Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Tds testing

1. Back To Top    #1

In the Industry

Tds testing

Can i test my pool for TDS with the Taylor K2006 Pool Water FAS-DPD Chlorine Test Kit?
    1500 gallons SPA. 104
    IG, Plaster, 6years old.
    Sand filter Triton ll TR140.
    Taylor K-2006 Complete Pool
    Pentair brominator feeder using bromine. Bi-carbonate. Calcium chloride.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Tds testing

Quote Originally Posted by whitemok View Post
    Can i test my pool for TDS with the Taylor K2006 Pool Water FAS-DPD Chlorine Test Kit?
    No. TDS is unnecessary and meaningless. If you need to know a specific chemical level, there are drop tests for every common component of pool water. TDS tells you nothing specific.
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by JoyfulNoise View Post
    No. TDS is unnecessary and meaningless. If you need to know a specific chemical level, there are drop tests for every common component of pool water. TDS tells you nothing specific.
    Matt,

I pretty sure it tells the pool store to try and sell the customer some more "magic"...

Jim R.
    Finished in 2015 - 17K Gal, IG, 20' x 25' Almost Rectangular Pool, Pebble finish, three rockport water falls. Pentair Equipment: EasyTouch 4, IC40 SWG, 3 HP VS Pump, CCP520 Cartridge Filter.
    TF100 with SpeedStir and SampleSizer, ColorQ Pro 7, Dolphin Premier Robot Cleaner, added Screen Logic 2, added small 3 person Caldera Spa.

4. Back To Top    #4

Well, if you just have to know what TDS is, this is how you calculate it -

TDS (in mg/L) = (0.6 x adjusted TA) + [CYA] + [Na+] + [Ca2+] + [Mg2+] + [SO4 -]+ [Cl -]+ [NO3 -] + [NO2 -] + [NH4+]

You can ignore the ammonium and nitrite because those would not be found in a properly chlorinated pool. If no dry acid is used, then ignore the sulfates. Magnesium can be calculated by running the CH hardness test twice - once with R-0010 and once without then subtract the two. One can use the K-1766 to determine salt level which would be [Na+] + [Cl-].
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

Yeah, take a $100 bill and rip it up in small peices, throw in pool, count pieces that sink. That is your TDS
    Casey
    Intex 24' x 52" closed for winter 2018, 2 Main Drains, 1 Skimmer, 1 Return, PVC
    1/2 HP Intex Pump 633T w/ Taeglus TA-40 175 lb 19.5" Sand Filter, Auqabot Extreme Robot
    TF-50 and Taylor 2006 Test Kits, Quality Well Water, Fleck 5800SXT Water Softener

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

Ok thank you
    1500 gallons SPA. 104
    IG, Plaster, 6years old.
    Sand filter Triton ll TR140.
    Taylor K-2006 Complete Pool
    Pentair brominator feeder using bromine. Bi-carbonate. Calcium chloride.