Brand new to pools and willing to learn - Hopefully you can be of help

gsrel

Aug 29, 2017
Toronto, Canada
Quick blurb as an introduction..

My wife had the bright idea of installing an ingound 8'x8' hottub in our backyard (Yard is 37'x27'), I eventually convinced her that if im digging out a hole in the ground that I may aswell put a pool in. After getting a few quotes from local installers I decided to just do it myself (with the help of some friends = free labor).

After purchasing the required wall panels, interior steel steps, liner etc and renting the excavation equipment I came out with a pool that is 10x20 w/avg 4' deep (3.5' shallow and 4.5' deep - mostly for cooling down).

Using the following equipment:
- Hayward Maxflow vsp 240v
- Hayward H250ED2 250k btu (yes, these are still sold here in Canada)
- Hayward Prologic 8 relay
- Hayward T-Cell-15
- Hayward 24" LED waterfalls (x 3)
- Hayward GVA-24 3-way actuator
- Pentair Posi-Clear RP Cartridge filter 200sq
- AquaLamp 12v LED multicolor pool lights (x2)
- Inline Zinc anode rod
- Jandy 3 way vales, Jandy check valve
- Suction lines @ 1.5"
- 2 returns @ 1.5"
- Main waterfall line @ 2" that branches off to 3 x 1.5" lines

Needless to say I can work with my hands however when it comes to chemicals and getting everything up and running I'm totally in the dark!

Examples of my total lack of understanding such as:
- How many KG of salt does one use?
- What testing kit should I purchase (K-2006, TF-100, K-2006C). Its important to note that I am in Canada so I would be bring it over on my future travel. Also since our pool seasons are roughly 4 months would these expire before I get to use it all up?
- A friend gave me his K-2005 but it has expired by a few years, is there anything that I can use from this kit?
- Since its a fairly small body of water is there something that I should look out for?

Im sure that there are other tips and tricks that you all can provide. Hopefully I provided enough information above.

Thank you in advance

So are you saying you already have the pool in your yard and it is full of water???

Okay for the test kit-Where you are at you will only find a Taylor 2006 local. Even with your pool season being 4 months I would still say buy the TF-100 as it has more of the test we do on a daily bases. I would really hate for you to run out of any of the regents before the season ends.

How often do you come visit our side? Do you have a "drop box" for things like this?

I would LOVE to see this spa turned pool!

Kim:kim:

Welcome to TFP! :wave: You can also use the Poolmath Calculator (link above and in my sig) to determine how much salt is required to reach your recommended range - I'm guessing somewhere about 3,000ppm of salt? Please see the TFTestkit.net web site for the K-1766 salt kit. Yes, if you're traveling across in the near future, I also recommend the TF-100 as it is a great value and will last all season for sure when stored indoors out of heat and sunlight. I believe there are some season-opening sales as well right now. :wink:

Great to have you with us!

Thanks for the replies

Yes - I filled it last year when I installed the liner (before I ended up doing the interlock, etc) It currently looks like this; just waiting on spring so I can purchase a stone countertop for my bbq kitchen.

I did this around Sept of last year so right before winter hit

That is SO pretty!!! What great use of your space and area!

So we need to get you a test kit asap so you don't get algae when the water starts warming up! When do you expect to come on our side next?

If you look at oz of each regent in each kit you will see that TF-100 is the best bang for the buck as it has more of the regents we use daily. It is based on real life use by those here at TFP. Next would be the K-2006C THEN the K-2006. I will also have you make sure the test kits you get from Amazon are fresh.

For now have you added ANY cya to the water at all? Did you use any chlorine pucks or powder shock in the water at all yet?

Can you lay your hands on one of the "baby" test kits like this: hth 6-Way Test Kit - Walmart.com This will enable you to do a couple of PH and TA tests so we can make sure the water is good for you pretty new liner.

I havent done anything to the water yet.. I filled it up when I built it in late Sept/early Oct. I hope I didnt mess anything up?

I plan on vacuuming the pool clean and maybe removing 1/2 of the water then filling it up with fresh.

I took a quick look at the Taylor C K-2005 kit that my friend gave me and followed this guide: Recognizing A Compromised Reagent It seems that they are all OK (which I found odd considering this kit is from 2014) except for the CR-0002.

Not sure if its worth using this in the meantime or just say forget it and get a new package

Lets do a step back for right now.......can you please fill in your signature? Go to settings, edit signature....put in kind of pool, size (gals), what equipment you have, etc so we can make sure we are all on the same page.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You can use the 2005 for the time being, if it goes green you will need the fas-dpd portion that the 2005 lacks. When the temps warm up get the tf100. Definitely don't get the 2006 as it's a tiny test kit. The 2006c is a big kit but the tf100 is adjusted for our needs.

THANKS! :hug:

Okay so lets use the kit you have and look at the PH and TA for right now. Test those with the kit you have. There are videos on how to do the test. Let me know if you need help finding them.

Why are you thinking of taking any water out? Not sure that needs to be done really........just seeing where you are at and what you are thinking.

Also go to the store and buy some CYA aka pool stabilizer. Get the powder kind. Not sure what kind of store you have but here I get mine from Walmart and Lowes. You do not have to go to the pool store. Just make sure it is 99% Cyanuric Acid Do not put it in until we talk about it. Get one for right now.

Thank you for the helpful info!

I was thinking of vacuuming/cleaning to waste thus removing part of the water as it's full of construction dust when I did my interlock.

I have about 4" of ice currently in the pool.. hopefully it melts soon!

ahhhhhhhhhhh in the case of the construction dust it would not hurt to remove some of it BUT you cannot vacuum to waste with a cartridge filter :( What you can do is put a t-shirt in the skimmer basket when you vacuum to help catch some of the dust. Your cartridge filter should catch most of it though.

4" of ice??????? BURRRRRRRRRRRRR nope, and more nope!

When you add the CYA (stabilizer) please put it in a sock instead of pouring through the skimmer. I like to hang mine in front of a return making sure it cannot touch the sides. If you put it in the sock in the skimmer make sure to leave the pump running so it does not build up in your skimmer. You can and should squeeze the sock often to help get it done.

Every chemical can be added at any time and together EXCEPT muriatic acid and chlorine/bleach. They do not play well together. Use the link about to save you some money.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.