Question about bleach?

Aug 7, 2009
I have been using trichlor sticks forever. I just keep them in the basket, check every 2 or 3 days and add when needed.
FC 3
pH 7.4
TA 120
CH 225
CYA 75
I read somewhere in PoolSchool that I would naturally lose 2-3 ppm a day. Plugging into the Calculator says add 156 oz. of bleach to make that up. Does that mean if I'm not adding bleach every day that I will have a problem? Am I looking at this wrong or isn't this more trouble?

Water looks terrific. I am using a lot of sticks and am concerned about CYA level creeping up since I found this web site and have learned all the evils of trichlor & dichlor. Hoping the bleach method will be cheaper in the long run.

Hi and welcome!

You never want your FC to drop below the minimum listed in the CYA chlorine chart, linked in my sig.
Most here add the bleach at night, after the sun is off the pool. Test and add enough to hit your Max. number in the chart. Then by evening the next day, you will have dropped down somewhat.

Some people can get away with adding bleach every other day. This will depend on how much sun your pool gets, how much use your pool gets, anyone using your pool as a potty :shock: and the weather, and probably other things I am forgetting!

You really need to test daily, even if you are using the sticks. Problems can crop up very quickly, and it is much easier to prevent them than it is to clear them up!!

Does that mean if I'm not adding bleach every day that I will have a problem? Am I looking at this wrong or isn't this more trouble?
Well, what we teach is certainly more trouble than what you have been doing. However, as you noted, you want to get your CYA back under control and the sticks are only making matters worse

So, in a nutshell, simply pull the sticks from your pool and use bleach. You CYA will drift back down over time and get into a more manageable situation that=n you are now.

Save the sticks for when you go on vacation.

Yes, it more trouble to use bleach....it's probably a little cheaper, too. Importantly, continued use of the sticks is gonna' cause you some bigt problems in the near future.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.