A couple of slam questions

Sep 27, 2017
Conway, AR
We have had almost 15" of rain where I live over the last 10 days. Needless to say because of that (having to let water out of the pool 5 times in the last 10 days) and not being able to check on my chemistry for several days, my free chlorine dropped to zero. That and the warming water has turned my water a little colored and a little cloudy. I added bleach to get my FC up to 4.4, the next day my FC had dropped to 3.8(after another water removal due to rain) and my CC was 0.4. After some more rain last night my FC is down to 3.0 and the CC is 0.2.

Should I go ahead and do a Slam?

My CYA is 55 which I find hard to believe after all the rain and when it was only 70 before all the rain. If I slam should I use the number I just tested to calculate my SLAM target FC?

Is it ok to run my Dolphin cleaner during a slam...will it damage it?

Should I go ahead and do a Slam?
Absolutely! Knock it out now before it gets worse. Round-up the CYA to 60 means your SLAM FC level should be "24". Don't forget to lower the pH to about 7.2 first. Yes, the Dolphin will be fine for the short time you run it each day. Good luck!

- - - Updated - - -

dbtgallery.php

I know I read the CYA test can be a little unreliable if there was algae present and wasn't sure how to proceed.
That's a bit of a myth that lingers on in the archives. If you can fill the CYA tube with straight pool water and see the dot clearly (which should be the case in all but the most severe algae cases) then it is not affecting your reading in any significant way.

That's a bit of a myth that lingers on in the archives. If you can fill the CYA tube with straight pool water and see the dot clearly (which should be the case in all but the most severe algae cases) then it is not affecting your reading in any significant way.

Makes sense, I didn't know if it was merely a visibility issue or if it affected the chemistry of the test. It's definitely not bad enough to affect visibility. :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.