Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Clorox "Germicidal" Bleach?

1. Back To Top    #1

Clorox "Germicidal" Bleach?

Hey guys,

I'm all over the BBB system now and my pool has never looked better. Thanks for all of your helpful advice. I've been buying Clorox "Regular" Bleach and I was at Home Depot the other day and they had Clorox but was labeled "Germicidal" bleach. The ingredients look the same to me but I wanted to make sure that it's ok to use in the pool. See pic....

[attachment=0:2u2550j6]Clorox.jpg[/attachment:2u2550j6]
    Attached Images Attached Images
    15,000 gallon in ground plaster with hot tub. Chlorine Pool with Ozinator. 2 Skimmers
    SmartFilter 450/550 4 cartridge filter.
    2.5 HP Emmerson Main pump
    Hayward Super Pump II 3/4 HP pump for water feature.
    Hayward Tiger Shark robotic cleaner (LOVE IT!)
    3/4 Hayward Super Pump II 3/4 booster pump for Hayward Phantom cleaner (no longer used)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Clorox "Germicidal" Bleach?

there is a google search in the bottom left hand of every page that works pretty well. here are a couple results:
    anyone-familiar-with-clorox-germicidal-bleach-t9392.html
    generic-chlorine-bleach-ok-or-just-clorox-t13200.html
    16x32 21,000 gallon in-ground exposed aggregate, 1.5hp pump, 120 sqft catridge filter, birdcage, solar panels, aquavac tigershark qc robot.

3. Back To Top    #3

Great! So I can use it. I seem to find myself at Home Depot every other weekend or so, so this is useful information. Thanks.
    15,000 gallon in ground plaster with hot tub. Chlorine Pool with Ozinator. 2 Skimmers
    SmartFilter 450/550 4 cartridge filter.
    2.5 HP Emmerson Main pump
    Hayward Super Pump II 3/4 HP pump for water feature.
    Hayward Tiger Shark robotic cleaner (LOVE IT!)
    3/4 Hayward Super Pump II 3/4 booster pump for Hayward Phantom cleaner (no longer used)

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

looks like regular "lets take advantage of people" bleach

5. Back To Top    #5

What are they charging for it?
    I consider myself very lucky I found this site before the pool store found me-pool owner since Nov 2008- Stunningly clear 17,000 gal fiberglass pool, thanks to this site, installed in 1982-24" 3.1sq. ft sta-rite sand filter, 1 hp - 2 speed wisperflo pump-WFDS-4

6. Back To Top    #6

You will also want to check out Costco and Sam's and pay attention to the specials at the grocery stores. Compare Walmart house brand as well as grocery store house brands.

If I see 6% bleach in a decent brand at around $1.50/gallon I stock up. Otherwise, it is Sam's at $8.40something for 3x182oz at 6%.
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.

7. Back To Top    #7

At Costco in Independence, MO, it is 8.15 for 3/182oz. It's really close to me, so I haven't really looked at other places.

On Costco's website, they only show the Germicidal bleach whitch is more expensive, my Costco didn't have that in the stores, they just had the regular Clorox.
    24'x4' AGP Round
    S166T Hayward Sand Filter
    S48K2A2 Hayward Pump