Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: A couple of slam questions

1. Back To Top    #1

A couple of slam questions

We have had almost 15" of rain where I live over the last 10 days. Needless to say because of that (having to let water out of the pool 5 times in the last 10 days) and not being able to check on my chemistry for several days, my free chlorine dropped to zero. That and the warming water has turned my water a little colored and a little cloudy. I added bleach to get my FC up to 4.4, the next day my FC had dropped to 3.8(after another water removal due to rain) and my CC was 0.4. After some more rain last night my FC is down to 3.0 and the CC is 0.2.

Should I go ahead and do a Slam?

My CYA is 55 which I find hard to believe after all the rain and when it was only 70 before all the rain. If I slam should I use the number I just tested to calculate my SLAM target FC?

Is it ok to run my Dolphin cleaner during a slam...will it damage it?
    30K, plaster, heated SPA
    SWG Pentair Intellicholor IC40, pumps- Pentair Intelliflo 2VST X2 (1 for main filtration 1 for water features)
    Pentair remote control, Pentair natural gas heater
    4x four foot canister filters

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: A couple of slam questions

Should I go ahead and do a Slam?
    Absolutely! Knock it out now before it gets worse. Round-up the CYA to 60 means your SLAM FC level should be "24". Don't forget to lower the pH to about 7.2 first. Yes, the Dolphin will be fine for the short time you run it each day. Good luck!

- - - Updated - - -

Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

Thank you! I'll get to it! I know I read the CYA test can be a little unreliable if there was algae present and wasn't sure how to proceed.
    30K, plaster, heated SPA
    SWG Pentair Intellicholor IC40, pumps- Pentair Intelliflo 2VST X2 (1 for main filtration 1 for water features)

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by Saltyhog View Post
    I know I read the CYA test can be a little unreliable if there was algae present and wasn't sure how to proceed.
    That's a bit of a myth that lingers on in the archives. If you can fill the CYA tube with straight pool water and see the dot clearly (which should be the case in all but the most severe algae cases) then it is not affecting your reading in any significant way.
    JD - 28' Round Above Ground Pool, 17,000 Gallons. Dual speed Jacuzzi pump with cartridge filter. Dual speed 1 HP pump, Hayward S210T sand filter
    Pool School - PoolMath

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Donldson View Post
    That's a bit of a myth that lingers on in the archives. If you can fill the CYA tube with straight pool water and see the dot clearly (which should be the case in all but the most severe algae cases) then it is not affecting your reading in any significant way.

Makes sense, I didn't know if it was merely a visibility issue or if it affected the chemistry of the test. It's definitely not bad enough to affect visibility.
    30K, plaster, heated SPA