Timer on a 2 speed pump

Aug 4, 2009
Chesapeake, VA
Just bought a house with a beautiful i/g pool.

The pump is a 2-speed model which runs 24 hours a day, about 8 of those on high speed as directed by a mechanical timer. Is this normal to 2-speed pump pools? Should I replace the timer with one that would allow me to run it for 8 hours on low, 8 on high, and 8 off (assuming that would provide sufficient flow to turnover the pool at least twice daily that is)?

I'm mainly concerned about saving energy if at all possible. Thoughts?

Does your SWG run only when the pump's on high? That may be the reason for the timing like it is.

If the SWG will only operate with the pump on high then you'll have to figure out if you can either split the time in two sessions and have it shut off part of the day, or run it on high long enough to keep your FC high enough and shut it off the rest of the day.

Now, if the SWG will operate with the pump running on low you could just run it on low 24 hrs a day and you'd only possibly need to run it on high while vacuuming.

I run my two-speed pump as below:

4 hours on high to run the cleaner and skim the surface
8 hours on low to filter and run SWG
12 hours off

I've found this provides sufficient circulation, filtration, and chlorine generation for me. It took me a little playing around to get it exactly like I like it, but it works great now.

dave

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.