Teribble's Vegas OB Pool / Spa

Re: Teribble's Vegas OB Pool / Spa

Did more research and infloor is not happening. I've got some great info from Will and worked on my design in CAD a little. I need to find someone willing to share their plans so I can see what all notes are required on the prints. If I can see a good picture or PDF I won't have a problem creating a Details list. Then I can send them to a structural eng. and let him do his work. Anyone see any issues with this or have suggestions on improvements?

Might be hard to read with the colors but here's Rev1

[url=https://imgur.com/jz2T1dk]
[/URL]

Never having done it, if I was to design a backyard and pool, I would stake everything out and create shapes with strings between the stakes. Even the various sections in the pool, the decking, the BBQ area... everything. Then walk around it, sit near it, in it. etc. Chairs and tables, umbrellas, chaise lounges especially, take up way more room than you might think. And not just them, but the space necessary to comfortably navigate around such things...

When I was designing a breakfast bar for my kitchen, I was really concerned about how it would impact the adjacent dining area, the kitchen itself, and especially the clearance between it and the refrigerator, and how more than one person would get into and move around in the kitchen with the new bar in place. So I built the whole thing out of cardboard and lived with it for a while, I think it was for at least a month, maybe two (I wasn't in a hurry!). I changed its size and shape a couple times based on that process. It's now perfect.

I can't imagine planning a pool without doing something to simulate it, including placing tables and chairs (or simulating them, too), to see how everything would feel...

Never having done it, if I was to design a backyard and pool, I would stake everything out and create shapes with strings between the stakes. Even the various sections in the pool, the decking, the BBQ area... everything. Then walk around it, sit near it, in it. etc. Chairs and tables, umbrellas, chaise lounges especially, take up way more room than you might think. And not just them, but the space necessary to comfortably navigate around such things...

When I was designing a breakfast bar for my kitchen, I was really concerned about how it would impact the adjacent dining area, the kitchen itself, and especially the clearance between it and the refrigerator, and how more than one person would get into and move around in the kitchen with the new bar in place. So I built the whole thing out of cardboard and lived with it for a while, I think it was for at least a month, maybe two (I wasn't in a hurry!). I changed its size and shape a couple times based on that process. It's now perfect.

I can't imagine planning a pool without doing something to simulate it, including placing tables and chairs (or simulating them, too), to see how everything would feel...
I feel the same way and will over research everyone option to the end of the earth before pulling the trigger. The first spa idea, I got some marking paint and laid it all out on the ground and walked it, looked at it from every angle. I'm going to do the same with this layout once I double check the sizes and make sure I like the design.

I like everything about the current layout but I can't decide if I should do a raised wall / planter against the back wall or do 3 feet of decking with a 1 foot gap from the wall. Not sure cost wise which is better and what would look the best. I see everyone with their beautiful stone on their raised walls/ spill ways and all I can think about is the hard water stains and the upkeep with them here in Vegas. My last pool had a tile raised wall and that was a huge PITA to keep looking good so I can't imagine how much work stone will be to keep the build up off unless I'm missing some magic cleaner or something.

Ha, I think if there was some magic cleaner to remove "pool ring" from the stone and tile there'd be another billionaire in the world!!

I had to have mine blasted off. When expressing my concern about that here at TFP, I was told a little was inevitable where pool water, air and tile meet (evaporation being the culprit). Just the nature of the beast. And yes, stone has to be worse, right? But I was assured that by using TFPC (maintaining proper CSI), that my pool ring would be much less, and controllable with a little elbow grease if I didn't let it go. It's been six months and not a spec so far.

Few random thoughts:

I think having a raised planter behind a pool would look fantastic. I'd prefer something more organic looking than tile for that, so I'd want stone, too. But to have a "plant background" would be visually stunning. Lit up at night with some garden lights? Awesome. Few palms? Water fall? Sure!!

Now the stains issue aside, maintaining the planter itself (planting, weeding, trimming, etc), along with leaves dropping in the pool, could be a real nightmare, depending on the layout and dimensions of it. So will the visual be worth the extra effort?

My kids love running around the pool (no matter how many times we yell at them not to run!) And I use the entire perimeter of the deck for brushing, dosing, and just walking from one point to another around my pool and yard. Having less than 360° of decking would be an issue for me.

You had a raised wall before, right? Did you live with that long enough to form an opinion about it? Versus a continuous deck? Did you ever plant back there, or was it always just the hardscape?

Tough one...

Dirk,
I agree with you 100% and I hated dealing with the landscape on the raised wall. The previous home owner planned palm trees there and the roots started lifting the coping in a few areas so they removed them before we bought the house and planted some ground coverage plants that made a mess in the pool. I'm leaning more towards no raised wall and maybe getting the block wall covered in stucco to look a little better. There's to many options and detail to work on in a pool build.Starting to get overwhelmed. I'm thinking I need to focus more on the pool equipment because that's not going to change once I get all the details worked out and that would check those boxes and get me on to shopping.

Hmmm, not to continue to overwhelm... I'd be careful about buying anything (that wasn't returnable at least), until your entire plan is done. You never know what might change. Look how far you've come in just 29 posts! Pump type and size, filter size, SWG size, etc. are all things that might need adjusting as your plan evolves. Just adding a handful of spa jets or a water feature somewhere can mess up an equipment plan. Plus, there are discounts to be had in buying things all at the same time, that might be compromised should you need to upgrade a thing or two at a later date. And then there is the warranty issue. Pentair, for example, upgrades your warranty if you buy certain things all at the same time, as a bundle. If you later have to swap something, that later purchase might not get the same warranty upgrade. And then there is the warranty clock itself. This stuff breaks down. Nature of the beast. I'd want to buy my equipment at the latest possible date, to extend my warranty out that much farther. You don't want a pump sitting in a box in your garage for three months, only to have it break down two months after the warranty expired. I don't know which brands would honor begin-of-service date over purchase date. See what I mean? That's assuming that's what you meant by "on to shopping." If you were just talking about a wish list... then shop away!

I like the stucco idea. If you don't mind me saying, that was the most glaring thing about your last pool, that block wall, which completely dominated the look of that pool. A nice finish would go a long way. Leave that one foot you were talking about. Plant in there with something that will visually break up the wall. Then you can walk around the pool, and still have a bit of a plant background, with less of the issues. Plant selection can make a huge difference, too, in plant and pool maintenance. (More decisions!!) My pool is surrounded by trees, shrubs and plants, but they hardly shed anything into the pool. I can go weeks without emptying my skimmer basket.

I don't envy the sheer number of decisions in front of you, not helped, I'm sure, by all the opinions thrown at you here! It's supposed to be :party: not :brickwall:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

I was more thinking of getting the list of equipment nailed down then I can get the price quotes from different vendors. Looking at everyone's builds on here they have all their equipment installed when the plumbing gets completed. That seems like it could be sitting for weeks maybe even a few months. I agree I need something to split the wall from the deck and a little green would look great. I couldn't stand looking at my old block wall in my last house and plan on changes that with this house.

Should I start a new thread now that this has changed from a spa to a pool / spa combo?

I was more thinking of getting the list of equipment nailed down then I can get the price quotes from different vendors. Looking at everyone's builds on here they have all their equipment installed when the plumbing gets completed. That seems like it could be sitting for weeks maybe even a few months. I agree I need something to split the wall from the deck and a little green would look great. I couldn't stand looking at my old block wall in my last house and plan on changes that with this house.

Good plan!

Another here went a while before installing the pad equipment. His plumbing was finished and then it sat for quite a while in pressure-test mode. So I don’t think the two have to happen one right after the other... That’s something to discuss with the PB and/or plumber... We’ve all seen it a lot here: PBs tend to do what’s best for themselves instead of the customer. Some of these guys need a little, uh, encouragement to do things the way you want them done. You just have to speak up.

You can’t test the pad stuff without water in the pool, right? Śo nothing comes to mind why it’d have to be installed all that much in advance of the final surface. Anybody know of a reason? I suppose you wouldn’t want to cut it too close, to make sure all the parts were on site, but not months in advance...

I can/will edit the title for you. Just tell me what you want to call it. I say keep it here in this thread.
How about "Teribble's Vegas OB Pool / Spa"

Good plan!

Another here went a while before installing the pad equipment. His plumbing was finished and then it sat for quite a while in pressure-test mode. So I don’t think the two have to happen one right after the other... That’s something to discuss with the PB and/or plumber... We’ve all seen it a lot here: PBs tend to do what’s best for themselves instead of the customer. Some of these guys need a little, uh, encouragement to do things the way you want them done. You just have to speak up.

You can’t test the pad stuff without water in the pool, right? Śo nothing comes to mind why it’d have to be installed all that much in advance of the final surface. Anybody know of a reason? I suppose you wouldn’t want to cut it too close, to make sure all the parts were on site, but not months in advance...
I've got a few quotes from pool builders and their prices are CRAZY. I will be doing the OB thing and I'm going to try to sub out as little as possible. I work in construction and for a mechanical contractor we do HVAC and Plumbing. I have a few plumbers I work with that have done the OB pool route and will be doing my plumbing for me with my help. We might have a company we sub out our excavations work to that I should be able to get done super cheap but I'm still waiting to hear back on. I'm building the list of equipment this weekend and will post it for you guys to review.

Re:  Teribble's Vegas OB Pool / Spa

I've got a few quotes from pool builders and their prices are CRAZY. I will be doing the OB thing and I'm going to try to sub out as little as possible. I work in construction and for a mechanical contractor we do HVAC and Plumbing. I have a few plumbers I work with that have done the OB pool route and will be doing my plumbing for me with my help. We might have a company we sub out our excavations work to that I should be able to get done super cheap but I'm still waiting to hear back on. I'm building the list of equipment this weekend and will post it for you guys to review.

Well, they say if you want it done right, do it yourself! Lots of OBs here, I'm sure they can help. Heck. there's many here that have to stay on top of their PBs so much, they're turned into OBs anyway!! ;)

Terr, I will dig up my plans that went to the city and you can come by and get a copy it’s no problem. I can tell you that they want separate plans for electrical and plumbing and gas along with excavation and engineering

And I’m always available and your never a bother, so many have helped me and I’m still doing projects so I just want to pay it forward. Funny thing is as I go along I’m finding even more subs so future projects are becoming even easier to complete

Will,
That would be great to see what your's look like, Just let me know how your schedule looks and we can work something out. I know they do separate plans for each trade and I shouldn't have a hard time doing them as long as I can see them. I'm going to have our electrical eng review them depending on if they need to be stamped and the same with our mechanical eng.

A little update on my progress.
I worked on getting the final layout finished yesterday and approved with my wife. I laid it out in the backyard and marked the corners with rebar to make sure the placement and design was good. She signed off but didn't give me the final approval of the pool depths. We talked about doing the sports pool style with a 3'-6" to 5' to 4' but she wasn't feeling it and had enough pool talk for the day. 3'-6" in the shallow end just seems too shallow, our kids are bigger (11 & 13) and we're going to have the one splash pad / wet deck. I took a tape measure and put it up to us and even 4 feet seems too shallow. The struggle is real with all the small details to build a pool. There's so many options and details to work out.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.