My dolphin research. Help me out.

jimim

Bronze Supporter
Jun 20, 2016
NE/Pa
Ok a few of you all on here know I’m stressing about my first winter with a pool. So I’m trying to take my mind off of it. Not that the 8 inches of snow we r getting tomorrow is helping.

anyway. I’m in the dolphin camp right now.

i was considering the active 30 or quantum. Whatever u want to call it. I liked the jet power tech vs floats for wall climbing. But I have regular drains and with only 2 brushes I’m worried about getting hung up like I some experience. I like that it comes with remote and caddy for a cheaper price vs the m series. But the 2 brush I think is a deal breaker.

enter m series. I want remote control. I want a caddy. So I think I only have the M500 as a choice then. Am I correct in my assumption? I figure for let’s talk retail, 200 more I also get better programs for cleaning. I’m pretty much concerned about my floor. Keeping dirt off of it and worms out of the pool so I don’t get marks from them. So I has the floor cleaning program. So figure it’s a nice benefit vs the M400.

so even if I can buy the remote for the 400 then I’m 100 only cheaper so the 500 just makes sense then. Is my train of thought correct?

also so say we go 500 model. Is there a diff between the 2017 and 18 model. Should I look for a 17 model deal if the same. Can’t seem to find an answer to this one?

thanks!

Any my other input would be awesome! I’m only 1 day in on research but wNt to have bot in hand by end of month when I open cause we start brick work for the pool house this spring and the dust is going to be flying so I know I’m going to have a lot of dust landing in the pool to the floor.

all the best,
jimi

The M400 has a bluetooth remote feature. Everything remote is through the MyDolphin app now. The only difference nowadays between the M400 and 500 is an extended cycle time (3.5 hours on the 500 vs only 2.5 on the 400) and the scheduling feature in the MyDolphin app that lets you schedule a full week of cleaning cycles. The M400 only had a directional remote and a cycle adjustment to a 1 hour quick clean cycle that mostly focuses on the floor.

I haven't gotten my 2018 M series cleaners in yet but I'm not aware of any differences as my rep hasn't told me of any changes. The S series and Active series are getting swivel cables for 2018 but that's about it. Some dealers may be looking to get rid of new old stock but that may be the only deals to be had.

If you have any more questions you can check the thread I have linked in my signature.

You said the M400 only had a directional remote? What do u mean. I thought it had no remote. Just the app?

regardng filtration. Both the same right?

regarding cleaning programs. Does it really matter? I can care less about the delay starts. I don’t care about the longer run cycle. I care about how well each clean. It sounds like the 500 can clean better cause u can set it for a deep floor clean mode vs the 400. Am I right?

I really want want a physical remote for control.

Jim,

I have a remote for my Dolphin Premier and I've used it once.. It now sits in drawer..

If I have a leaf the size of a dime in the bottom of my pool, it will be gone when the cleaner is done... every time, no exceptions..!!!

I'm not sure what I would ever use the remote for...??

(Waist Gunner to theBombardier...) Do you need a remote to select the operating functions on the new Dolphins, or can it all be done from the power supply or Bluetooth app???

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

Thanks.

the only single reason I want the remote for is to get the bot out of the pool. I really don’t wNt my wife pulling it across the floor by the cord if out of reach. To get it close to her for getting it out.

also I’m looking at a 200 dollR diff between the 2 models and didn’t know if the extra cleaning modes were worth it.

jimi

I don’t give any worry to pulling my robot out by the cord across my pool. The pool surface, after a month, is much tougher than you give it credit for. But I understand your thought process. However, if you can get your wife to take your ‘advice’ and drive the [emoji880] to the side to pull it out, I will bow down to you.

Lol hey man. Seriously she will. She is a good good wife. Lol

you have an active 20. Does it have that pressure jet for climbing the walls? Like the new active 30 s300? How does it work?

Thanks.

the only single reason I want the remote for is to get the bot out of the pool. I really don’t wNt my wife pulling it across the floor by the cord if out of reach. To get it close to her for getting it out.

also I’m looking at a 200 dollR diff between the 2 models and didn’t know if the extra cleaning modes were worth it.

jimi

Jim,

Pulling the Dolphin to the side of the pool is not at all a problem.. In the water they are "almost" buoyant.. What you don't want to do is drag it OUT of the pool by the cord... You must pick it up by the handle or hand hold on the newer units..

You say you have a "good, good wife"... I say she must be a Saint!!!!! :p

Thanks,

Jim R.

Lol hey man. Seriously she will. She is a good good wife. Lol

you have an active 20. Does it have that pressure jet for climbing the walls? Like the new active 30 s300? How does it work?

My Active 20 has no problem with our pool depth. He routinely gets up to the tile. Earl’s only downfall is his propensity to take a siesta on his back on a bench. It’s hard to blame him. Why work when you can snooze in the pool. He does it about one in four times. I rarely hear others say they have this same issue though. So maybe it’s a refurb issue, who knows. He’s like a puppy that chews up your socks, you may not love everything he does, but you sure love him.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Call around to local shops and see if any of them will let you test drive a demo model. Two shops in my area did that and it will give you some feel for how the units clean. In my totally unbiased opinion, I think the M series are a waste of money in small pools. My S300i has more features than a low-end M series and it cleans perfectly. The Bluetooth smartphone App works fine but I honestly just push the big blue button in the power supply to start it as I predominantly use one cleaning routine. The remote brick is a relic of the past and I’m actually surprised Maytronics still makes them available on any unit.

Try to find a demo unit and that will help answer 99% of your questions.

You said the M400 only had a directional remote? What do u mean. I thought it had no remote. Just the app?

regardng filtration. Both the same right?

regarding cleaning programs. Does it really matter? I can care less about the delay starts. I don’t care about the longer run cycle. I care about how well each clean. It sounds like the 500 can clean better cause u can set it for a deep floor clean mode vs the 400. Am I right?

I really want want a physical remote for control.

Almost no Dolphins have physical remotes anymore and I don't even know if you can use a physical remote with the newer M400/500. It's an app you download to your phone now that connects to the power supply via bluetooth.

By "directional remote" I mean you can direct where the robot goes in the pool and that's about it.

Other than the delayed start the M400 and 500 are identical units. All the physical parts are the same it's just differences in programming. Honestly, if a normal 2.5 hour cycle doesn't fully clean a pool your size, another hour in there isn't going to do much more. The Dolphin can't scrub and harder or softer, it's just the amount of surface area it covers in a certain amount of time.

Jim,

I have a remote for my Dolphin Premier and I've used it once.. It now sits in drawer..

If I have a leaf the size of a dime in the bottom of my pool, it will be gone when the cleaner is done... every time, no exceptions..!!!

I'm not sure what I would ever use the remote for...??

(Waist Gunner to theBombardier...) Do you need a remote to select the operating functions on the new Dolphins, or can it all be done from the power supply or Bluetooth app???

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

You can set the weekly timer from the power supply, but not the delayed start or the cycle parameters. For that you need to go through the app.

Jim,

Pulling the Dolphin to the side of the pool is not at all a problem.. In the water they are "almost" buoyant.. What you don't want to do is drag it OUT of the pool by the cord... You must pick it up by the handle or hand hold on the newer units..

You say you have a "good, good wife"... I say she must be a Saint!!!!! :p

Thanks,

Jim R.

ya think! Ya she deals with all my worrying. Pretty much laughs it off. I have gotten better over the years. At work they love I worry so much cause they know hey never have to worry about me not doing what I should be doing. Lol

ok this makes me feel better re the remote. I can save some money on the m400 this way cause I really don’t think I need the extra programs.

- - - Updated - - -

My Active 20 has no problem with our pool depth. He routinely gets up to the tile. Earl’s only downfall is his propensity to take a siesta on his back on a bench. It’s hard to blame him. Why work when you can snooze in the pool. He does it about one in four times. I rarely hear others say they have this same issue though. So maybe it’s a refurb issue, who knows. He’s like a puppy that chews up your socks, you may not love everything he does, but you sure love him.

thats pretty funny! Lol. Good laugh for the day! ThAnks!

- - - Updated - - -

Call around to local shops and see if any of them will let you test drive a demo model. Two shops in my area did that and it will give you some feel for how the units clean. In my totally unbiased opinion, I think the M series are a waste of money in small pools. My S300i has more features than a low-end M series and it cleans perfectly. The Bluetooth smartphone App works fine but I honestly just push the big blue button in the power supply to start it as I predominantly use one cleaning routine. The remote brick is a relic of the past and I’m actually surprised Maytronics still makes them available on any unit.

Try to find a demo unit and that will help answer 99% of your questions.[/QUOTE

thanks for that. U like the water propulsion system on it? What kinda drain do u have? I have the typical round ones that are domes a bit. I’m worried about getting hung up. I have 3 in a row cause 1 is a floor return so it’s tigjt down there.

- - - Updated - - -

I got to find a local place to demo I think. That is going to be hard cause we have just builders up my way pretty much. I think there is one builder who has a shop u can go into and he is miserable to boot. Heard he builds a nice vinyl pool though.

The PowerStream technology works fine for my pool. The M-series has two motors in it so it can do split-track turns whereas the S-series robot uses a reverse power thrust to make it do a one-sided wheelie to execute a 90-deg turn. The turning radius required on the S-series is larger but it works fine in my pool I have standard dual drains in my deep end with covers that stick up about 3/8" (roughly). If my robot hits them dead-on, it will get high-centered and stuck on the cover. This has only lasted, at most, 30-60 seconds and then the robot executes a power thrust turn and gets itself unstuck. So my drain covers have never been a problem for my robot however, your mileage may vary. Hopefully you can find an authorized dealer nearby that will let you demo a unit, that will be the only way to get the definitive answers you seek.

can you speak of the 2018 s series model differences being the website actually contradicts itself on every page. the 300 vs 300i.

is the app only for movement on the 300 vs the 300i being programming and control?

what about cleaning cycles and programs?

so is the 300 a m400 and the 300i is a m500 but obviously diff propulsion and brush and motor.

thanks,
jimi

Almost no Dolphins have physical remotes anymore and I don't even know if you can use a physical remote with the newer M400/500. It's an app you download to your phone now that connects to the power supply via bluetooth.

By "directional remote" I mean you can direct where the robot goes in the pool and that's about it.

Other than the delayed start the M400 and 500 are identical units. All the physical parts are the same it's just differences in programming. Honestly, if a normal 2.5 hour cycle doesn't fully clean a pool your size, another hour in there isn't going to do much more. The Dolphin can't scrub and harder or softer, it's just the amount of surface area it covers in a certain amount of time.

You can set the weekly timer from the power supply, but not the delayed start or the cycle parameters. For that you need to go through the app.

I have little to add to the above posts except that the basket system on the S-series (and it's siblings) is by far a superior format. The bags on some older models are the worst, followed by cartridges, which are better but still more of a pain than the basket. The other advantage of the basket is that you can use pleated filters in the basket while using a mesh outer basket to catch the bigger stuff (and keep the pleats from clogging).

A robot is most useful when it's easy to use.

I have little to add to the above posts except that the basket system on the S-series (and it's siblings) is by far a superior format. The bags on some older models are the worst, followed by cartridges, which are better but still more of a pain than the basket. The other advantage of the basket is that you can use pleated filters in the basket while using a mesh outer basket to catch the bigger stuff (and keep the pleats from clogging).

A robot is most useful when it's easy to use.

so how do u like ur s300. I’m liking the filter system better on the s vs m right now from today’s reading.

How is urs for tile line and wall scrubbing? What about drains. Do u have the done type?

I would not waste the money on the remote, she won't use it to drive the robot to a step... My Dolphin floats up with a quick tug on the cord and I grab the handle and lift it out of the pool. I too thought I wanted a bluetooth remote model so I could "drive" the robot to the steps, but I now realize that would be a total waste and not worth the time it takes to maneuver the robot.

so how do u like ur s300. I’m liking the filter system better on the s vs m right now from today’s reading.

How is urs for tile line and wall scrubbing? What about drains. Do u have the done type?

This will be my 4th season with the S300. Works great. Scrubs walls/tile well (climbs to the waterline and then propels itself sideways a bit to scrub a large section of tile before submerging again.

My drain cover looks like this: https://robsclearwaterpools.com/wp-content/uploads/fedcomp.jpg

If you haven't seen the demo video on the S300, it shows the features pretty accurately: Dolphin S series S300 - YouTube

As for remote control. I don't bother with it.

hi guys,

i'm going go with the s300i. it sounds like from what i gathered that the tech in the s300 is the future for dolphin vs the m500 tech for movement and brush layout. i don't have anyone local to try either out with so i'm going to just go wit the advice here and my gut and buy the s300i. as soon as i get the pool open again i'm going to get 1 ordered from my builder.

jim

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.