diameter 56Y frame motor.

Note that the vs motor is 230 volts only. It won't take 115 volts.
    Support the site

Trouble Free Pool is a free resource. The people who answer questions are volunteers. If you find the site to be a good resource, please consider making a donation to help support the site. Thanks.